Transobturator (TOT) Surgery Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Transobturator (TOT) Surgery Question Transobturator (TOT) Surgery Question

Unread 08-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Transobturator (TOT) Surgery Question

I had a TOT done Friday Aug 3, 2007. I am only 27 years old, but the SUI and UTI's were too much and after 3 years of dealing with the SUI, multiple UTI's and trying many different treatment options including medications, surgery was the next step.

So far I think the SUI is cured, I have sneezed a couple of times with no leakage, the leakage I was experiencing when getting into an upright position is also gone.

I am concerned however because the Dr said I should be pain free (for the most part) and ready to go back to work in a few days. It has been 8 days since the surgery and I am still in alot of pain in the vaginal area. I called the dr office Friday and the nurse said I needed to come in but the Dr was in surgery all day and couldn't see me until Monday. She said if the pain was too bad to go to the ER. I feel like I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and as it has been 8 days and I still can't sit because the pain is so bad, and the pain meds don't seem to help, I am at a loss as to what to do.

I am thinking go on into the Dr Monday as long as it doesn't get worse, but am concerned as to what is causing this pain. Has anyone else experienced pain like this? I have a great experienced urologist who has performed alot of these surgeries, he is the top Dr in my state to perform these, so I am confident in his ability, but have has issues in the past with rejection of foreign bodies (an IUD) and am scared this may be the case again.

Any advice or experience with vaginal pain after TOT?
Am I crazy? I am almost in tears because of the pain (even with Tylenol 3 and Motrin).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2007, 05:51 PM

I am not in the medical field and the degree of pain that you said you're experiencing, I would highly recommend that you call your physician. I have not had a TOT but did have a cystocele and rectocele with mesh and I developed a hematoma post surgery, which was very, very painful.

Take Care!
Unread 08-11-2007, 07:31 PM

jenncarr--

I am sorry you are having this pain. I agree with twinsisters--call your Dr. if you are still having this much pain. They must have an on call number for the weekend. If you are in the level of pain the nurse referred to, then I'd go on the the ER as she told you. If not and you can wait until Monday, then I'd still call and make sure they know you are coming in first thing that morning.

I had pain after my first surgery which included my TOT but that was in conjunction with a vaginal hysterectomy, an infection, a pelvic hematoma, and a postdural postural headache (PDPH) from an epidural that was not put in correctly. I had to be readmitted for an extra 4 miserable days.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you and am sending many +++ thoughts and extra good vibes your way..........I hope you feel better ASAP....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2007, 08:15 PM

jenncarr,
Did you have just the TOT or where there other repairs also? I had the TOT plus repairs (as you can see at the bottom). My Gyn had me out of work for 6 weeks and the pain from surgery was still there for beyond 6 weeks. It hurt to sit, walk etc.
I think you should go see your Dr. I am surpised that you were told 8 days.
Keep pursuing this pain issue with your Dr. Hang in there!
Unread 08-11-2007, 09:15 PM

I was sore - but not in bad pain. My pain was made worse when I walked to vigorously, or if I did certain specific exercises.

I think you should call your dcotror, too.
Unread 08-12-2007, 05:39 AM

hi jenn..sorry you are still in pain..I had a TVT on wed Aug 8th and am still in pain..yes sitting seems to be the worst for me right now,,but I also remember the dr telling me that if I were constipated it would cause alot of pain in the vaginal area ..so have been trying to eat alot of extra fibre right now. When I had my hyster a cpl yrs back this was the case as well. I sure hope it is nothing more for you. As far as return to work..I am surprised at how quick he expects you to be able to go..I had the surgery on wed and when I seen him on Fri..he said one month was the norm he recommends. I agree with the others..why not go see him and make sure things are ok..let us know how it goes..and good luck
Penny (ballfan)
Unread 08-12-2007, 07:55 PM

Could you explain the transobruator surgery? I was told I had tight obtruators when I went to see a pelvic pain doctor, however, he sent me to the same old kegel exercise standardized treatment from 20 yrs ago.....I am not sure why it has taken me so long to find doctors to treat me....basically tight levator ani, performis and obtruators......would love to see how the obtruator in your case, coincides with the obruator in general....hope all is going well now......
Unread 08-12-2007, 11:20 PM

BettyJ,
The TOT as my Dr told me is a tension free vaginal tape commonly used to treat prolapses and to lift up and suspend your bladder to correct urinary incontinence. Kegels are a way of strengthening your pelvic muscles through contractions to stop the flow of urine. The prolapses are classified by Stages ranging from 1-4 with 4 being the worst. Depending on your stage and response to PT can tell what you need to do. Surgery or not. If you are a stage 3 or 4 and PT is not working then surgery is more likely. I hope this answers some of your questions.
Unread 08-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks

Thanks for the replies.
All I had done was the sling surgery.
I went to the Dr today and he said I had a tear and that was what was causing my pain as well as alot of internal bruising and he said I lost more blood that usual in this procedure which could be why I was having the dizzy and feeling faint spells.
He is giving me a cream for the tear to help it heal and said I should be feeling better in a week or two. He said it is unusual to have this much pain 10 days after, but thinks my age may play a role in that. I'll keep you updated. I went back to work today, sitting is horrible, but I am almost through the workday.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register