40 and life AFTER - The Best is Yet to Come! (2009) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Life Begins at 40

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

40 and life AFTER  - The Best is Yet to Come! (2009) 40 and life AFTER - The Best is Yet to Come! (2009)

Unread 04-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Re: 40 and Hysterectomy- The Best is Yet to Come!

you will be so glad you did it! just plan on lots of down time! and dont push your recovery! We moms have automatic guilt about laying around for very long but in the big picture 4 to 6 wks of light duties isnt a big deal and so worth it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2010, 01:33 PM

That is what I keep telling myself. I have talked to several friends and others that had the hysterectomy and they say their lives are so much better. I need to rest and take care of myself and not push things after the surgery.

I am anxious right now and trying to go one step at a time to the day of surgery. I am trying not to worry to much.
My husband and son are behind me 100 percent and will be there to help me through this time. Plus I have the hystersisters to get through this.

thanks for the encouragement.

Unread 04-22-2010, 01:46 PM

Thank you Peppermintpeggy, you gave me goosebumps AND brought tears to my eyes!

I turned 40 on the 12th, and will have my surgery on May 11th, so when I saw the subject line I thought "wow, someone wrote a post just for me!" haha, not really...but seriously, the timing of this is so appreciated!

As surgery draws nearer, and as I "settle" into my 40th year, I do feel more and more like a profoundly happy turning point is here. Over the past couple of years, my personal life has improved significantly but my work life is becoming less and less fulfilling, and my skills/abilities are utilized less and less. I'm now officially past the point of finding it acceptable and I really believe that I'll figure out my next steps while I'm recovering from surgery. I am clear on what I need and don't need in my life, so I just have to find the next income source that is also a source of fulfillment.

At the same time, I am blown away by the path this fibroid/anaemia dignosis has taken me on. I had to find the "right" way forward, and what that has materialized into is that an amazing surgeon from our largest city is travelling here to the more rural area I live, to train a local surgeon and bring the expensive equipment required for an LSH. So my surgery is resulting in not only training for surgeons but eventually a new option that will be provided to women in my area, where previously only TAH was offered.....an option for a less invasive procedure with less time away from work (for those women who qualify due to their symptoms). To think I have helped open the door for this to happen is a huge gift and now I can look back on my months of self doubt and smile!

I love what you say PP about the women you admire in their 40's, 50's, 60's.....I feel the same way, and I want to BE one of those women. As much as I dreaded turning 40 (while repeating to myself "it's only a number!"), it actually feels really good!

Thank you again for the goosebumps and the tears, and for making my day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2010, 01:57 PM

That's AWESOME! I just got home this morning from Lap. Supracervical Hyst. I'm 43. I am looking forward to a fresh start and taking a few weeks off from work to decide which direction to go in next. I thought somehow I would feel empty when I walked out of the hospital, but I really feel like I am looking at a whole new beginning. A life with out pain, bleeding etc.
So much to look forward too!
Unread 04-22-2010, 02:18 PM

I was the same way, tried many alternatives because they kept saying I was too young. I already had my 4 kids and my tubes were tied, but it didn't stop the endo., fibroids, choc. cycsts., periods 2x's a month and just plain misserable all the time. I decided I wanted it now so I could enjoy the rest of my life NOW! Everybodies pain is different and how they heal. I'm one of those stubborn people and heal pretty good. I do take a hormone spray once a day and take other meds. for other things too. I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery! Be patient, sleep when you need to sleep and eat what you feel you can eat. I tried to plan mine too and I ended up in the er with a surgery the following day. Totally unexpected, and it was tough. Now it's all good. I still have my days, but so does everyone. Remember to treat yourself and be good to yourself! Take care
Unread 04-22-2010, 05:57 PM

Thank you for the support. I am grateful to have sisters to talk to and have the same experiences. It is hard to talk to someone who does not know what you are going through with the constant pain and all the other stuff.

I appreciate your kind words. It helps me as I get closer to the surgery day knowing that I have others that I can talk to that have similar experiences.

Take care
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:04 PM

We are always here night and day. When I first had my hyst. and couldn't sleep I would write on these sites. It's so supportive and they understand completly! You're never alone here
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:05 PM

Praise the Lord peppermintpeggy ! Thank you for the happy tears..I turned 40 in September. Now for the dream job...
What is it that you are so blessed to get to do from home?
Unread 04-22-2010, 08:51 PM

I'm glad this thread was resurrected so I could re-read what I wrote a few months ago and the wonderful replies!

My job, well, I changed jobs again but that was even more of a God-thing! I have moved to a different state as well and can see even more reasons why things happen the way they do.

Anyway, I hope you all are doing well and enjoying life! Remember when we used to think that 40 was old??? Now we know differently, huh? These are the best times of a woman's life.

Unread 04-23-2010, 05:34 AM

I agree and thank you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register