When is it okay to drive? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When is it okay to drive? When is it okay to drive?

Unread 08-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Re: When is it okay to drive?

I was told 2 weeks when I was released last week, but my nurse today said 2 more weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2009, 07:53 PM

I had daVinci surgery and was able to drive within a few days, BUT only because I wasn't on any pain medication and my incision were not impeded by the seat belt, and I could hit the brakes without any pain. It varies from person-to-person, and surgical procedure, so it is best to get a straight answer from your doctor. Good luck!
Unread 08-19-2009, 07:59 PM

All great advice! You have an abdominal incision and that makes a BIG difference over laporo or vag!! I would think 2 weeks would be too soon for TAH...only you and your Dr know your situation and how ready you are. Definitely call your Dr!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2009, 08:30 PM

I had my TAH July 30 and took a short drive about two weeks later. I was ready to be home and comfy on the couch! Thank goodness there wasn't much traffic because I think I was driving as slowly as I'm walking!
DHK
Unread 08-19-2009, 08:43 PM

Thanks you sisters for the great advice.
Unread 08-21-2009, 07:37 AM

My doc said whenever I felt ok. I had a TAH/LSO on August 11 (3-4 inch incision)and drove for the first time on August 19.

As a side note, I did some reading about this and there is only one scientific study I could find about driving after hysterectomy. It was done in New Zealand. The purpose of the study was to see what kinds of recommendations physicians and surgeons gave their patients about when to drive after a variety of different types of hysterectomy procedures. The results were really all over the place. Doctors told patients anything from "as soon as you feel comfortable" to (not before 8 weeks."

I guess the best rule is not not drive until you feel safe doing it.
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:59 AM

My surgery was the 12th. My doc was vague about driving, said I could in a few days but I hadn't felt like trying. I am going to give it a go today, meeting a friend for lunch, just a short trip.
Unread 08-21-2009, 10:17 AM

I tried driving yesterday. Only about 6 miles. By the time I was half way there, I had pinching and pulling and was sure I wouldn't make it there and home. Luckily my MIL was there and drove us home. I also tried to "hussle" through the store to get to a hair appointment... my body did NOT want to hussle. So at 2 1/2 weeks, I'm apparently not ready yet.
Unread 08-21-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWannaBPainFree View Post
I'm 4weeks post-op and have not driven yet.
Definately check w/your doc---
I had complications and was really not physically ready to drive before this. My belly still hurts and I'm going to try to ease in to it.
hi IWannaBPainFree, we had our hysters done on the same day so im also 4weeks post op and havent driven yet, also had complications and my belly is still hurting lol i have had someone to do the driving for me up to this point. next week i have a dr appt so im going to give it a try and go myself seeing as its not that far of a drive.
Unread 08-21-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placa View Post
I had my TAH on 8/4. Just wondering when I can drive.
My short answer would be "when your doctor tells you it's ok"

I had an abdominal hysterectomy as well, and my discharge instructions said no driving until my third week, AFTER my two week followup. The doctor explained that there were many factors involved in driving restrictions. There is the issue of drugs, although I didn't take any narcotics for pain so that wasn't an issue for me. However, he said that driving requires an amazingly large amount of abdominal muscle use; turning the steering wheel, operating the foot pedals, etc. Then, there are the inevitable little emergencies that crop up while driving. The doctor said swerving to avoid a collision requires sharp, forceful movement of the whole upper body and, if one is also mashing on the brake at the same time, a good amount of lower body movement. The simple act of swerving to avoid, say, a dog crossing the street can possibly result in injury to healing incisions.

Scary stuff indeed... I was released to drive at two weeks but didn't work up the nerve to try in until close to four weeks later.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register