Scheduled TAH Post Op'ers-Immediately after awaking from general anesthesia - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op'ers-Immediately after awaking from general anesthesia Post Op'ers-Immediately after awaking from general anesthesia

Unread 10-17-2012, 06:46 AM
Re: Post Op'ers-Immediately after awaking from general anesthesia

I woke up in pain and they gave me iv pain meds (not sure what) in the recovery room. I was walking a few hours later. I recalled from my c sections that the sooner you walk the faster you heal. I walked about three times the first day (just around the hospital wing). Once in my hospital room they gave me 5mg percocet every 4-6 hours. It wasn't enough. I ended up getting a shot of morphine twice, and that did the trick. I may have overdone it a bit walking the first day. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattle gal View Post
People don't always remember what you did or what you said but they NEVER forget how you made them feel.

so very true! You can be the smartest nurse but if you don't have the compassion or the right attitude you're either in the wrong profession or ready to retire.

Blessed be
Unread 10-17-2012, 12:45 PM

After waking up from the anesthesia, I asked if I had stitches or staples. The nurse in recovery got tickled because I was to upset about the staples to want pain medicine. They put me on the Morphine pump just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2012, 06:06 PM

I woke up in a lot of pain in recovery HOWEVER the nurses attending to me quickly got it under control. Then I fell back asleep and woke again in two hrs feeling much better. I would relate it to labor pains but the painkillers they give almost instantly take effect. Now I'm 10 hrs post op and on a pump but only had to push the button 4 times. And pain is very manageable. Hope this helps.
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:24 PM

@eener414-you made me laugh, pain had no chance with you being aggravated over your staples, glad the nurse realized you might need meds eventually

@Rom1221-thanks for posting your experience specially since you just had surgery! Hope your recovery is going well for you.
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:13 PM

Wow Cattle Gal that was awful! The last thing you need from the people that are supposed to be there to help you!

I opted out of the spinal (not epidural) because I did not not want to be at the mercy of people I did not know. I wanted to be able to use my legs when and if I needed them. As it turned out, it was a wise decision on my part.

Very long story short, the nursing care after I left the recovery room was abysmal!!! I probably could have gone home the following day if my pain had been managed better. Even the doctor agreed that I was so far behind on pain management that it would take longer to get it under control. The nursing staff just didn't get it - even though my doc explained the large MIDLINE incision they could not see under the dressing! When I did manage to get out of bed after getting medication, I was so stiff because until that point I didn't move a muscle because if I didn't move, it hurt less!!!

I have all of the nurses names firmly etched in my mind and will write my thoughts on their lack of caring when the time comes! Also, not once in the 48 hours I was in the hospital was I offered any comfort measures - I was in the same gown from day one, same sheets etc. I brushed my teeth and washed my face with my husbands help!! I told everyone that I survived my stay in the hospital!

I have the survey from the hospital - they will get a lot more than they expected!
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:21 PM

Had my SAH last Tuesday. Pain was my biggest fear and when I woke up in recovery I had moderate pain - maybe 7 on the pain scale. But I am also rather prone to anxiety and my bigger problem was a panic attack. Was given drugs for both and it was soon all quite bearable. They ask you if it hurts and if it does they fix it! Don't worry. Overall the pain I experienced was far less than I expected...and I am not brave!
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:56 PM

I am one day post Op- I did have pain but the toradol helped, I also had Ice and heat pads- I am aleric to most narcotics so I am just doing the advil as well. I have a patch for nausa which has been a huge help I think
Unread 10-18-2012, 07:37 PM

I woke up in no pain. The sweet nurse was surprised and checked with me more than once to make sure I was still ok and didn't need any meds. Mostly the catheter just felt weird and my mouth was so dry. My nurse made sure I got ice chips for that right away. It was around 1when I woke up and I ended up not needing anything till 9 when they gave me percocet before bed. When anesthesia came by to see me the next morning I told them they did a great job
Unread 10-18-2012, 09:46 PM

@bobbie7- I'm so sorry you had a bad experience also... And my survey will also reflect that. I was suppose to be able to go home that night also, the Dx said it would be late but as soon as I was cleared, peeing, eating etc I could have left. Which is what I wanted. But same thing on my end. The pain just got to far out of control. I was barely able to leave the next afternoon and suffered several days after. But I am alive and doing much better now!

How are you now? Hope things are good!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register