Primer on Pre-Op Shaving | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Primer on Pre-Op Shaving Primer on Pre-Op Shaving

Unread 07-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Primer on Pre-Op Shaving

A lot of ladies complain about not knowing that they would be shaved "down there" by their doctors during the surgery and having ingrown hairs afterwards. As I shave on a regular basis, I have some advice to pass on to you ladies who are soon to face this new dilemma. Assuming you're totally new to shaving your pelvic area, here are some detailed instructions:

First, ask your doctor if you will need to be shaved for your particular operation and where. Some say they didn't need to, some said they did. Better safe than sorry... even if it is an embarrassing question it's better to ask ahead of time.

First and foremost remember: if you must get rid of the hair, you want to do this yourself! The hospitals are not going to spend good money on expensive razor blades. You'll get dry-shaved with a cheap disposable and likely end up with razor burn and ingrown hairs.

Once you establish that the hair needs to go, if you are just completely uncomfortable with shaving, ask if a very close trim would be acceptable. Believe it or not, men's mustache and beard trimmers are exactly the right size for those small, hard-to-reach areas and you can adjust the blades to crop shorter or longer as you like -- almost as close as shaving! You also practically eliminate the chance of nicking yourself, even if you're completely new to this. I recommend picking up your own clipper unless you have a very understanding husband!

I do not recommend getting a wax job for a couple of reasons: first, it hurts like hell, especially if you have thick hair! Even if you've experienced a leg wax and think it's no big deal, your nether region is *much* more sensitive! Second, waxing removes skin, and that leaves the area open for infection, not something you want to deal with while recovering from a hysterectomy. If you insist on waxing, though, get it a week or so in advance so your skin can recover.

If you're going to shave, do so at least the day before your surgery, but no more than two days prior. Sooner leaves potential nicks open for hospital infections to creep in. Later means you'll get stubble problems by the end of your first week post-op when you *probably* won't be in the mood to bend yourself in half to shave again!

Spend a few extra dollars to buy or convince your significant other to lend you one of those really nice disposable razor blades (I prefer a Mach 3, my DH prefers a Schick Quattro). One designed for sensitive skin is nice, but not necessary. Shaving creams and gels are nice, but you won't need a lot if you use it. I know some ladies who prefer to shave with skin lotions instead of shaving creams, while I use plain old water. You may find it easier to shave if you use clippers or scissors to trim really thick or long hair prior to actually shaving it; the razor won't clog up as fast and you can make longer, smoother strokes.

Find a comfortable place and position: sit in the bath or shower, on the toilet, or on the bed or floor with a pad of comfortable towels underneath you. Using cool (not hot or cold!) water, wet the area and apply your shaving cream or gel. Cool water tightens your skin, causing more of the hair to protrude above it for a closer shave and reducing the chances of nicks and razor burn. Hot water does just the opposite, and when your skin cools you will have instant stubble even though you just shaved! Working slowly, use one hand to pull your skin taut and the other to shave. It's personal comfort whether you shave with or against the direction of hair growth. You'll get a closer shave if you go against the grain, but some people find this too uncomfortable. A mirror is really useful to help see what you're doing. Try not to go over the same area a bunch of times, as that causes friction which leads to razor burn.

Once you're done and rinsed off, pat the area dry and apply a little hydrocortisone cream and a bit of triple-antibiotic ointment. These will reduce inflammation and pain (if you nicked yourself) and help prevent the little white bumps from infected hair follicles.

If tackling this process by yourself is intimidating (whether for psychological or physical reasons) just remember you always have the option of asking your Significant Other to lend a hand... some guys really like the idea!

Once your hair starts growing in again, a light dusting of baby powder, cornstarch, or a couple of drops of baby oil help tone down irritation and chaffing. Keeping up on the antibiotic ointment will reduce your chances of getting those painful little white bumps as the hair grows back. You should ask your doctor about what kinds of things you can use near incision sites, though.

I hope you found this information useful! Best wishes for a successful surgery and a complication-free recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Primer on Pre-Op Shaving

As good as these suggestions are, remember that some doctors and hospitals do not want you to shave yourself. And I have read a few posts where they have been told that the surgery will be cancelled if you arrive having done it yourself. Please talk to your doctor first!
Unread 07-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Primer on Pre-Op Shaving

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitcher8
As good as these suggestions are, remember that some doctors and hospitals do not want you to shave yourself. And I have read a few posts where they have been told that the surgery will be cancelled if you arrive having done it yourself. Please talk to your doctor first!

Yep, words to the wise. Leave the shaving (if any) to the doctors/nurses, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Primer on Pre-Op Shaving

My Dr. advised me to shave myself a day before the surgery. He said the nurses would do if I would like, but most of his patients felt more comfortable doing it themselves. Although he did say that I only needed to shave the top portion where the incision would be I went ahead and did it all (I could not find a stoping point . )
Unread 07-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Primer on Pre-Op Shaving

Well, it's a little too late for me! Why is this thread in the post-op section of the board?
Unread 07-31-2008, 04:22 AM
Primer on Pre-Op Shaving

It was specifically written on my pre op testing sheet, that shaving yourself, at the surgical site could result in your procedure being cancelled. If it is necessary, shaving will be done prior to surgery. And alot of the responses to other threads about shaving are that many women are shaved after being put under anesthesia.
Unread 07-31-2008, 07:38 AM
Primer on Pre-Op Shaving

My pre-op instructions also warned against shaving at home prior to surgery. The reason is that there are billions of bacteria that live on the surface of your skin. When you shave at home, micro-cuts occur that can allow these bacteria to enter your tissues and could potentially cause breeding grounds for infection. When you are shaved in the OR, it is in a sterile environment using anti-bacterial cleansers that decrease the chances of any post-op infection. I know that being shaved is a humiliating experience, but the truth is that most of the time it isn't done until after general anesthesia is begun. If you have the misfortune of being at a hospital that does it while you are awake, please know that the person doing it has probably done it hundreds, if not thousands, of times, and is mostly concerned for your comfort and privacy. ( I know, it used to be part of MY job!)
Unread 07-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Primer on Pre-Op Shaving

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteDK
Well, it's a little too late for me! Why is this thread in the post-op section of the board?
Yeah I thought the same thing. (WHY IS THIS IN POST-OP) We already went through this so why do we need to know that. A mistake I guess.
Unread 07-31-2008, 08:18 AM
Primer on Pre-Op Shaving

It's not a mistake. Post Op ladies may respond to members in the PreOp forum, but they are not allowed to start threads there. Threads in PreOp started by members who have already had their surgery are moved to the Post Op message board. The descriptor for the PreOp forum says this:

Quote:
Pre-Op questions, concerns and support for "Ladies in Waiting" who have scheduled their hysterectomy. (Still exploring? Post your question in "Options" forum above. Post-op members - reply only to Pre-op questions without starting new threads.)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register