Pre-op questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op questions Pre-op questions

Unread 03-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Pre-op questions

Hey all - I am scheduled the 27th of March for a vaginal hyst. due to years of endometriosis. I am 35. I am wondering what determines if they take out the cervix also. My mother-in-law (bless her) had a hyst about my age and has made comments about it affecting sexual pleasure and activity since they took her cervix.

Does anyone have insight into this? I just want to get back to feeling good and having the best sex life I can with my hubby - don't want to do anything to ruin it all, ya know?

Thanks a million!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Pre-op questions

I had a TAH because of fibroids with my cervix removed due to abnormal paps and haven't noticed any difference. The sex is just as good if not better for me.
Unread 03-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Pre-op questions

I was also concerned about sex and spoke to two people I knew who had hysterectomy's one was a total the other was cervix and uterus (like me) and both assured me sex was just as good if not better. I'm only 1wk. post -op so I'm hoping they weren't pulling my leg. I have desire so must mean ovaries are working a bit.
Good luck.
(I can't even converse with MIL about the weather, so good for you)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Pre-op questions

You may not actualy have a choice. I had planned on a TAH- total means taking uterus and cervix. I ended up with a sub-total Hyst (SAH) because, when the GYN got a look at my uterus, I had a very large fibroid in my cervix, fed by a dense vascular system (heavy blood supply)
Therefore:
She could not completely remove my cervix because to do so could have caused uncontrolled bleeding.
Sometimes a GYN finds more than she expects and has to make decisions at the moment.
Unread 03-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Pre-op questions

Thanks so much!! The more responses I get the better I feel!! Good luck in your recovery and beyond. I am blessed with the MIL I have. MIL and FIL are both very good to me!
Unread 03-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Pre-op questions

Marvalous30

If you're having a vaginal hysterectomy then your cervix will be removed. If you decide you want to keep your cervix then you'll need to discuss other procedures with your doctor that will enable you to do so ~ ie, laparoscopic or abdominal.

It may help you to read our HS article <link> Types of Hysterectomy Surgery.

Hope this helps!

Unread 03-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Pre-op questions

I had to have cervix removed. I asked if I was keeping uterus (probably a stupid question) and Dr. said that they were pretty much one. I just figured after going thru tube tying and then hysterectomy I did not want to have another "happy Period" ever.
Unread 03-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Pre-op questions

with a vaginal hysterectomy, they have to remove the cervix. if you choose to keep your cervix, you'd have to discuss a different type of surgery with your dr. i am aware of my cervix during sex and would definitely miss it..which is one of the reasons i kept it. not everyone finds enjoyment from their cervix being touched and those women do not miss it at all.
Unread 03-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Pre-op questions

Ladies not to worry. I'm now 7 months post op, had my ovaries and cervix removed and sex is just as good as before.

I understand your pre op anxiety, but at least in my case everything went so smoothly. You'll be glad you had the hyster.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register