Anyone have this problem? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have this problem? Anyone have this problem?

Unread 10-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Anyone have this problem?

Hi, I'm new here and have a few questions. I have had many problems from the age of 17. I bleed half of the month, every month. I have constant pelvic and tailbone pain. I saw my doctor again today and he said I have both endometriosis and fibroids. He told me I will need a hysterectomy, but he has to try other things first so my insurance will cover it. I've already been on about every form of birth control and I blead the entire time. Now he wants me to get these monthly shots that will enduce a temp menopause. I'm tired of the pain and just want it to be over. I am young, 25, but I can't have anymore kids. I understand the complications and side effects of a hysterectomy. Why are we prolonging it? I also have 2 sisters who have had one for the same reasons. Has anyone had these shots? and what are they like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2005, 09:48 PM

Gosh you are young to have these problems. I am 39 and had very soar tailbone and nagging back ache prior to my surgury. I bled for 16 days then started a normal period exactly 28 days again. I couldnt hold much urine and had to go every hour. I had bad cramps so bad, worse than the healing of the hyst. As you see below I had a rainbow of gyn ailments!
Please make sure and get a second opinion.
I am 6 weeks post op, glad I had the surgury.
I wish I could have had it years ago.
Unread 10-24-2005, 09:53 PM

Hi Dstock,

Sounds like you are talking about lupron shots. I had (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for a LSH.

As you mentioned, lupron does cause temporary chemical menopause. I stopped having periods and I experienced hot flashes with some night sweats. For me, lupron was worth it because it got me to my less invasive hyst.

Did your Dr. say how long he wanted you on lupron?? I know with me, my Dr. would not put me on it longer than 3 months. Lupron used for a long period of time can cause bone density loss.

I have seen Hyster Sisters post that their insurance companies wanted to see ~alternative methods~ before they would okay a hyst.

Lupron is not for everyone so I can suggest, do your research and have your questions ready for your Dr. Hyster Sisters is a great place to ask your questions.

Best wishes,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2005, 09:54 PM

I am not sure what shots you are speaking of, are they called Lupron? I did not have them myself but I am sure someone here has the info you are looking for. As for why your dr is prolonging your operation, it is wise to try all other avenues first. You never know they may find something that works for you, a hyster should be your last resort. Good Luck and take care of you!
Unread 10-24-2005, 09:57 PM

I also had to wait a couple of years before my doc would proform a hyster on me. He said the insurance company because of my age would want to see that we tried most options and gave a heck of a fight. I wanted to be treated for my medical problems, not for my age, so I understand you frustration .
You might want to do a search in here about Lupron, I know alot of ladies have tried it here. My friend is on it right now, and it is helping her with stopping the bleeding and she is not having that bad of side effects with it.
Good luck and sorry you have to go threw all this so young!!!
Unread 10-26-2005, 02:30 PM

Hi! I went on the Lupron shots for 6 months between my second and third lap. It went well for the first 4 months, but by the fifth, I was ready to bite everyone's head off around me. My dr. decided not to give me the sixth shot. I had terrible night sweats, soreness in my joints, iritability, no sex drive, but no weight gain until after the 4th month. Now, I have been off the shots since Feb. I have added about 15 lbs. to the weight I'd gained, and just recently had a period, after 12 mths. It did help with the endo pain, and it is still small amt. Good luck in whatever you decide!!!!
Unread 10-27-2005, 08:35 AM

I know exactly how you feel as I am also 25 and have been dealing with heavy periods, painful cramps, back pain, and the "never ending" bleeding since I had my first child at 17. I had a dr tell me that a hyster was my next option when I was 19 after lots of birth control pills, hormone shots & pills, and a combo of both. I knew that since I was divorced that I didn't want a hyster since I'd probably want another child. Which I now have. I'm going for a 2nd opinion today with the dr that delivered my last child. I am no longer able to have children so we will see what she says.

I hope you get the answers that you seek and find the answers you are hoping for.

Jodie
jodieb1921

heaving bleeding, clots, non-stop periods sometimes for months at a time, back pain, pelvic pain, anemia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register