yoga positions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

yoga positions yoga positions

Unread 05-16-2003, 12:58 PM
yoga positions

hi all!!
i have been practicing yoga for some time now but recently stopped cuz of my prolapse. i've read that some positions were very bad but i haven't been able to find out which ones they were. one of my questions is --does any one know which positions are bad? and the second question is-- does any one know of any tapes out there that might be created just for women who had a hyster. iam eager to get back on my mat and excersize but i don't want to hurt myself. thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2003, 01:23 PM
yoga positions

I don't know for sure, but I remember reading that women shouldn't do any of the inverted poses while they are having their periods.

Do you have an instructor? S/he may be able to tell you what poses to avoid.

And about getting back to it after surgery - I don't know of any tapes that are made specifically for post op, I would guess that could lead to issues of medical liability.

Check with your DR about when you can resume, and what type of poses would be ok. In general it's 6-8 weeks before you are allowed to do anything that pulls, stretches, twists, or otherwise works the abds.
Unread 05-16-2003, 01:25 PM
yoga positions

Hi

I do a bit of yoga, too - but I'm not really sure which positions would be avoided post-hyst, other than using common sense and not doing the obviously difficult inverted poses for awhile.

What I *would* do though, is try and get a list/description or maybe a printout with pictures of poses, and give them to your doctor to look at - maybe s/he would be able to tell from seeing the actual poses, which ones may be more troublesome than others. I do know there are a couple of websites that have cute pictures of various positions - just take a screen shot of these, and print them out. Or take a yoga book with you

As for tapes, I'm not aware of anything that is specifically for post-hyst patients - there is one that's out of publication that was aimed at post-stroke patients, but that's not quite the same thing. Perhaps the "Yoga For Round Bodies" might be helpful, as the poses are heavily modified for different body shapes and conditions?

Anyway, best of luck with it - it's important to stay flexible and strong, and moreso when we're healing!

Many warm wishes,

Tess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2003, 01:43 PM
yoga positions

ugh no stretching!!
that will be the one thing that will be the hardest for me NOT to do. i have to stretch every morning to get going and work my back achies out. plus i love all the stretches that work my abs...i think they make me look thinner.
i practice at home so i don't have any instructors to turn to and i don't think there are any creditable ones in my area. but will look into it.

Tess73....do you remember what the websites were that had pictures of the positions on it. i think it's a great idea to take some copies in to my doc. thanks!!!
Unread 05-16-2003, 03:45 PM
yoga positions

Hiya

Here's a couple of URLs for you - it's a bit inconvenient as each position is generally on a different page, and you'd have to print each page to check with your doc, but it's still doable.

http://www.yogacards.com/yoga-postures.html
http://sivasakti.com/articles/intro-yantra.html
http://www.yogasite.com/postures.html

Failing that, your local library is sure to have a couple of books with illustrated postures

Good luck!

Tess

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register