Do I need a belly band? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do I need a belly band? Do I need a belly band?

Unread 10-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Re: Do I need a belly band?

I bought a belly binder from the store on here prior to my LAVH and took it to the hospital with me, but I honestly haven't used it.

It is basically to hold your abdomen firm for you while the muscles and liagments heal, so you don't strain the incisions / stitches. Since I only had the three small lap incisions, I didn't really need it. I also sleep on my side, but due to my arthritis, I have slept with a body pillow for years to keep my hips level. That gave me all the support I needed in bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2010, 08:44 PM

What about the inside incisions/stiches. I wonder if a belt would help with that. I know I am going to have to be picking my son up son after the first week.
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:07 PM

I would suggest that you discuss picking up your son with your doctor. I was limited to no more than lifting 10 pounds and still have that limit at 7 weeks post op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2010, 10:42 PM

I will. That is a huge concern for me. He is 2 years old and around 28lbs. I will have help the first week but the second week I want. I really don't have a whole lot of choices. He can get in the car and car seat by himself. So that will help. My fear is when he falls and toddlers fall all day! Us Momas grabbed them up with hugs without even thinking. I just wondered if the bigger belt would help for those in case reasons.
Unread 10-13-2010, 10:56 PM

I had the daVincii. During the pre op consult, my doctor told me that I could go back to work in 3 to 4 weeks after the surgery. Then, he asked what kind of work I did. I told him that I am an instructional assistant at an elementary school. Well, that ended returning to work in 4 weeks. It had to do with picking up students if they fall and students bumping/running into the stomach area. On my post op surgery directives and additional notes, he wrote no back to work in 3 to 4 weeks, works with children. For you, we are talking 1 child as compared to a school setting. It may be different and the belly band may make a difference, too. Keep us posted as to what you find out.
Unread 10-14-2010, 04:55 AM

I'm having a TAH/BSO a week from today and my doctor has already put the order in to give me one. She said it will not only help with pain, but it aids in healing and keeps things from jiggling around as the organs find their new place to settle.

I had a belly binder when I had my bowel resection surgery (I have a LONG vertical scar -sternum to pubic hair) and it was a lifesaver, then.
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:04 AM

I lived in my belly band for quite a awhile, as my incision popped open when they took out the staples.
It helps support the abdominal muscles when you are getting up out of the bed, it helps if you want to sleep on your side, it helps when you sneeze or cough.
Now I use it whenever the swelly belly kicks in (holds everythng in place - no jiggling).
I am glad I had one.......
Unread 10-15-2010, 02:07 AM

I had a TVH which is exactly what you are having and I found no need for anything to support my tummy as all the stitching is on the inside, no outside stitches at all. I had my surgery 2 weeks ago. Hope this helps.
Unread 10-15-2010, 07:21 AM

Thank you so much for the input. It really helps to hear from someone my age. I really am trying to get my mind around what is going to happen once I get home. I have a business trip just shy of 6 weeks after my surgery so I'm trying to do my best pre op and post op. If you have any suggestions at all, things you wish you'd known, things you would have done differently I'm open for any ideas. All the best for a speedy recovery.
Unread 10-15-2010, 08:46 AM

Well, I am so glad I asked this question. It looks like many of you were wondering the same thing. Thanks to all of you for your advice. I am having my surgery in a week and I think I am over prepared if that is even possible. Lol! I wish all of you the best is luck. Lots of HUGS!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register