My visit to the Castle | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My visit to the Castle My visit to the Castle

Unread 07-16-2002, 09:24 AM
My visit to the Castle

Hi everyone~
My surgery is over and here's my story.

It started on Tuesday, at Pre-op, I was looking at all the papers and noticed the doctor's name was similar, but different on all the wristbands and labels printed out. So I asked, she agreed, they would have to reprint every piece of paper again. I asked, but never did figure out what this doctor's specialty was.
On Wednesday, the dr's office called and then put me on hold, not very long but it seemed an eternity to me. I was so afraid they would have to cancel, then again I wanted them to cancel. When she came back, she said my surgery had been moved up an hour.

My DH and I arrrived 7 am Thursday morn. I went and got the gown on. I had to take 4 pills with one tiny cup of water. I don't like pills, so she got me a little more water. I got my IV hooked up and the A-man came to see me. Then my doc came to see me and verified that yes, I was anemic. All my other dr's said I was not anemic. Everything was set. I don't remember being wheeled into OR, but woke up to see them getting everything set up. Everyone seemed very busy. A lady put her cold hands on my face and told me I was going to be fine and that's all I remember.
I slept the rest of the day and woke up throwing up. I did that several times during the next few hours. The nurse was very good and took real good care of me. The next day, they got me up, IV and all, to the bathroom. I was surprised how hungry I was when they brought breakfast. About ever hour I had to get up and go to the bathroom, then I also walked around the nurse's station.
My boys thought it was pretty funny that i had to pass gas to get more solid food and offered me many helpful hints. LOL. Friday all I did was sleep and get up to go to the bathroom. Boredom set in on Saturday and I kept busy walking, playing cards and sleeping. Didn't really feel like reading anything.

The one thing I wish I had brought was the backscratcher. My left foot kept itching and there was no way to scratch it.
I had brought my nightgown with me, absolutely sure I would want it. I ended staying in the hospital gown, (they changed me each morning). My family brought my pillow to me, which was a big help. I wish I had brought my body pillow to get comfy with.
Once I laid on my side on my pillow, I was able to pass gas and that really lessened the pain in my belly.
My story is pretty uneventful and the only uncomfortable part was the throwing up. When I got home Sunday morning, I sat at my kitchen table and I realized it is finally over. All the worry, fears, apprehension and anxiety are done. It was such a big relief. My fears were far worse than the actual thing. It great to look forward to getting well and being on the better side. ( Another lady here had said that and I agree)
Thank you for all the help and guidance the last few months.
Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2002, 09:42 AM
My visit to the Castle

Kathy,

It's so good to hear everything went well for you and all my prayers are with you during your recovery. I just thought I would say HI since i also live in Las Vegas......haven't seen many sisters in vegas. My TAH is scheduled for July 25th and of course i'm scared out of my wits. It's so helpful to read positive things about the procedure.

What hospital were you in? I'm going into Mountainview because it's close to home. Just a little nervous.....i've never been in a hospital before and hope the nurses are nice!

Hope your recovery goes well and remember to !!!

Take care!
Alison
Unread 07-16-2002, 09:44 AM
Great!

Kathy,

Thanks for posting. Don't you love being 'unremarkable'? My surgery was much like yours . . . no surprises, nothing worth writing home about.

I'm glad it's over for you and as long as you follow your princess training, drink, rest, walk, rest, you'll soon be better than ever.

Take care of yourself.

Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2002, 10:06 AM
My visit to the Castle

Welcome Home, Kathy!

You did it!! And now you're on the other side.

All of the info and support I got here helped with alot of my pre-op fears, but there still was the unknown factor of how I, personally, would handle surgery, post-op pain etc. It is such a relief to get through it "uneventfully", isn't it?

So, now it's your turn to rest and enjoy the pampering! You've earned it.

Cecee
Unread 07-16-2002, 08:00 PM
Bac432

Alison,
Hi, I was also at Mountainview Hosp. I can answer any questions you may have. there should be an email button at the bottom of this message.
Take care,
Kathy

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register