Upcoming hysterectomy (LAVH): stairs after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy (LAVH): stairs after surgery? Upcoming hysterectomy (LAVH): stairs after surgery?

Unread 01-23-2015, 12:02 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy (LAVH): stairs after surgery?

I was wondering how long after a LAVH you were able to do stairs maybe 5-6 at a time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2015, 04:09 AM
Re: stairs

Hello you will be able to go up the stairs. On the first day home I went up and didn't come down. But after that I was fine to come down in the morning and go up at night, at least for the first few days. Just take it slow, one at a time. Your body will tell you. Good luck
Unread 01-23-2015, 05:52 AM

I had an open abdominal procedure with large vertical incision - so the most invasive possible. I came home after two nights in the hospital. We have a quad-level home - so lots of stairs. I was able to do stairs right away.

My husband was very protective, and insisted on helping me with the stairs for the first two days, but it really wasn't necessary, just nice.

Anyway, the bottom line is stair = right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2015, 06:16 AM

I had a LAVH exactly one week ago. I came home 3 hours after my surgery ended. I went up stairs, slowly, right when I got home but then did not come back down until Sunday. I probably could have, but my family was so worried I gave in. Yesterday I went up and down 5 times. I am sore this morning for the first time in about 5 days, so I will probably not do so much stair stepping today.

Good luck! I hope you do great with your surgery and recovery!
Unread 01-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy (LAVH): stairs after surgery?

I was also allowed to do stairs at will, and I went up and down several times/day with no problem. The main thing, according to my dr is not to fall, so be sure to hold the handrails and don't carry large or awkward things while going up and down.
Unread 01-23-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk71 View Post
I was wondering how long after a LAVH you were able to do stairs maybe 5-6 at a time?
Hello sister, I to had a LAVH, mine was on 12/15/14. And the next day when I came home I had to climb a few stairs to get inside, (3). And I aslo have stairs that lead down to my bedroom 3 as well. The way I found it easy was, of course with help to go up Backwards & come down the normal way. But taking it slow as well. I did this for the first week, and by week two I switch to going up sideways. I did this till I felt better enough to take them up & down the normal way, without feeling the pulling sensation . Now at 38 days post-op, I'm still careful not to fall do to cuff still healing & not wanting to cause any injuries to cause at set back. I'm hoping that you find this help as it worked for me. Wishing you a HAPPY & HEALTHY HEALING.
REMEMBER listen to your body we all heal at a different pace.
Unread 01-23-2015, 06:23 PM

I was allowed to do stairs carefully as tolerated. I had discussed the stair issue prior to surgery because I can't get in the house without going up about 5 stairs, bedroom is on the 2nd floor, and walk-in shower is on the 3rd floor. First day home, I only went up the stairs. The next few days I came downstairs and back upstairs once or maybe twice each day. As the days passed the trips down and up increased. The stairs didn't present a big issue, just took them very slowly at first. With that said you do want to be careful and not fall. I was about 5 weeks out when I came down the stairs in socks. That might have been okay if the steps were carpeted. But the steps are painted wood and I knew better than coming down them without shoes since I've almost fallen on them in the past. I did slip on the last or next to last step. I was able to catch myself so that I didn't hit the stairs, but I really had to stiffen myself to do that. If I had been anywhere else on the stairs I would have fallen. Not sure that I really hurt anything, but I did have some pain a couple of days later.

Best wishes for your surgery and a quick and uneventful recovery.
Unread 01-23-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk71 View Post
I had a TAH and one of the things that I asked my surgeon the day I was discharged was "Can I do stairs?" her response was yes, just not 10 sets of them at once.
I will be thinking about you on your surgery day - good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register