I have terrified myself about possible consequences - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have terrified myself about possible consequences I have terrified myself about possible consequences

Unread 11-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Re: I have terrified myself about possible consequences

Thanks Drafter 29, I really appreciate it. I will definitely not overdo it. After reading another thread, now I am wondering if I should get a gynecological surgeon or gynecological oncologist to do my abdominal. I do not have a history of gyn problems, so I have only gone to my gyn for routine stuff. Now I am thinking - is she a good surgeon? She said she does 3-4 hysts a month. I have no idea if I trust her as a surgeon. As a doctor, yes. Surgeon, I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2010, 09:43 AM

Would be nice if you could talk to other ladies who have used her for surgery. Wish they could give a reference list.
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:04 AM

I am scheduled for a SAH on Dec 1. If I were you I would get another opinion, I did and I am glad I did. Both my regular dr and the second opinion dr told me the exact same thing. My dr does hysts every Wednesday and I trust him.

I hope mine turns out just like Danni's!!! (Except that I will have a vertical incision)
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:15 AM

Hi Silver Dragon - have you got a second opinion? That may help you feel better about your decision. One thing to think about and ask your surgeon is that some doctors do not recommend keeping the cervix if you have fibroids. Since the cervix is part of the uterus fibroids can return on that tissue (if you keep your ovaries as well). Your doctor may be able to give you statistics about that but I would recommend researching that. I know it is information overload but the more information you have the more confident you can be about making the best decision for you. Best of luck to you.
Unread 11-05-2010, 01:23 PM

walk100, what is the reason for a vertical incision? I have been told by a doctor that you heal better with a horizontal one. I don't know if that is true.

mc_sister, you have a very good point. I am so close to menopause (I have been perimenopausal for 2 years now) that I felt comfortable keeping my cervix. The gyn never mentioned anything about the possibility of more growing on the cervix though although I am sure I wouldn't have changed my mind due to my age.
Unread 11-05-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni3ll3 View Post
walk100, what is the reason for a vertical incision? I have been told by a doctor that you heal better with a horizontal one. I don't know if that is true.

mc_sister, you have a very good point. I am so close to menopause (I have been perimenopausal for 2 years now) that I felt comfortable keeping my cervix. The gyn never mentioned anything about the possibility of more growing on the cervix though although I am sure I wouldn't have changed my mind due to my age.
I also have an umbilical hernia that needs repair, and the dr feels that a vertical incision will allow him to fix it, and have better access to my oh-so-huge uterus. Danni, I wanted to ask you, how was the gas and elimination issue? I am loading up the house with MOM, colace and gas x!!
Unread 11-05-2010, 07:18 PM

WAlk100 - I could feel the gas gurgling away and it took two days before I passed any. No pain though. The doctor ordered MOM and a suppository if I wanted one the night before I went home in case I felt uncomfortable. I took both later in the evening and was able to pass tons of gas and have a small bm. No straining or pain and keeping up with the colace, fiber and liquids have made things easy for me. I usually have the opposite problem. At home I am drinking prune juice and taking the colace although I think I am going to cut it out as I had a liquid movement tonight. I think the prune juice is doing the trick.
There is so much info on this site that was helpful, I am very grateful to everyone for sharing their stories. For those who aren't feeling well yet, my thoughts are with you.
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:28 PM

i think the surgery alone, the thought of post op etc is scary.

BUT when u compare it to the pain and hell u have gone thru in the last X amount of years, in comparision if it is worse than the hyster will be totally worth it.

goodluck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register