Post-Op: Lap Myomectomy w/ Mini Laparaotomy for Fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-Op: Lap Myomectomy w/ Mini Laparaotomy for Fibroids Post-Op: Lap Myomectomy w/ Mini Laparaotomy for Fibroids

Unread 12-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Post-Op: Lap Myomectomy w/ Mini Laparaotomy for Fibroids

Hi all,

I was scheduled for a laproscopic myomectomy with mini laparaotomy for fibroids. One 85mm in front that had compressed my bladder and uterus in front, and some unknown number in back.

Morning of surgery I'm told surgeon also wants to do a hysteroscopy to remove fibroids he found in uterine cavity.

After 4.5 hours of surgery I still have all my lady parts. But I spent 5 hours in recovery with nasty barfing.

Slept in the recliner but moved to my bed with wedge pillow. On 800mg motrin 3x daily. Almost no pain at laparoscopy sites but of course the mini lap incision is sore. Ice helps a lot! Had no trouble voiding and passed gas today.

I found the tylenol with codeine made the nausea worse so I'm going to try and skip it except at night.

The mesh panty the hospital gave is the bomb. The advice from the hyster systers to pack a hospital bag paid off as did buying a wedge and getting house and affairs in order and taking a stool softener. Dog is in boarding and thank god.

Now to kick this nausea so I can watch all the tv I saved up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2015, 10:08 PM
Re: Post-Op: Lap Myomectomy w/ Mini Laparaotomy for Fibroids

Dear 45InTheBay:

Thanks for your post-op update I hope you are feeling better every day! I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 12-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Re: Post-Op: Lap Myomectomy w/ Mini Laparaotomy for Fibroids

Thanks Twyla,

To think just one week ago I was barfing and praying to just survive the ride home. LOL.

I'm doing well, overall. there is a tiny part of the laparotomy that hasn't entirely closed, but everything else is looking great. I had my last dose of Advil last night at 10pm so now I'm off those. The big remaining issue is that I got a bad bronchospasm style cough that is keeping that last part from healing.

All the bathroom functions are working, mostly, and I have Colace to thank for it--2x/day every day until yesterday. Highly suggest to other sisters to start taking it at least 1-2 days before surgery if your surgeon agrees since it's not a laxative. it was most uncomfortable to try and eliminate when everything was all swollen at first.

That said, almost immediately I could void so much more easily. My bladder had been squashed to the size of a pancake and I was peeing like an 85 year old man. that part: most awesome!

My surgeon said that given my nausea reaction to anesthesia that I should consider not using the codeine at night even and once I stopped that my daytime nausea went away and I could execute on the original plan...

....Which consisted of eating all comfort foods I don't normally eat, watching Sex and the City on Amazon Prime, and reading a 12 inch stack of magazines and christmas catalogs I'd been saving.

By Wednesday night I was hungry for the meal a friend catered in for us; and by Friday night I begged my Mister Sister to take me out for pizza. We ate like prisoners let off an island. Cabbed over (car ride! survived!) and walked home (about a mile). Felt amazing and I knew I'd turned a corner.

I did have a very swollen for a couple days but I'm now back into my "tighter" yoga pants, which actually feel good and supportive.

Let's see...what else?

Oh! I have had almost NO side effects from the hysteroscopic myomectomy (procedure#1). A little light spotting, some cramping for a day or two, but nothing to be alarmed about. In fact it was sort of comforting to know my uterus is still there.

This week, I have my period, and have to use pads instead of tampons (I am on the pill), so that's kind of a drag but I'm home so not too bad. Highly recommend this procedure.

I'm mostly back to work and able to do most light activities except lifting. Fortunately I work from home anyway and my clients have been super supportive.

I will write again after post op and try to sum up some thoughts about what I learned. I know one thing I want to suggest: make sure you have some non stick gauze pads and breathable tape. when my mini lap didn't close I had to go get some and it would have been nice when the wound started oozing a little to let it dry out. She feels better now that she is cozy, aired out and dry. now that the coughing is dying down (thanks to the inhaler I had from last winter's attack) I think this little bit will close up before the post op check in a week.

I chose not to have a hysterectomy for these and I know that option isn't available to everyone. Don't think for a second I don't know how blessed I am to have had good insurance, a world class surgeon ten minutes from my house, and a health situation and work schedule that permitted all of it. Take any of my whining as a vent, and let me know if it helps.

Thanks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register