Total Hyst. scheduled for the 19th | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Total Hyst. scheduled for the 19th Total Hyst. scheduled for the 19th

Unread 07-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Total Hyst. scheduled for the 19th

And I'm getting really nervous. I don't know and won't know until afterwards if it will be vaginal or abdominal. I don't have any pre-op info or instructions yet either. I feel like I'm so totally in the dark. I plan on spending as much time as I can reading on this site over the next few days. Maybe this will help alleviate some of my jangled nerves.
Question thundering thru my mind:
What is the aftermath going to be like?
What will sex be like once I get the all clear? I have a good sex life now and don't want that to change unless its for the better.
Will *I* change?
How painful will it be in the days and weeks right after surgery?
How can I help to insure that I heal properly, quickly?
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish I had more definate info. I wish I knew for sure which way this surgery was going to be. I think that alone would help me mentally prepare for this.
I'm going to start reading now. If anyone has some advice, I'm definately open to it!
Thanks,
hippiechick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2004, 12:13 PM

I wasn't sure going into my surgery if I was going to end up with an abdominal or vaginal and would I still have my ovaries when I woke up. I did luck out and I had a TVH and kept my ovaries. It was good for me.

I know you are nervous and have a million questions...your doctor can answer most of them for you. The others you will discover the answers afterwards.

I can tell you that my DH and I had a great sex life before and continue now after. In fact, it's been better for both of us! I don't think I have changed. The only changes in me are that I feel better and I don't have to schedule my life around Aunt Flo. I think those are good changes!

My pain wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be! I woke up in recovery with a pain level of about an 8. After a couple of shots of pain meds, it was down to a 1 or 2 and never went up. I didn't use any pain meds after that.

To make sure you heal properly, just follow your doctor's instructions and most of all, rest, drink lots of water and take short walks!

I wish you luck with your surgery and recovery! Take care of yourself and I will be thinking of you and saying an extra prayer for you!
Unread 07-15-2004, 12:18 PM

Thanks so much for your post Crossfire. I was really wondering if it was normal to not know what kind of surgery you're going in for or not. Just knowing that someone out there went under not knowing is reassuring. I'm doing as I said and reading away in between loads of laundry.
Thanks again for your post.

Hippiechick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2004, 12:45 PM

Hi Sis ,

It's hard to plan for what to expect Post Op when you don't know what type of surgery you will have for sure. But let me tell you this, none of us really know for sure. My Dr. said that all we can do is plan. Whether that plan will change will be up to what they believe is your best interest - the day of surgery. Your team will always choose what is best for you regarding surgery.

I believe you will be surprised at how good you feel Post Op. The pain is real, but a different kind of pain than you are expecting. Not intolerable at all.

How you can effect the best Post Op outcome will be up to you. You will do well because you really WANT to have the best recovery possible. When we say drink lots of fluids, it's the truth. That is key for flushing out all the anesthesia and other "junk" from you system. Walking is suggested in moderation according to how you feel. You will find that you can do more every week. Rest is self explanatory. The healing is in the sleep/rest. If our body replaces much of itself during sleep, can you imagine what's going on during Post Op Sleep?? wow...

Lifting and reaching are such s that I can't even begin to say. Nothing heavier than a Jug of milk (1/2 gal. size) and no reaching past your shoulder height. Lastly, I laughed at my nurse when she wheeled me out and leaned over and said to my DH, "No vaccuuming for 6 mos.!!!" Darned if she wasn't right. It smarts even at 4 mos. Post.

I can't really comment on the Post Op Sex because that is where we are ALL different. ( it works! )

Best Wishes Girl, Keep reading.
Much Love,
AnnieWoof
Unread 07-15-2004, 02:18 PM

hippichick,

I have not had my surgery yet so I still have some of the same questions and concerns as you. Why are you having this surgery? That will have a barring on what your recovery will be like.

The vaginal operation will mean less recovery time, and the abdominal generally means it will be more painful but not unbareable. The rest helps and keeping on top of the pain medication.

I had major surgery in December and the dr. told me to expect this to be the same. Everyday got much better than the day before.

You will be okay. And then you can tell me all about it. My hyster is August 10 th. Good luck!

k9

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register