How do I deal with my emotions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do I deal with my emotions? How do I deal with my emotions?

Unread 04-20-2005, 07:18 AM
How do I deal with my emotions?

I was diagnosed with stage one ovarian cancer, I know I'm lucky, in February 2005 after laproscopic surgery. I had one ovary removed. Because of the kind of cancer I had, I do not have to have chemo, but I do have to have a hysterectomy. My abdominal hysterectomy is scheduled for June of this year. I've put it off as long as possible because I just can't deal with it right now. My doctor does not want to wait any longer than June.

It seems that every day I get more emotional about it all. I cry all the time at the drop of a hat. Funny thing is I can't even read the forums on this site without crying. I'm only 39 and newly married. This is a great challenge for anyone, but even harder being newly married. My husband is a great supporter and is always there for me but I often feel that no one knows what I'm going through. My emotional well-being is challeneged on a daily basis.

What have you done to help yourself with the mental challenges of surgery and impending surgery. I try not to feel sorry for myself but I am dreading the surgery and healing process.

Can anyone give me some insight as to what they did to help themselves get their emotions in check.

Thanks, Sandi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2005, 07:29 AM

Have you thought of trying meditation? Since I had my surgery, I have been doing reiki a few times a week. When I am done with my 1 hour session, I feel so happy and at peace. It really works. I know its hard not too worry. I knew about surgery 4 months before I actually had it. I drove my family nuts up until I had it. I wish you a lot of luck!!!
Unread 04-20-2005, 07:45 AM

I know what you mean midnite. Yesterday was a disaster for me. My surgery was originally scheduled for the 21st, but, due to a death in doctors family, it has been rescheduled for the 28th(next Thursday). I just want to get it over with and get on with my life. I have been on medical leave from work since the 23rd of March. I have very heavy bleeding with clots and my cervix has dropped along with cysts in my right ovary and fibriods which has my uterus in the shape as being 4 months pregnant. Well, my short term disability denied me which meant I had to pay for my insurance or there wasn't going to be any surgery. Yesterday was just awful. I cant' wait to get my surgery over with. This wait has been the hardest for me. I hope all goes well with you and you will be rid of the cancer. I will be praying for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2005, 10:57 AM

Hi Sandi,

It is really hard dealing with the ideas of hysterectomy and cancer at the same time. I did not have cancer issues with my hyst, but I did have cancer with my first-ever surgery (nephrectomy).

I was told I was Stage 4 and terminal (6-18 months to live) with kidney cancer. Thankfully, I turned out to be Stage 1 and very likely cured as a result of having my kidney out.

That's what you need to be focusing on, frankly. CURED! As a result of the surgery, the very one you're dreading and putting off. If it were me, I would be calling today and getting that date moved up. You do not want to mess around with ovarian cancer. I don't want to scare or alarm you but I do want to strongly emphasize how important it is that you take every precaution that the cancer has not (will not) spread. Every day you delay, it's possible that you're taking that chance.

As for what you can do to deal with your emotions, you already know how tough that one is. I applaud you for trying to deal with them through some method other than medication. That's the first thing the doc who diagnosed my cancer wanted to give me. That may help but it does not address the root of the problem. Do you think it's possible that you are delaying the hyst as part of a denial strategy? You know, if you don't have the surgery it means your didn't really have cancer?

For me, doing everything I could possibly do to increase my chances of survival and my level of health helped my emotionality more than anything. I stopped smoking, totally changed my poor eating habits, started walking every day (a fabulous stress-reliever if ever there was one), and asked God every day for the strength to deal with whatever He had in store for me. I probably harrassed Him, as hard as I tried not to. Then, I had to believe that I would receive that strength. Only by doing MY part, totally, in every way that I could, did I start to feel like I had a handle on my emotions and my life.

Another sister suggested meditation. That's a good idea, too. I'm not especially religious although I believe that there is a Creator who set order and life in motion. I call that Creator "God" because that's what I grew up with and what works for me. But, meditation can get you in touch with that Creator force, whether you're traditionally religious or not. Even just deep, rhythmic breathing and visualizing a safe and peaceful place can help. It's all good.

I'll lay off now but not before I say, one more time, that I don't think you should wait one day longer than it takes to get this hyst scheduled. I'm sure your doc would move you up if you just said the word. Waiting for it is way harder than having it.

Tie a knot in it, girl, and hang on. You can do it.
Rebecca
Unread 04-20-2005, 11:13 AM

Hi Sandi!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a rough time emotionally. It's not uncommon to experience the challenges you describe. There is an article in our "Pre-Op Hints" section that I suggest you read, Coping With Pre-Op Anxiety & Fear. It is comprised of information collected from Hyster Sisters members through the years on that topic.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 04-20-2005, 11:39 AM

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLIES AND CONCERNS. THIS WEBSITE HAS BEEN A LIFESAVER FOR ME I BELIEVE. I JUST WONDER HOW CRAZY I WOULD BE IF I HADN'T FOUND IT?? :hair:
Unread 04-20-2005, 01:24 PM

Hi!

I never did get my emotions in check. I was a nervous wreck all the way up till my date. I even cried all the way to the hospital. By the time the nurse came, I was shaking so bad they had to give me something to calm me down. Waiting is really the worst part. Now that I look back I realize how I made myself miserable. Now that it's all over and done, I'm so glad, I feel so much better! I can't believe that I put it off so long. So hang in there and stay positive. Good luck!
Unread 04-20-2005, 01:55 PM

I went shopping

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register