Pre-op was today...and OH MY! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op was today...and OH MY! Pre-op was today...and OH MY!

Unread 12-09-2003, 06:31 PM
Pre-op was today...and OH MY!

Pre-op was today and was I surprised when they rescheduled my surgery from 12/22 to 12/12....as in...THIS FRIDAY. *GULP*
On friday I'll be having a LSH....leaving my cervix and my ovaries if they are healthy. Excising all endo and removing my appendix. The surgery is estimated to take 3.5 hours if there is no endo on the bowels. I'll have 4 holes in my belly and the left one will be slighty larger and possibly more sore. I'll stay overnight in the hospital and go home on saturday morning. No work for 3 weeks. No driving for 2 weeks. No sex for 6 weeks.
Let's see...what else........Oh yea...I have the worst bowel prep I've ever heard!!! Only clear liquids for TWO days before. When he told me that I looked him square in the eye and said, "THAT IS TOMORROW!" He smiled and simply replied, "Yep...better eat up tonight."
He jokingly told me that they were considering putting his picture on the back of the bowel prep instructions so that his patients could put it on their dart boards.
So it's ..only clear liq. for 2 days prior to surgery. MagCitrate 10oz bottle at 3pm the day before surgery....followed by 4 Ducolax tablets at 7pm.......and top that off with a Fleet enema at bedtime. Oh yea...it's going to be real fun on thursday night.

I'm off to eat before it's too late.
And I have to see about adding myself to the 12/12 princess good luck thread!!

-Tabitha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2003, 06:35 PM

Best of luck!!!!

I hated that bowel prep stuff! YUCK!

I had a one day notice on my surgery. I saw my GYN/ONC on Nov 24th and my surgery was the 25th. I had to stop eating RIGHT THEN! Drat, I even skipped breakfast that morning and was starving.
Unread 12-09-2003, 06:56 PM

Wish mine were changed to a sooner date. I am ready to get it over with!! Next Friday is too far away. Good luck hun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2003, 07:47 PM

I just got my surgery date of 1/5. I wish they'd have said this Friday, just so I don't have to X-mas shop anymore.

Best of everything to you. Let us know how you do.
Unread 12-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Bowel Prep?

You know this bothers me I sit here and read all you ladies doing this bowel prep before surgery. I asked my Dr. about a prep and he told me nothing about prepping and said most people don't follow it anyway. to just eat light. LMAO who me no I took myself to OUTBACK and ate a blooming onion, dinner bread, salad, Shrimp and sweet potatoes. YES, the night before my 8 am surgery and YES, I regretted every bit of it with gas and constipation for 4 days straight. So be happy to take those Bowel preps and remember my lil story.
Good Luck with your surgery Friday and take it easy
Big Hugs,
Unread 12-09-2003, 08:25 PM

doing a 2 day bowel prep makes sense to me, but then because of my Crohn's I have to do those 1-2 times a year for colonscopies. I know last time I had GYN surgery (falopian tubes removed) my R-tube had adhered to my bowels and it tore open the bowels. I hadn't done a full prep for that, so they just stitched it up but they would have preferred to resect is. Better safe then sorry!
Unread 12-10-2003, 04:10 PM

You know, my doc didn't give me bowel prep instructions either. But after talking to a lady at work who just had it done, me and the other lady who is having her surgery today sat down and decided to do one anyway. Think about it, wouldn't you rather not have to go much for the next few days? My c-section was emergency and I had ate like a pig, even in labor! I was a mess. I would literally cry trying to go to the bathroom. The muscles in your stomach hurt so bad! So thank the docs that tell you to do one!!
Unread 12-10-2003, 07:13 PM

What state do you live in?
Unread 12-10-2003, 07:27 PM

Maybe the really intense bowel prep is because you have endo on the bowel? Makes sense that the doctor would want the bowel clean as can be if part of the operation will involve that organ. Maybe that's the reason?

Good Luck!
Unread 12-10-2003, 07:46 PM

Tabitha1966 -

Just curious what state you live in.

Best of luck with your surgery - trust us all who have been there, the waiting TRULY is the hardest part

Take care,

luvmyfmly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register