does anyone know if a week after having a hysterectomy is to soon to go tanning? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

does anyone  know if a week after  having a hysterectomy  is to soon to go tanning? does anyone know if a week after having a hysterectomy is to soon to go tanning?

Unread 05-06-2015, 08:02 PM
does anyone know if a week after having a hysterectomy is to soon to go tanning?

Hi I'm katie... I had a hysterectomy a week ago and would really like to hit the tanning Hut it's that time of season and I forgot to ask my Dr today at my week post up today if I can or not.. soo I'm trying to get advise.. thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Re: does anyone know if a week after having a hysterectomy is to soon to go tanning?

You really need to call your doctor on this one. HRT, if you are on it, can cause sun sensitivity. And tanning, whether indoors or outdoors, poses a cancer risk.
Unread 05-07-2015, 03:48 AM
Re: does anyone know if a week after having a hysterectomy is to soon to go tanning?

Very good question.

Tanning within the first year of an exposed incision that is healing & forming new scar tissue can create a MUCH more prominent scar.

If & when your Dr clears you to tan, figure out ways to cover any incisions you may have.

It is nice that you are looking for ways to comfort yourself & make you feel good as you recover.

Maybe a sunless tanning lotion would be a good option for now? I know it's not the same... but there are some great products out there now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2015, 04:52 AM

I was told not to expose my scar to sun for a year
Unread 05-07-2015, 05:23 AM
does anyone know if a week after having a hysterectomy is to soon to go tanning?

Great question! Nothing makes you feel better than sun kissed skin!
I had a TAH 2 weeks ago today, I will likely try a tan next week, but will absolutely cover my incision site! If I get any advice or recommendations from my doctor in the meantime I will let you know!

Hope everyone is healing nicely and able to get around a bit better each day!
Unread 05-07-2015, 09:23 AM

Hi there,

I think you also need to consider if you can get in and out of the tanning bed without pain or discomfort. I'm with you, I love to tan. I usually do really intense work outs at the gym and then tan and the heat eases my muscles. I had my TVH (along with other repair) a week ago and I would love nothing more than to go tanning and relax for 20 minutes. But the beds there are curved and I think getting in and out would cause to much pain. Everyone is different and it also depends on the type of procedure you had to. If you have an incision site you can always cover it. If they have a stand up booth and standing doesn't bother you then you can try that. I fully believe that you deserve to do something to make yourself feel happy after having a hysterectomy! Lord knows once I heal enough I'm going tanning, getting my nails done, my hair done...

Jessica
Unread 05-07-2015, 02:19 PM

Great question! I was also wondering about the tanning.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register