Life after Laproscopic Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Life after Laproscopic Surgery Life after Laproscopic Surgery

Unread 10-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Life after Laproscopic Surgery

I am having LAVH... as long as that means the cervix and uterus are out - laproscopically - and the rest stays.

According to my Dr., "recovery time" after ANY historectomy is 6 weeks. Back to work time is one of the differences between TAH and LAVH. I have been told by my Dr. that I could go back to work in 2 weeks and take it easy. (It's an office/desk job.) I am very interested in hearing from others here about their activity level "clearance" around the 2 week period....And, I know you are out there, those who over-did-it by trying to do too much at 2 weeks. People with office jobs, how comfortable are you sitting in your chair at the keyboard all day?

Also, with my surgery scheduled for a Thursday and return home Saturday, I am hoping to be able to take care of myself by Monday. I would like my husband and children to go back to regular life that Monday. (Oh, I have 4 boys 10 and under and slow down is not a happily accepted phrase in our home.) Ideally, I would like to just have family check in on me during that first week while the "men" are gone. How practical am I being? Should I enlist more help?

-Steph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2007, 07:18 PM

I had LAVH/BSO. They took it all out. My doctor told me that if I had a desk job that I could go back after two weeks if I felt up to it. I teach so I plan to return to work Thursday (3 weeks and one day after surgery). I'm still not sure if it is too soon or not. I guess that I will know when I get there. I can't imagine going back after 2 weeks even if I did work at a desk. I still find myself napping often and sitting there not thinking about anything.

Make sure that you get an option of staying out of work for a little longer if you need to.

I had my surgery on a Tuesday and on Thursday my husband went back to work. He called me several times to check on me but I did fine. I was ready to be left alone for awhile. He just made sure that I had everything within reach and something to eat that was easy to get to.

Good luck with your surgery and let us know how you do.
Unread 10-08-2007, 07:23 PM

I went back to work six weeks post op with LAVH BSO. I am so glad that I did because I was so , so tired. I couldn't have functioned , as I should, had I gone back earlier. I am still tired. I took naps both Sat. and Sun. for 2 hours each time. Everyone is different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2007, 07:25 PM

Alot of it depends on you. There are tons of ladies out there on this website -- that at 6 weeks can not get out of the pj's -- then there are others that go back to work right away.

I had a TAH on a thursday -- home on saturday -- I could have been alone on monday -- but was nice to have someone else there to help out a little like fixing lunch -- maybe you can get someone to just pop in for a bit to see if there is anything that you need. Take it slow and easy and heal right the first time -- do NOT jump back into the house work and all -- the kids are old enough to help make soup and jello -- and yes they will understand that you just had a major surgery.

I could have went back to work at 2 weeks and I have a desk job as a travel agent. -- but I have some short term disability so I am taking the whole 6 weeks off to rcovery correctly.

You need to see how you are feeling and what you are capable of -- do not make your desicions based on other people and what they do -- it needs to be what is right for you.
Unread 10-08-2007, 09:09 PM

I am scheduled for a LAVH as well (Oct 25th). My doctor told me to be out 6 weeks. She has let some women return to work at the 2 weeks point, but it had to be a desk job, light duty, and you had to be able to leave whenever you needed. Unfortunately, I can't leave work once I'm at work, so the doctor said to definitely plan on the full 6 weeks.
Unread 10-08-2007, 09:29 PM

I had a LSH and will be 2 weeks tomorrow. I have been feeling great and the sluggish tired feeling has slowly gone away the past 2 weeks. I am taking it easy, only walking for 30-40 minutes, slower than the normal workout pace. My surgery was on a Tuesday, came home Wednesday early afternoon. My DH was home with me for the next 7 days and it was nice. Especially the first 3 or 4 days. Do accept help, especially for meals. The way I have felt is like a puppy, I will take a walk, make a meal and write emails and then, it is just CRASH, the tiredness just hits and you must rest. You cannot tough through it because that is your body saying let me heal. I expect to be released for work at my office/desk job tomorrow and go to work on Wednesday but I usually work 4 10 hour days, there is no way. I can leave if I need to, so probably just work for 5 or 6 hours this first week. Then I have the weekend and Monday off.

Do listen to your body, I do feel very good but I really listen to my body and rest when necessary. I have not had any bleeding or very much pain. Good luck and have an uneventful recovery!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register