Surgical Menopause - How fast did menopause symptoms "hit" you? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgical Menopause - How fast did menopause symptoms "hit" you? Surgical Menopause - How fast did menopause symptoms "hit" you?

Unread 02-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Re: Surgical Menopause - How fast did menopause symptoms "hit" you?

I am 41 and had Davinci TAZH BSO on Jan 25th. even though they put an estrogen patch on me right after surgery I still started feeling menopause symptoms immediately. I switch to the Estradiol 2mg pill when I got home. My main symptoms are night sweats and insomnia. I also get the feverish feeling. I kept taking my temperature all the time thinking I was getting an infection but it was always normal. My hot flashes arent really flashes as they can last several hours. I am very emotional and cranky but I think some of that is because of the lack of sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2010, 05:57 PM

I too began experiencing hot flashes while still in the hospital - I'm on NHRT and already had my BiEst cream at the ready. I'm still adjusting and have a follow up with my dr. so I'm not "flash-free' yet, but it is getting better. I only wake up once per night due to overheating.

No other menopausal symptoms to report, so that's good news!
Unread 02-19-2010, 08:27 PM

sillywhim - that is what I'm experiencing too. It's like I have a constant fever. This has been going on for 8 months now, so I don't have high hopes it will end soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2010, 07:47 PM

I was pleasantly surprised at how slight my menopause symptoms were after my TAH/BSO. I get hot "flushes" once in awhile during the day. I get nights sweats but not too bad, and other than being a bit emotional occasionally I have done very well. I am unable to take any HT due to blood clots in the past so was a bit worried about dealing but so far so good and it's been over 2 months.
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:43 PM

My Dr put an estrogen patch on me in the OR. I am 54 and was already going thru menopause before my TLH-BSO DaVinci, she said I would definitely need it. I've had a few night sweats and a few mood swings, but I'm doing great on the patch.
Unread 02-21-2010, 01:20 PM

Hi again! I started noticing symptoms at about 3 weeks. I think my body figured out I should be getting my period just about then and punished me with menopaus symtoms! Can't do HRT, so I found soy really helpful. It hasn't been debilitating - hot flashes mostly. My mother in law just gave me her small personal fans to carry around.

Good luck.
Unread 02-21-2010, 05:46 PM

My hot flashes started immediately. I don't get them as much now, but those first few weeks were really rough. I almost felt like a pipe had burst over me and would wake up soaked. I was constantly changing my sheets. But I was on Lupron for about 3 months, so that might have something to do with it.
Unread 02-21-2010, 07:23 PM

I am 47 and had a TAH(took uterus, ovaries, cervix) 4 weeks and 5 days ago. I have had no menopausal symptoms except insomnia and I experienced that prior to my hysterectomy. I am not currently on HRT only because I don't feel like I need it. I have however began a regimen of viamins including Calcium in order to help prevent osteoporosis. Maybe we are a one of the few lucky one's
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:20 PM

During the first two weeks of recovery, while on 1/2 pump of Estrogel I was having anxiety issues. At my two week checkup the Dr. upped the Estrogel to 2 pumps daily. For the most part, at least until I went back to work at 8 weeks post-op I didn't have many menopausal issues. Slightly warm here & there,wore a tank top somedays during Nov./Dec. Mainly before the winter freeze set in here. Then after I went back to work I was COLD all the time, never was COLD at work before surgery. By the same token I was never WARM at home-so strange I know!! Lately I have had a few warm spells during the night-nothing much no sweating anyway! But yesterday at work, stressing trying to get my job finished to go on vacation I had my first HOT FLASH!!!! But after taking a break I felt much better, just had the one. All in all I can't really complain with the few issues I have had so far. I didn't have any symptoms while in the hospital and didn't start using the Estrogel until two nights after surgery. I hope this helps you somewhat. Just realize that we all react/recovery different and at different paces. Good luck
Unread 02-21-2010, 10:31 PM

I had my ovaries removed Feb.5 and my uterus removed in 2008. I feel warm sometimes and had a couple of night sweats. But other then that I feel great better than I have felt on 4 years. I still have some pain but the pain meds. take care of that. I have trouble sleeping, but I have always had that. I'm 37 and decided not to take any HRT.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register