I need help!!!!!! Questions about progestin therapy success. | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need help!!!!!! Questions about progestin therapy success. I need help!!!!!! Questions about progestin therapy success.

Unread 09-28-2012, 01:22 PM
I need help!!!!!! Questions about progestin therapy success.

Hello I am new to the forum and recently been diagnosed with complex atypical hyperplasia. I am 30 years old and have never had children even after 10 years of trying. I have been seeing a gynecological oncologist since multiple cysts were found on my ovaries and my CA-125 was found to be at 101. During one of my appts for ovaries the doctor said she would like to do an endometrial biopsy due to the fact that I rarely have periods. She stressed this was just a precaution but she called me within a week to tell me that the results were not what she expected and they found precancerous cells in my uterus and we needed to focus on that instead of the cysts which seemed to be benign. I have now been to my 3rd appt with the oncologist and have a very serious decision to make. I can have a hysterectomy and give up my chances of having a pregnancy or I can try progestrin therapy for 3 months and redo the (extremely painful) biopsy. My question is has anyone been through this same issue and done well with the hormone therapy and went on to have children? Or do I just need to face the fact that I will probably never have children. I was ok with no kids when it was still an option but now that I am faced with the fact that I can't I am very scared. I have read some stories and most of them say after doing hormone therapy and trying to get pregnant they ended up having a hysterectomy anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Re: I need help!!!!!! Questions about progestin therapy success.

My situation was not exactly the same as yours, but somewhat similar. I had had issues with my period all my life, but started having very heavy, almost continuous periods with a thick lining when I was 31. When I had a D&C, it came back with complex hyperplasia, but without aytipia. From my research, mine had a chance of turning into cancer due to the cells changing hence the complex part, but it was the aytipia that was the true cancer scare turning into cancer, or already cancer in about 30% of the time. Now that was 7 years ago and things could have changed since then and am sure your doctor can give you more/better information about that. I did go on progesterone for 6 months and then repeated the D&C which did not show any hyperplasia, but continued the hormone therapy due to a continued thick lining to keep hyperplasia at bay. Unfortunately my issues didnt go away along with the hyperplasia and I did eventually have a hysterectomy this past summer. I have read about women who were able to get their hyperplasia to regress enough to have a baby so it is possible. Maybe another sister can help with the baby issue. My hyperplasia did for all intents and purposes go away, but was on some type of BCP the entire time so the issue of becoming pregnant was never possible.
Unread 09-29-2012, 07:27 AM
Re: I need help!!!!!! Questions about progestin therapy success.

This is the story I am hearing more and more that after months of meds the hysterectomy was still needed and cancer was usually found. I was hoping I would hear one success story but I think my safest option is going to be hysterectomy. Just finding it hard to commit to that answer.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register