Glasses | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-28-2002, 01:12 AM
Glasses

Well all this denture chat got me thinking about glasses

Normally I wear contacts which I obviously cannot do for surgery. I am as blind as a bat and it makes me nervous to not be able to see what is going on around me.

So I guess my question is, do they pop your glasses on really quick after? I can just see myself going nuts squinting all over trying to check the time, see the nurse ect..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2002, 01:55 AM
Blind as a Bat

Kira,

I think they will keep your glasses with you...bring a case with your name on it with you...If you have a Walmart close, the optical department and jewelry department have nice ones that are reasonably priced...they are hard case and snap shut....I am going to ask about this on Friday at my preop at the hospital as I cannot get out of bed til I put on my glasses too....It would make me even more disoriented to not have them on once I wake up.....
You can call and ask at your doctor's office too...I am sure they will know the policy too....
Good luck with your surgery...here is to a quick recovery!!!
lilly
Unread 10-28-2002, 03:52 AM
Glasses

Hi

I am 6 weeks post op today (yeh!) and wear glasses. My DH held onto my glasses while I was in surgery & the recovery room. When you enter the castle they will ask you if you have glasses, dentures, etc. and who will be responsible for them. If you have someome going to the castle with you that day of surgery they can keep them as well as your clothing & things you take to the castle. The castle is very good about labeling everything you take so it does not get lost. I was without my glasses in surgery & recovery but as soon as I was put into my room my DH gave me my glasses. I too cannot see without them but the nurses were very good about getting close to me in recovery so I could see them.

Good luck with your surgery & a speedy recovery. Remember to be a good princess!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2002, 06:26 AM
Glasses

Kira,

I'm also blind as a bat and went crazy trying to check the time!

I left my contacts at home and wore glasses to the castle. Right before I was wheeled off to the OR I gave my glasses to hubby so he could hold them. The rest of the day was a blur, even with my glasses. Believe me, you're not going to be cognizant for quite some time so you won't need good vision. Most of the day you'll probably sleep.

Best of luck
Unread 10-28-2002, 06:32 AM
same here

I wear contacts and had to remove them for surgery, and didn't wake up until I was in my room being put into bed, and the family had my glasses, and I got them. I put my contacts back in as soon as I felt able, and looking back, I don't know how I found my eye! :eyes: Actually, at that time, you may not care whether you have on glasses or not! (At least not the first day.....)
Good luck!
Julie
Unread 10-28-2002, 07:11 AM
Glasses

I too am "blind as a bat." I took both pairs of glasses (the bifocals for distance, and the readers for reading) to the hospital in their hard cases, and put them in my tote bag, which was labeled and delivered to my room. For the entire day of surgery and the day after, there was really nothing I wanted to see, so my glasses stayed in the bag in the closet. I wasn't interested in reading, or watching TV. I was able to recognize the people who came into my room; I'm not quite THAT blind. The evening of the day after surgery they finally pulled my catheter and unhooked me from the leg-squeezers, and got me up. First stop was the shower, with a nurse's aide assisting. After that, before I got back into bed, I had her help me with my luggage. I got out my glasses, my portable CD player/radio, and my slippers and robe, so then I was all set the next morning when I felt good enough to take a walk to the fountain/koi pond in the castle's main pavilion.

We do tend to obsess about the littlest things before surgery. But don't worry, it will all work out in the end.

8-)
Unread 10-28-2002, 08:03 AM
glasses never came off

I stayed semi-awake for surgery, and when I went in they gave me a glasses case with my patient info sticker on it (excellent idea!!) and said they would keep the glasses with me. I asked to keep them on and I was pretty wuzzy but my memory is that I wore them, because I remember thinking, gee, I never used the case. Either that or they kept them right with me and put them on in right after, because I'm sure I had them in recovery room, where I spent the time gazing vaguely at my vital signs display. DH had my wedding ring on a chain around his neck and put it back on my hand as soon as I got out of recovery and into a room, which was really sweet.
Unread 10-28-2002, 09:20 AM
Glasses

Hi Kira~

My dentures stayed with me but my glasses went with my dh. (Shows you where MY priorities lie!! LOL!) I got my glasses back once I was in my room. I don't really remember much immediately following surgery until I was in my room anyway.

Best of luck to you!

Mongie
Unread 10-28-2002, 09:56 AM
My Glasses Made me nauseous

Actually, I found that putting my glasses back on right after I woke up in my room after my surgery made me feel nauseous!

Without them, I was fine but whenever I put them on (I'm rather blind, so I thought i wanted to see my visitors better), I would start feeling sick in a few minutes. If I left them off, I was fine.

I didn't start wearing them agains til late that night, when I felt good enough to watch a little TV.
Unread 10-28-2002, 12:20 PM
Glasses

They let me keep glasses right up til they wheeled me away. Then they gave them to DH and he had them waiting for me when I woke up. I don't remember recovery room, so I didn't need them then.
Good luck
Trudy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register