Upcoming Hysterectomy December 10th: Question About Weight Restriction | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming Hysterectomy December 10th: Question About Weight Restriction Upcoming Hysterectomy December 10th: Question About Weight Restriction

Unread 11-19-2015, 08:02 PM
Upcoming Hysterectomy December 10th: Question About Weight Restriction

I am having a TLH/BSO with the possibility of converting to a TAH December 10th. I told my doctor what all my job entails. I have to be able to lift 50 pounds and not have any restrictions to be able return to work. I have to bend at the waist frequently and reach overhead. I am on my feet 8 hours a day. My doctor said I would be out 6-8 weeks. I requested 8 weeks on my FMLA paperwork and included a job description. I don't think the medical paperwork lady (not my doctor) didn't read the job description, because she only put me off six for weeks. Is this a reasonable amount of leave time given my job duties?

:higs16:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2015, 09:15 PM
Re: Upcoming Hysterectomy December 10th: Question About Weight Restriction

I think I would call the lady who did the paperwork and if you don't get any satisfaction, see if the doctor's office can call. The danger with lifting too much weight too soon is a hernia which would most likely send you back to the operating room! Good luck!

Nancy
Unread 11-19-2015, 10:42 PM

For such a physically demanding job I would think not although some women heal quicker. I would fight for the 8 weeks. At 8 weeks I was still limited to 20 pounds. The problem if you life too much besides hernia is tearing the vaginal cuff if it is not healed but also damaging the pelvic floor before it has healed.

Definitely talk to your doctor more about this. Make sure he is clear about your job requirements. It is possible you can go back at 6 weeks but it would be on light duty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2015, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief586 View Post
Is this a reasonable amount of leave time given my job duties?

:higs16:
It was at least 12 weeks before I felt comfortable even occasionally lifting something over 20 pounds and a good 6 months before I feel like I would have been able to Safely do all the repetitive bending, lifting, and being on my feet type activity that you describe- and I am young (Early 30s) & had a fast uneventful recovery. Definitely talk to your doctor and employer!
Unread 11-20-2015, 01:51 AM

I am at 9, almost 10 weeks now, and I will say while I feel I could lift that much, I STILL get pains in my pelvic area if I stretch funny. BUT, I am also over weight, and out of shape.

I am short, but never use to have a problem stretching to reach the top shelf, now I have to either stand on the counter and stoop so I don't pull anything, or call my husband or son to get things for me.

It's not a horrid intense pain, but enough I usually resort to an Advil.

Everyone is so different though, and you might be ready. But I truly would recommend getting in touch with someone to change that date. Better to take the time and be safe, than to get there and realize it's a problem.
Unread 11-20-2015, 05:11 AM

I would check to see when your lifting restrictions will be discontinued. You will probably need to start lifting gradually once that happens to work yourself up to being able to do the 50 lbs. for me, bending and reaching were not an issue, nor was being on my feet.
Unread 11-20-2015, 06:44 AM

My doc cleared me to do whatever I wanted to at six weeks *but* cautioned me to start off cautiously and work up gradually. It was about eight weeks before I felt that my body was behaving normally. In a work environment, you need to hit the ground running, so I should think that you'd want eight weeks.

I could reach up over my head right away after surgery, no problems there. However, it was four weeks before I could bend at the waist. My weight restrictions were 10 lbs for the first four weeks, 30 lbs for the next two and then after that it was up to me.

coughy16 makes a good point re: gradually building up to going back to work. Start walking as soon as you can. The nurses at the hospital had me up and walking the first morning after surgery. They also had me sitting upright rather than reclining, which helps bring the abdominal muscles back online. Start off slowly and build up gradually. At two weeks, I could walk a mile in 15 minutes. At four weeks, I was walking 3-6 miles a day on hilly trails. I was also walking the mile to the supermarket and carrying back 5-10 lb loads of groceries.

When the doc raised my lift limit to 30 lbs, I started doing some upper body work with light weights - and also was able to buy more groceries at a time!
Unread 11-20-2015, 10:43 AM

My surgeon had also mentioned the possibility of converting my planned laparoscopic surgery to an abdominal procedure , but thankfully, that didn't happen. When you speak to your doctor, also ask him under what circumstances would he convert, and what's the probability of that happening - ideally, it should be no more than 5 %. As for weight restrictions, I was restricted to 10 lb, but cleared for more after 5 weeks; I just started slowly, and gradually increased the weight as my strength improved. Given your job description, and the fact that you'll be having your cervix removed, you'll need to be more careful, so definitely speak to your employer as well, and have your doctor speak directly to the paper work lady. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register