Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: If you had a hysterectomy, did you keep your ovaries?
Yes, I kept my ovaries. 2,500 47.55%
Yes, I kept ONE ovary. 592 11.26%
Yes, I kept one/both ovaries but they were removed during a later surgery. 78 1.48%
No, both ovaries were removed during my hysterectomy. 2,088 39.71%
Voters: 5258. You may not vote on this poll

Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries?

Unread 01-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries?

Kathy, you and I were in the same mindset regarding keeping our ovaries. I am 49, menopause did not seem on the horizon, and doctor said my ovaries were still ovulating and looked great. I also have anxiety and a family history of mental concerns after hysterectomies. I am three weeks post-op and am doing wonderfully. I was glad to not have an outer incision to deal with also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2009, 08:09 AM

Both my surgeon and my pcp highly recommended having both ovaries removed. They both said the same thing - I'd already been through menopause, I had a history of ovarian cysts that rupture and make me quite ill and I'd never have to worry about developing ovarian cancer.

I had them both removed. I'm glad I agreed. I feel so much better having had the surgery and the hot flashes are something I was already used to. HRT is not an option for me since I have a blood clotting disorder (Factor V Leiden and Protein S deficiency) and having my ovaries removed really has not affected me much at all.

I'm not having a problem with insomnia - I can sleep through just about anything.
Unread 01-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Wink - Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? Just one left

Going into surgery I knew that my doctor was removing at least one ovary because of cysts and she told me that she would decide whether the second was removed depending on the state of the ovary. In her words "If the ovary is good, we can leave it so you won't get old"". My doc is quite the caracter and I love her. I am 37.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2009, 02:02 PM

And four weeks after surgery, my ovaries are still working. I had one hot flash the day after surgery - first one I have ever had, at age 52 - but no more since. No mood swings either, which is good. I wonder how I will know when menopause comes, but guess it doesn't really matter.

I have several friends who are 52-54 and have no symptoms of menopause yet, and one who just finished her 1-year period-free at age 60. And two acquaintances who had surprise babies at age 54 and 56. At least I don't have to worry about that now! It must be something in the drinking water around here.

Kathy
LAVH 12/10/08
Unread 01-10-2009, 04:49 PM

I had both ovaries removed because I had uterine cancer and we had to remove all spread sites. I am 33 years old and that kind of cancer is very rare in women under 60. Better to be safe tham risk a spread, so bye bye all female organs...I had my surgery 10 days ago...
Unread 01-10-2009, 07:09 PM

I told my doctor I wanted to keep my ovaries even though I was 48 when I had my hysterectomy. He said that since menopause happens so late in my family he would leave them if they looked okay. So far, they seem to still be working. I don't even think about it much, feel like I did before the surgery, and am VERY glad not to have any more periods!
Unread 01-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Thumbs up - Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries?

Yep! Seems you and I are in the 2007 sisters group and I agree with you 100%!

I never realized how much I missed out on life due to my periods until I didn't have any!!

Some women don't let that time of the month prevent them from doing whatever, no matter how bad they bleed. I wasn't one of them. To be checking out restrooms the minute you get somewhere only to find you have to make 20 minute visits just isn't right. It's downright not the normal way a woman's body should work in that case; not to mention, it's so embarassing to be running in and out that frequent.

Now I hop in the car whenever I want; go on a trip whenever I want; and the best thing, it's one less thing I have to be concerned about in my otherwise hectic life!
Unread 01-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Wink - Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? Lyssa43

I had both of my ovaries removed on Dec 5,2008 and I do not regret it. I am on hormone pills and so far so good. I have ovarian cancer in my family so 1 less worry. I am 43 years old.
Unread 01-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Lyssa43

I had both by ovaries removed on Dec 5, 2008 and do not regret it.. I am on hormone pills and so far so good. I have a famliy history of ovarian cancer so 1 less thing to worry about.
Unread 01-10-2009, 08:55 PM

I had both ovaries removed.

I'm already post-menopausal at 48 so I didn't have to worry about surgical menopause. I've had at least 2 large cyst, 1 on each ovary within the 6 months prior to surgery. These are only the cyst caught during diagnosis for other health issues. One cyst was segmented that makes it a higher cancer risk. I had to watch my grandma die a horrible death after she was found to have ovarian cancer. Since ovarian cancer is typically not caught until it's advanced--I say good riddance!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register