I'm new and need some help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm new and need some help I'm new and need some help

Unread 12-26-2001, 09:24 AM
I'm new and need some help

Hi all,

I don't really know where to start since this is all so new to me. I was just told last Friday that I will need to have a hysterectomy. I have been dealing with a very prolapsed uterus for some time now. I'll be 41 next month and I'm the single mother of a 22 year old. I don't plan to have any more children so I don't really mind having a hysterectomy. However, I am scared and I don't know what to expect. I don't have a date scheduled yet because I first need to figure out how I'm going to manage being out of work for 4 to 6 weeks and how I'll pay my bills. Since my income is the only income, I don't know how I'll do it.

Anyway, if anyone can give me a clue as to what to expect when I do go for the hysterectomy, I will be so grateful. I've never had any kind of surgery before so this is scary. The doctor says I am a good candidate for a vaginal hysterectomy and she says that's a good thing. Are there many major risks involved? I don't want to end up with a worse problem than I have right now.

Thanks for listening and I wish all of you who going through this right now, the very best of luck.

Kar120
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2001, 11:32 AM

Hi Kar120,
You are coping with a lot of new information. Learning that you need a hyst can be very unsettling. You have come to a good place. Having an ongoing health condition can be a drain, hopefully you will feel better physically and mentally when it is alleviated.

I would recommend the home page, princesses tell their stories, as a good intro. While there may not be many options for you, you might want a second opinion from another physician.

My surgery was abdominal, so I can't refer to your specific questions. Most sisters recommend a donut pillow for vaginal surgeries. It is important to rest when you get home. My doctor let me stay up as long as I wanted, as long as I rested when I was tired. The first few days, my concentration was shorter, but I still enjoyed reading. After a week or so my longer projects were more appealing.

Regardless of how the surgery is done, you may want to eat lighter foods at first (the sorts of things that appeal to you when you are a little queasy). It takes the intestines a little bit to relocate and settle down. Be sure to drink lots! If you will be staying alone, stock up on the heavier things you can buy ahead. My doctor still does not want be lifting over 10 pounds (5 the first month). Plan on not driving for 2-3 weeks.

I hope that someone else can help with your questions. It is a relief not to have to worry about the problems I was having before surgery. Jan
Unread 12-26-2001, 02:43 PM

I also had an abdominal hyst, but much of the recovery for a vaginal is the same - there are still as many internal stitches with a vaginal as an abdominal, the only difference is the external incision that we "abdominals" have to deal with.

Personally, I didn't find the actual pain that bad, especially after the first 4 or 5 days. The thing that surprised me the most during recovery was how fatigued I was during the early weeks. I went back to work full time (office work) at 6 weeks, but don't think I would have been able to go back much sooner. Up until week 5, I really needed to lie down every afternoon for awhile.

During the early weeks, I spent lots of time reading, watching videos, and working on some hand sewing projects. I slowly increased my activity level - started with very short walks until I worked my way back up to about 2 miles at 5 or 6 weeks.

I feel that I had a very good recovery, and please realize that everyone has a bit of a different recovery, but I hope this gives you a little idea of what to expect.

Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2001, 04:10 PM

Hi Kar! I also had a TVH for prolapsed uterus and other problems. You will probably need to plan on being out of work for 4-6 weeks. I don't know what kind of work you do. The very earliest I would plan on going back would be 4 weeks, but truthfully I could not have done it. I went back (receptionist) at 6 weeks but could only manage part time. However, everyone is a little different. At 6 weeks I was released to go back to normal activities, but was I able to do all of my normal activities? No! I did things slowly for a while and built up to normal speed. You are going to have lots of internal work done with lots of internal stitches and it does take awhile for the stitches to dissolve. I'd follow your doc's instructions to a T and really listen to your body.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic....but, this was my experience. I went into my TVH pretty physically fit, but still tired easily for a while. My doc said no lifting over 5 lbs. the first 3 weeks and just slightly more than than the next 3 weeks. You will need some help with things for at least the 1st week because about the only thing you should be doing is walking to the bathroom and resting. After that you can walk around the house some and increase it slowly day by day.

Here are some links that may be of interest to you:

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...1&daysprune=30

Hope this helps!

Sherry
Unread 12-26-2001, 07:53 PM

I wish to thank all of you who replied to my post and to all of you who emailed me. I have such a feeling of comfort knowing that there are so many caring and understanding ladies out there.

I'm starting to feel a little less anxious about the actual surgery and for now I'm concentrating on the financial aspect. Bills must be paid so I'll have to be resourceful. Either way, I need to have the TVH so I'll figure the finances out somehow.

I've been living with discomfort for too long now and I really think that once all the healing is done, I'll be a much happier lady.

So far I am loving this site and feeling very much at home here. I hope that after I finally do get my hysterectomy that I too will be able to help other ladies with my support.

Thank you all!

Kar120
Unread 12-26-2001, 08:46 PM
Kar1

Hi there and WELCOME!!!! Another new LIW that is cool the more the merrier.
Well mate i know that you will find this just the very best site. The sisters here are just the best for support and hugs. Use all the pull down menus and get as much information as you can. any questions please do not hesitate to post and ask.
I am 14 weeks post from having a LAVH/RSO. Amongst severe endeo and fibroids I had a severe prolapse of both the uterus and bladder. I could not use tampons etc and life was just starting to get miserable. I can honestly say that having it done vaginally with the LAVH was the best thing I could have done. I had a brilliant woman surgeon who did a wonderful job and am happy that i had it that way.
I would still allow for a good 6 to 8 weeks recovery, some say it is quicker for a vaginal, but you still have heaps of internal stitches and it does take awhile. Everyone heals at their own pace, some are slow some faster. I had hardly any pain at all, just abit of backache. I never needed a morphine pump just a shot of morphine on leaving theatre and then anti inflamortory and pain tablets.
Please also make use of the chat room, there you will also find heaps of support and advice. It is a great place and also there is a laugh to help ease the nerves.
Hope this has helped you. Keep us informed as to how you are getting on and when you get your date etc... Hugs Vicki (AKA Smilie)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register