Trip planned for the weekend, is it Too Soon???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trip planned for the weekend, is it Too Soon???? Trip planned for the weekend, is it Too Soon????

Unread 06-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Trip planned for the weekend, is it Too Soon????

My hubby planned a trip for us that is 3 hrs away prior to my TAH. We are supposed to be traveling with another couple to a concert then go to an amusement park this weekend. I am almost at 5 weeks post-op and feel really good other than occasional fatigue. I am really looking forward to spending some time relaxing and having fun with my husband, but am a little nervous because the six week mark isn't here yet. I feel good, but I don't want to have any complications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2006, 12:45 PM
I am traveling too

I had my surgery on May 23, had my two week checkup and my doc said it was okay for me to travel. I am going on a weekend to inlaws for nephews graduation, on week 4. It is a 3 - 4 hour drive. Then the following week, (5) am going on a trip to see daughter in Co a two day drive!

My doc said I was healing well, and as long as we stopped every hour to walk around a bit. I should be fine.

I am not walking around an amusement park, and that may be a bit much, but maybe you could find a cool place to rest while they ride the rides, etc.

Maybe call your doc and see what he says, I know it makes me feel better knowing my doc cleared me for travel.
Unread 06-09-2006, 12:51 PM

Please plan plenty of time to put your feet up. As long as you are not driving and can put the car seat back a bit you should be ok on the drive. The concert should be ok, but please be careful at the amusement park. No rides where the bar hits your belly. Don't want to disrupt anything still healing inside. And be sure and keep your eye out for places to sit and rest. I would err on the cautious side.
I went on a 3 hour weekend trip at 5+ weeks and needed two days to recover. But it was my parents 60th anniversary so what are you going to do. Went, had a great time, put my feet up every time I could and still crashed when I got home. But it was worth it.
Oh, and I found support hose or panties with a little support help a LOT.
Have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2006, 02:02 PM

Hi JJ74, I'm happy that you are feeling good enough to want to go out! That's great. Now I am a PRO at parks so here are some very good tips. Make sure you have plenty of meds with you. Even the ones you stopped taking. Cause when you start to swell (and you will) the park people will not be able to give you anything you didn't bring yourself. Next, make sure you drink alot. I'm in FL and I can't even begin to tell you how many well tourists make this mistake in the parks. Plz stand, sit, wait, in the shade. The Sisters are right. Always look for a seat nearby and ask if someone will let you sit down if there isn't an open spot. People really don't mind sharing when they are having fun in a park.
But here's a better idea. Go ahead and get a wheelchair when you go in. Or bring your own. Now plz, I know, you dont want to be that much of a bother. But let me tell you that's what those puppies are for. My BIL is permanently in a wc and HE told me to do it. And he was right. This way you will always have a place to sit and if you want you can "park" it somewhere and walk a little and then go back to it. Now a scooter would be better, but the wc is fine if someone else is pushing. If you find yourself just getting plain ole too tired go to the First Aid area and tell them. All the parks I've gone to not only have a place to go if you hurt yourself, but they also have quietrooms there were you can lay down. Obviously they don't advertise this, but with your meds in hand you can show them that your body needs a break. I have done this myself and it helped me so much. Disney has some "timeout quiet areas" that are for children and families which most people don't even know about. That's so they can take a break if needed.
And finally, try and setup the back seat of the car in such a way that you could actually lay down if you needed to. Now this is only if it's absolutely necessary since it's better to situp and be belted in. I'm just recommending this as a backup if you decide to take a little "cat nap" in the car, in the shade while others are eating or shopping but can still see you. You know, when the car isn't moving.
So please use these tips if they will help. I hope I wasn't overly helpful!! :O And you have the best time ever enjoying the scenery, listening to the crowds and thinking how you've
started your new painfree life. Yippy!
Unread 06-09-2006, 02:26 PM

Thanks so much for all of the tips!!! I going to go and try to enjoy myself. I have been caring for my kids for the past few weeks without much help and feel like being up and around was probably a good thing for me. I still am not doing all of the housework I usually do, but the kiddos and husband have been pretty good about helping out. Of course, I wouldn't invite company over just yet.
I want to ride the rides and really live it up. We rarely get to go out alone and I am going stir crazy with the restrictions. I will try to contain myself and not be too wild!!!
Unread 06-09-2006, 06:02 PM

I would think that your body will tell you how much to do. For myself, I cannot imagine riding rides. I am 5 weeks yesterday, but it seems everyone is different. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Unread 06-10-2006, 07:29 AM

I went on a 5 hour trip at 5 1/2 weeks. I swelled quite a bit. My suggestion is to stop a lot and make sure you keep the bladder empty. I was sore when I reached my mother's house and had to rest the next day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register