Day 6 and no BM | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Day 6 and no BM Day 6 and no BM

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Day 6 and no BM

I wrote this in my post on the recovery updates above but was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts?? Here is the post....
I am 6 days out. I have had the urge but nothing. WARNING! Stop reading now as I am about to give On day 4 -- I got the first urge but it was mainly gas. There was about a 3 peas of bm that came with it but since then nothing. Just gas. Should I call my dr?? tomorrow will be a week from surgery. Should I have gone by then??
I am on laxatives, eating lots of applesauce and other things high in fiber as I feel up to eating. Should I try the enema?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Day 6 and no BM

I was doing the same things as you but nothing was working so I had DH go get me some Phillips Milk of Magnesia. It's cramp free so I didn't have any pain and it worked in about 2 hours. I took 3 tablespoons but I suggest half that amount. I went and went and went. But boy did I feel better.

Are you drinking lots of water too?
Unread 06-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Day 6 and no BM

Ladies here suggested warm prune juice and apple juice with pectin helped also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2007, 12:35 AM
Day 6 and no BM

ooohhhh, my bowels feel tight just reading this. My doctor suggested that if I did not have a BM within a couple of days of going home, I go to the chemist/pharmacist and get some Gelatin Suppositories. I was told to stay away from laxatives as they can be aggressive and cause cramps (something you DO NOT want). I was lucky that I was regular from day 4, but I did start on prune juice immediately after surgery and am still having 1 glass per day. Suppositories are gentle and will empty the lower bowel, then you will need some natural softener eaten/drunk to get the upper bowel moving. Good luck with it. If in doubt of what to do, ask your pharmacist, they are brilliant.
Unread 06-29-2007, 06:50 AM
Day 6 and no BM

You might want to switch from applesauce to apple juice. Applesauce is often suggested by Pediatricians for diarrhea, in other words, it binds you up like cheese does. Same with bananas and rice. You must be really uncomfortable. I would call the Dr. and see what is suggested to do. Make sure you are eating foods with lots of fiber, like bran cereal, oatmeal, grain breads, lots of water and getting up and moving a little. Are you still taking pain meds? This will also be a cause. Good Luck!
Jen
Unread 06-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Day 6 and no BM

I was lucky in that regard but make sure you are drinking lots of water and maybe a little mineral oil might help. But be sure your doctor is always aware of your condition. If you are eating solid foods you should be pooping at least a little I would think.
Unread 06-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Day 6 and no BM

My friend brough me some rhubard sauce. Within one hour of eating 1/2 cup, I was going like a champ.

Give it a try; works wonders, and good luck!
Unread 06-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Day 6 and no BM

I was desperate at day 6 and tried Phillips Milk of Mag and had results in 2-3 hours, and like Robin, I was feeling so much better after that.

Good Luck. It's miserable, I know. I'm still having troubles since anesthesia...
Unread 06-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Day 6 and no BM

i took milk of magnesia and it helped quickly with no cramping.
Unread 06-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Day 6 and no BM

called the doc ... said milk of mag, follow directions on bottle use daily for next week. then I should be fine on my own. Thanks everyone for the help!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register