Depression??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Depression??? Depression???

Unread 01-31-2006, 01:41 PM
Depression???

Oct 31-2005 TVH, 29 years old....(I kept both of my ovaries)
I have recently been noticing that I just really do not feel like myself. If you go down the list of ways to determine that your hormones might be out of whack, I pretty much qualify.... I went to see my Dr. and asked her if I could be having hormone issues and she said (very quickly dismissing the whole hormone idea) that I am depressed and put me on Well Butrin. It has been 3 weeks and I don't see a change, except that I am soooo tired all of the time. Has this happened to anyone else? How do they know that it is depression and not hormonal??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2006, 04:11 PM
Depression???

Hi

Your doctor could order a FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) test to determine if your ovaries are working well or not. You wouldn't be the first woman post-hysterectomy to have problems with her ovaries not producing enough hormones.

If the doctor you just saw isn't taking your concerns seriously, it would be worth getting a second opinion and having that simple test done.

Hopefully someone with experience using Wellbutrin will be along to share.

I'm sending s!
Unread 01-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Depression???

I have been depressed for a year since my surgery. I just recently, within the past week, found the right dose of estrogen for me and for the first time in a year I feel like myself. I feel like doing things. I don't feel like a stranger to myself. I have been on and off Wellbutrin. It also makes me extremely fatigued. I could never increase the dose past 150 mg because of the fatigue and I had to take it toward the latter part of the day. A lot of people get insomnia from it.. not me... slept like a brick. When I have taken it, it helped my depression in about 1-2 weeks. Sometimes it takes longer for some people. By 3 weeks, though, I think you should probably be noticing some kind of improvement. I would get my hormones checked if I were you. I know now that my depression was hormonal for sure! Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2006, 06:04 PM
Depression???

Hi

Hormonal imbalance will mimic depression. I think it's a very good idea to have your FSH level checked to see if your ovaries are functioning properly. It may be that they are not, and a bit of estrogen replacement might help to jump start them

That said, I have taken an anti-depressant in the past....not Wellbutrin, however. Any AD typically can take several weeks before full benefit is noticed. I would recommend that you let your doctor know how you are continuing to feel....and if you do not feel like you are being "heard" by her.....seeking out another doctor might be beneficial.

Sending 's
Unread 02-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Depression???

I have taken wellbutrin for several years. It gives me more energy I take it in the am. It takes 3 to 4 weeks to notice a difference when starting a new depression medicine. Right now I feel really out of sorts, I am sure it is my hormones not depression. Will continue to work with my dr to get things right. You should definitely have your hormone levels checked. You deserve a dr who will listen to your concerns and is willing to work with you until you feel better.
good luck!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register