Sorry ahead of time--I need to vent | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sorry ahead of time--I need to vent Sorry ahead of time--I need to vent

Unread 05-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Sorry ahead of time--I need to vent

Last monday was my annual physical- I was diag. w/endo about 7 years ago. I am 32 and have a beautiful 15 year old daughter. Endo runs very heavy in our family-in fact my doc is 99% sure that my daughter is already suffering from it. Anyway, I went back to see my doc on Wed. Thurs they called I am scheduled for a LAVH on May 22.

So, I have been very "light" when discussing this with my daughter. She is kind of a mother hen--she cries when she sees me with a migrain. So I dont really want her to be as nervous as I am.

Well, my pain-in-the-neck husband (her step-dad) decided to tell my daughter that I might DIE!! We we planting flowers for mothers day and she says mom I am worried about your surgery. I told her everything would be ok--and then she said well Dewey said you could die......... How was I suppose to respond to that?? I tried again to expain to her that there are risks but 25% of us ladies will have on-Both of her grandmothers have had one..

Anyway, I think I might have to kill him for being so insensitive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2007, 02:31 PM

I get that totally, I am a single parent of two teenaged sons and my mother is a worrier and I think she has been feeding them some mis-information about my surgery...they seem awfully worried and my youngest won't leave me alone for a second. I have explained it as such..there are small risks with any surgery...but I am healthy and Itruly beleive everything will be fine...women have this surgery everyday and are fine also....it seemed to ease their anxiety a little but it won't remove it totally...as I worry myself sometimes, but talking it through seems to help.
Unread 05-14-2007, 02:53 PM

I didn't understand your last sentence, but there is only a 3% death rate with a Hysterectomy according to the AMA. A Hysterectomy has one of the lowest complication and death rates. Yes, he should not have told her that without you being present, but let her know that this risk is very, very low and to come to YOU with her concerns.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2007, 02:57 PM

oopps, what I was trying to say (cant type) was 25% of women will have a hyst.

Thanks for the replys
Unread 05-14-2007, 04:14 PM

My doctor told me I stood a better chance of dying just driving to the mall. In Dallas traffic, I might well have to agree!

Kim
LAVH/BSO with Climara patch
Unread 05-14-2007, 04:37 PM

I don't know what to tell you to tell your daughter. Telling her you have a better chance of dying while driving cross town might just add another concern. I think the best you can do is just be open and supportive and she will process this as best she can. I think just like we go through a series of emotions so do those closest to us.

Now, I find your DH's comments though regretable also an indication he is scared you might die. Have you talked to him about his fears? I know you probably want to slug him but it sounds like he needs some reassurance.

I am sure all will go well and 10 days from now you will be home and resting.

Julie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register