Pain with BM | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-27-2005, 07:56 AM
Pain with BM

HI there!
I have a questions. The dr. is fairly certain I have endo (obviously, we are doing a hyst!), but noone has actually laid eyes on it yet.

So, as we sisters tend to do I've been thinking about everything and contemplating my symptoms and what not and realized that I always get constipated during Aunt FLo's visit. After much thought I decided this is because it *hurts* to go during my flow. Not in my bottom, but in my abdomen. Really sharp pain in the lower abdomen when I go or attempt to move my bowels. Towards the end of FLo - all is well again. Could this be from endo on the bowel?

Anyone else experience this?

Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2005, 08:06 AM
Pain with BM

Jo, Have you mention this to your dr? I always have more trouble with constipation with my period. I would check it out though to make sure nothing is blocking your bowels and or small intestine. Nice isn't it to have no dignity left? Who though I would still be talking about bms at 48 with no children home??? I feel like going to the dr and saying what the heck do you bother with the stupid sheet for???? Anyhow Jo ycould also have one of those nasty entroceles and have to give yourself a ribbon too! Ihope someone can answer you question better.
gram
Unread 05-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Pain with BM

dram,
I haven't mentioned it yet, but will on the 3rd when I go for pre-op. I know way back when we first started talking about surgery that he was adding "possible bowel resection" to my consent form, just in case, because of the endo. He did do a rectal exam when he saw me last week and didn't have much to say, SO I assumed he didn't feel any thing nasty at least that far in there.

In terms of the sheet, I mentioned this to my regular gyn one day. About how I thought it was funny how I always take special care to make sure my bra and panties are tucked away inside my other clothes because I don't want him to see them. Two seconds later he's got his fingers in my vagina, etc. He laughed and said there is something to that. He said he's always very careful entering a room because if he walks in while his patient is still undressing it embarasses him too! Isn't that funny?

Something about the way we are socialized, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for your input. HOping to hear from other sisters as well!

Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Pain with BM

HI JO, I don't really have a definate answer for you but I can say that when my problems got to the point that I could no longer take the pain and went to the doc at first he thought I had endo and wanted to put me on the lupron injections. so that night I went home and did some research on endo and lupron. and I discovered that with endo a women can experience bowel problems with the monthly cycle. as it turned out I had adeno not endo. but I just thought I would share that bit of info with you. but only your doc can say for sure what the exact problem is with you. Take Care and Good Luck, Cathy
Unread 05-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Pain with BM

Hi Jo,

I had pain with every BM, every day of the month, and I was diagnosed with cholitis. I'm six weeks post-op from TAH/BSO because of endo, and my BM pain is *gone*! Both my OB/GYN and GP think my pain was endo-related all along. We just didn't realize it until that awful disease was dealt with. Wishing you the best of luck for a pain-free life!

MB
Unread 05-28-2005, 06:16 AM
Pain with BM

Thank you for the unput, ladies!
I 'm very much looking forward to a pain free life! I will be sure and mention this to my dr. on Friday. How exactly do you bring this up though? Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you about this fairly important symptom..... Ugh!
Jo
Unread 05-28-2005, 06:56 AM
Pain with BM

HI JO, I did not realize that I had a bowel problem until I was talking with my sister one day .not even sure how we got on the subject. but what it boiled down to was me telling her that I would only have a BM maybe twice a week. she told me that it did not sound normal to her . it had been going on for years so I just thought it was me. anyways a couple of days later I had a appt with my GYN and I said to him that I thought there might be a problem with my bowels too. so he asked me what I ment by a problem so I told him about the lack of BM's. and he said well that it did not sound right to him either. and as it turned out my problem was that I had adhesions from past 5 surgerys that were wrapped around my bowels and pulling them down. so 5wks port op they are working better than ever. so I would say just go in there and tell him about it. I know it might be uncomfortable for you to do this but I am sure the doc has heard this all before. anyways take care and good luck, Cathy
Unread 05-28-2005, 06:57 AM
Pain with BM

Jo, I felt the same way so I called and talked to the nurses and they said this happens all the time and the dr called me back.We talked over the phone first I just said I had been too embarrassed to bring this up but it was effecting the quality of my life and I thought b4 we go in there blah blah blah and for me it was a good way to begin the process. Everyone was very kind to me. Good luck Jo. It is like putting your undies under your clothes kind of thing. Marg
Unread 05-28-2005, 07:00 AM
Pain with BM

Thanks, Cathy!

You know, I didn't not mention it on purpose, but when you live with this stuff day after day, much like you, I didn't realize it was a problem.
I'm thinking very seriously of putting it as an asterisked sentence at the top of my list of questions I am going to hand him, then it sort of introduces itself, you know?

Jo
Unread 05-28-2005, 07:01 AM
Pain with BM

Marg!
Your post snuck in there while I was posting! It is definitely not going to be the first time he has heard it, and the intellectual side of me knows that! Unfortunately, it doesn't always seem to be that side of me that starts talking at the appointments!

haha
Jo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register