I am having complications... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am having complications... I am having complications...

Unread 04-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I am having complications...

Hello, I am new here and am trying to find some answers. Surgery was 3-3-09. They cut my intestines and repaired them during the surgery. I went home 3 days later with pain in the lower right abdomin, thought it was from the staples. Following Monday they removed the staples and said that would help the pain. It didn't. I went back on Wed. and was told it was a bladder infection and given antibiotics. Still had pain Friday, went back and was told to give the pills time but if I still had the pain the following Wed. they would do a CT. ( Had fevers and chills ) Sunday, I couldn't take the pain anymore even with Percocet. Fever hit 103.6 and hubby rushed me to ER. They did a CT and found an abscess where I was having the pain. They admitted me and put a drain in for the abscess. A week later I was discharged, with drain and little drainage. 4 days later I began to have feces come out around the drain. I went back again (to the DR who did the bowel repair) was told I had a fistula and would need surgery in 6 months. They attached an ostomy bag and set me on my way. Yesterday, I notice when I urinated it smelled and looked like feces. I called the DR and over the phone he said it sounded like I had a fistula to my bladder, keep taking the antibiotics, and unless I got a fever or started vomiting he would see me at my next appt. ( 4-14-09) This can't be right! Aside from the pain, the smell is horrible, my emotions are a wreck and it seems like my family are the only people concerned! Has anyone had this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Re: I am having complications...

Hi there.

First of all God bless you, and I mean it! You have been through a huge amount of surgery and have been dealing with body altering, lifestyle altering changes. You must be so strong to be feeling so bad and still be thinking clear enough to realize that this situation is not right.

I agree with you that they should be more concerned. It is definitely time for a second opinion! Please be forceful about this. If you can't, put someone in your family in charge of making the arrangements. If you are being treated in a smaller community it is now time to go to a larger medical community for your second opinion. Feces in the bladder, urinary tract, abdomen is not at all good. These are all sterile areas. Probably why you have had a fever and are on antibiotics. Antibiotics don't always hold infections at bay and it can lead to an overwhelming infection through out your body.

Your instincts are right. If you are becoming more sick over the weekend, do not wait until Monday! Go to the ER again!

I pray that you get solid answers and get on your way to healing.
Unread 04-04-2009, 05:58 PM

I am sorry to hear you are having so many complications from your surgery. I can not say I have gone through anything that you have gone through and I am not a medical expert, but it seems a little wierd to me.

I can say the dr warned me about the possibility of this happening though!

I hope you feel better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2009, 06:00 PM

Oh my goodness.....im so sorry you are having all these problems!!!!

It sounds to me, like u should head back to the hospital. Even tho you may not want to hear this, it sure seems like u might benifit from exploritory surgery to find/correct the problems at hand.

you should not have to live like this and it really sounds like you are getting a little of a brush off from your doctors. With everything smelling that way, i to would be very worried. Please go back to the hospital sweetie.....

good luck and update when you can....
Unread 04-04-2009, 07:26 PM

I don't have any experience with what you are going through, but I would be horrified if it was happening to me, and I think you should go back to the ER again ASAP. Good luck, I will be thinking about you.
Unread 04-04-2009, 07:56 PM

Please if you don't go to the hosp please go for a 2nd opinion. this can be repaired. God Bless you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register