all ladies in waiting----PLEASE listen to advice of resting after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

all ladies in waiting----PLEASE listen to advice of resting after surgery all ladies in waiting----PLEASE listen to advice of resting after surgery

Unread 07-13-2001, 09:21 AM
all ladies in waiting----PLEASE listen to advice of resting after surgery

i had my tah on march 27th, i was 38 years old,2 children, and in very good health. i had everything removed..was in the hospital 3 days. after my surgery, my doctor said i had adenomyosis in my uterus, severe adhesions, and endo. i had had problems with endo back in the early 80's so that did not surprise me. i came home to a wonderful husband who pampered me very well, my sister stayed with me 24-7 when my husband was at work..i had somehere constantly for 3 weeks. i am a very stubborn,independent person...i would run the sweeper when no one was looking...i would do dishes, i would walk too much...they just could not keep me down!!!!!! i was lucky and had very minimal pain after my tah and actually that was a BAD thing..maybe if i had had more pain i would have stayed laying down more!!!! i went in for my 7 week checkup the end of may and my doctor found a lump, which has turned out to be an insicional hernia...........my stubborness and independent state has caused me to be looking at another operation in the next week. i have the lump, very tender stomach pain,cramps, pulling and back pain. i saw my obgyn today i told him of all this...he said he feels it is because of this hernia and when this is fixed i will more than likely be in great shape and pain free. PLEASE listen to others when they say REST and TAKE IT EASY!!!!! no matter how wonderful u may feel-----remember your body is healing in a major way and it needs you to baby it!!!!!! good luck to each of you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2001, 09:39 AM

{{{Tena}}} Thank you so much for posting this thread. It must have been hard to do: admitting we did something wrong is never easy.

I'm so sorry that you have paid so dearly for your mistakes. I'm surprised the didn't show before it was too late

I hope that you've learned your lesson and will as much as it is possible aftis THIS surgery.

Have you checked the Road Less Travelled message board? It might be a good place to find even more support for a complication of this type.

{{{{hug}}}}
Unread 07-13-2001, 10:37 AM

This is wonderful advise and I can only add to those who are having a hard time staying still, that they cut your post out, make copies, and stick them on their sweeper, dishwasher, exercise equipment, and any person who has the ignorance to ask why you still resting at 5weeks! Please sisters, don't let anyone (including sweet little innocent cherubs who want to be picked up by mommy or grandma) talk you into doing more than you should especially if you feel great - its then that you can do the most damage because you don't have the "warning signs" until to late.
I know this is hard because I too want to do too much. My big boys cannot stand the fact that they are not waited on hand a foot even though they are quite old enough to do for themselves. Even DH thinks this is "getting old". This is my 4 1/2week mark of TAVH/BSO and bladder repair. I just got off the catheter a week ago. I start back in the classroom teaching Aug. 9th, and I'm not about to let them make me feel guilty for taking the full 8 weeks to recover! I just tell them no not unless they want to chance me going back to the hospital. Bottom line is as I have heard many sisters say: "You have had MAJOR SURGERY. Do not expect yourself to be to do much befor 8 weeks, and you will not be fully recovered for 6months to a year." You have been given 8 weeks to pamper yourself and have others pamper you for a reason, so now that you are a princess, go for it and pamper pamper pamper!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2001, 02:00 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your story. Sometimes we sound like a bunch of old crabs, harping on how important it is to rest after this surgery. I hope that you get some relief from your complications, and that all the LIWs and recently post-op princesses take this lesson to heart!!

We get ONE chance to let our bodies heal properly....and this is why we have to do that!!!

Thanks again for sharing!!!!

Karen
Unread 07-13-2001, 02:47 PM

'S Tena,

I want to thank you for posting your story to the ladies in waiting. So many feel really good after surgery and start doing things that they shouldn't and end up with problems. I do hope that all goes well with your second surgery. Do keep us informed. You also might want to post your note on the post op board also, to inform the other new

'S
Unread 07-13-2001, 03:10 PM

Oh my gosh Tena!! 's

I am so sorry that your going to have to go through all of this again. But I really wanted to thank you for sharing this with all of us. Especially the ladies now who are 1 week post-op and getting bored. This is a great reminder. Well not for you..

I wish you well with this 2nd surgery and will have to make sure the pillow police are there on your doorstep when you get home..

More hugs,

Michelle
Unread 07-13-2001, 04:05 PM
hi tena

Tena, I am sorry to hear this happened to you. Please take care & I hope you are feeling better soon

Now, to all you ladies in waiting. Please listen to what Tena, your dr., and all these wonderful women tell you about getting the rest you need. I also, like Tena didn't listen very well. At 2 weeks post op I was running the sweeper, doing the housework and grocery shopping myself. I actually felt "good enough" to go back to work. Well, needless to say I am now 4 weeks post and in alot of pain. Just this week I spent 2 days in the hospital because of it.I was told that it's either a muscle or I may have caused adhesions. Boy, do I regret doing the things I did.

PLEASE listen to the advice you get on here, Take care of yourself & REST, REST, REST!!!!! DON'T give in to the boredom!!
Tammy

Unread 07-14-2001, 12:21 AM

Jackie,

That's a great idea. I'm going to "copy" this thread to the Post-Op board.

Tena,

Please take good care of yourself this time...you are WORTH it!

My very best to all,

Linda
Unread 07-15-2001, 06:25 AM
Thank you, thank you and thank you

I have mentionned a few times to my dh that I will need help for a while (like 6 to 8 weeks). A while does not seem to have the same time frame for him lol. So I am making copies of your post and giving it to dh, ds, dd so they can see that I am not milking this one to death. Thank you for your honnesty and caring for others. I wish you the best in your upcoming surgery. Please come back and let us know how you are.
Unread 07-15-2001, 09:01 AM
thanks Tena

Thank you for your testimonial. We need to hear from the who have experienced the "not so perfect" recoveries so that, although we may feel great, we remember the importance of really pampering ourselves, no matter how "bored" we may be. I'm sorry that you are having to endure yet another surgery, however happy that it can be fixed! While I was in the hospital my DH logged into this site and read as much as he could about the recovery process. I feel blessed that he has been so involved in the whole process, and believe me, he is constantly reminding me to rest and take it EASY. Good luck Tena!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register