what does this mean? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what does this mean? what does this mean?

Unread 07-06-2004, 02:04 PM
what does this mean?

Hi
I've been reading about post op. in these posts.

What do they do when you go for a post op?
I'll be getting a hyster. soon do not have a date yet.

I have a Dr. appt. for a uterine biopsy tomorrow. I'm also alittle nervous to think that it will hurt.

Anyway can anyone answer my question as to what a post op is?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2004, 02:06 PM
sorry

Hi
it's me again

I meant pre op?
Not post op.

Thanks
Unread 07-06-2004, 02:15 PM
what does this mean?

My pre-op was so easy- it just consisted of me going into my doctor's office to talk to her for a little bit abou what to expect after the surgery- what to do before the surgery- clear liquid diet for a few days so that she could have more room to work- a little bit of blood work- my insurance precrtification with the hospital and that was it.

Some sisters have to do a bowel prep- but i was blessed with clear liquids for a few days.

The waiting really is the worst- i'm sitting here one week later not regretting anything- life is going to be great.

good luck princess in waiting-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2004, 02:38 PM
what does this mean?

Hi,

A post-op is the follow-up visit after your surgery. A pre-op is the visit before the surgery.

Usually in a pre-op, the doc answers any questions and tells you what you need to do before surgery.

Usually at a post-op, the doc will check your incision(s) to be sure that they are healing and tell you what activities you may resume.

Hope this helps.

Judy
Unread 07-06-2004, 02:44 PM
what does this mean?

I had a uterine biopsy to check for Interstitial Cystitis which I do have. I was not at all painful. I was a little sore when I first woke up and they gave me a pain killer. I could have walked out of the hospital 4hrs. after surgery, but they insisted they wheel me out. I was a little crampy the next day, but that was it. Good luck!

Dove
Unread 07-06-2004, 04:46 PM
what does this mean?

Hi Imaria s,

It's ok. A little brain fog is normal for all of us here.

Pre Op is actually an easier appt. than the standard, at least mine was.

You go in and your Dr. chats with you, at length, about what will be done and how. Be sure to bring in lots of questions at this time, as, they usually schedule a little more time for a pre op appt.. Here is an excellent article on Pre Op:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...hp?s=&id=96847

Then, he/she will send you to to the lab for some blood tests and possibly an EKG. If all is normal, everything proceeds as planned. If he/she has any further questions or findings, the office will contact you.

I'm sure I've left something out, so hopefully others will come along and add to this.

At any rate. I wish you the very best most uneventful surgery and a smooth and speedy recovery.

Take Care.
Much Love,
AnnieWoof
Unread 07-06-2004, 06:23 PM
what does this mean?

I went in today for my pre-op...

Basically we just discussed the surgery, and DR answered "ALL"(LOL) my questions and I had a ton.

He went over what to do the night before and gave me my instructions on Bowel Prep.... Yea seems like I will be one of the Lucky ones on that!!! Gave me everything I needed to proceed with the bowel prep also.....Now I get to stare at this stuff for a couple of weeks dreading having to actually use the stuff..

Pretty much all there was to it....Then he turned me over to the A-Man and again we just discussed what type of anes to be used during surgery and so on......

Definetly one of the easiest appointments I have had so far.....

Good luck to you!!
Unread 07-06-2004, 06:47 PM
biopsy info

I had a biopsy years ago, and it was uncomfortable, but not painful. Cause some discomfort for a few days afterwards.
Post op is what is referred to as after surgery.
Unread 07-06-2004, 06:57 PM
what does this mean?

My pre op was two appointments 4 days before my surgery.

The first one I met with my Surgeons nurse ( I had seen him two days earlier)who answered questions and explained the bowel prep and medicated douche.

Then off to the hospital for blood work and an ekg. I met with the nurse there who explained all the hosp procedures and then I talked with an anesthesiologist. I liked her so much I requested her for my procedure. Usually they just give you whoever is on call but if you speak up you can get who you want- came to find out that nurse used her for her last surgery too- always a good sign. I got copies of my bloodwork- so I could look them over too.
They recommended I see a hematologist (since I have always had bleeding problems) I did that the next day.

Your pre op should answer all your questions and you should know that your body is ready for surgery.

hope that helps

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register