Minor Surgery! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Minor Surgery! Minor Surgery!

Unread 12-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Minor Surgery!

Oh, my!! You've GOT to be kidding me!! Any hysterectomy isn't a minor thing-no matter HOW it is performed!! A TAH as outpatient surgery?? I think someone has their types of surgery confused. Seriously.

I had a LAVH, and I'm still not up to yard work. Getting down is difficult and I tire very easily at 3 weeks post-op, so I won't be doing any yard work. My doctor gave me permission to fold the laundry after someone else has washed and dried it and carried it to the folding spot, then rest. Load or unload the dishwasher, then rest. Do a little dusting or wash the table top, then rest. You get the picture??

In answer to your question: No it's not possible!! Unless you don't care how your body heals. If you want to give your body the proper healing time, you'll take it as easy as possible.

I really can't believe anyone could act like this isn't major!! That just shocks me

You take it easy, okay??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Minor Surgery!

Hi Shortone,

I also think the surgery types might have been mixed up. I had a LSH, a less invasive hyst, as an outpatient, and I went home the same night. Not the same as a TAH which generally requires a few days in the hospital.

Also, yard work at 3 days post-op?? I was feeling great at ~3 weeks~ and did some yard work. It was like ~OUCH~ the next day. Too soon even for a less invasive hyst lady.

So...try not to worry. Your surgery and most of all your surgery ~experience~ will be unique to you!!

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 12-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Minor Surgery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayoneyes
if its minor what is major???? I was in the hospital for 3 days and in quite a bit of discomfort for the next couple weeks. Walk around or sit and enjoy your yard but leave the yard work to others. I will be at 3 months tomorrow and feel GREAT now so much better than any time in last couple of years. I am from STL used to live in manchester What hospital you going to???
I will try to go to <oops! Hospital named removed for privacy>. My Dr. currently does not have priveledges there. That is one of the things that is putting my hyst on hold. I won't know when until I find out if he can do it there or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Minor Surgery!

You ladies are truly wonderful!!!!! I was beginning to think I was crazy for worrying so much. I had a uterus ablation last year and that was outpatient, and I was out of work for 3 days. But I thought this was a bit more serious. Thanks for all your advice.
Unread 12-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Minor Surgery!

I got the paperwork from my doctor (to certify absence with my employer) yesterday. I'm having TAH BSO on Monday. The doctor says NO WORK AT ALL for six weeks. And I have a desk job. If that's minor surgery, I'd hate to have major done!!!
Unread 12-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Minor Surgery!

In 1987, my boss had TAH. She was released the same day (Friday) and tried to come back to work on Monday. A pair of us drover her home within two hours and her DH and a daughter came back later for her poorly parked car - yes, she tried to drive, too!

Listen to your doctor and your body. Do not over do. Pay your friends and family to keep reminding you not to do things. Enjoy the vacation!
Unread 12-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Minor Surgery!

Always talk to your dr about recovery time for your hyst. Depending on your body, your surgery, your surgeon, your health, etc., your recovery time may very. BUT, I don't think yard work is acceptable at three days post op for anyone!

For the record, my dr routinely gives a flat 6 week restriction for a LAVH--no driving, vacuuming, working, driving, yard work, etc.!
Unread 12-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Minor Surgery!

Minor surgery my butt. I had surgery 2 days ago and I can tell you that I'm no where near ready to do anything on day 3.

I had a vag. hyst with a removal of a cyst on my right ovary. I was able to keep both ovaries. Other than being very nausaus from the morphene I had no complications.

I don't have any problems in the bathroom area either.

Can't drive for 2 weeks, can't lift anything that weighs more than a gallon of milk, can't push or pull.

Would I be ready to resume my office job? No way! I'm off work for 6 weeks. Timing couldn't have been better - we've had snow emergency conditions since I got home today and yesterday the temperature was in the single digits.
Unread 12-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Minor Surgery!

Definitely major. No doubt about it. And painful too. However, recovery time and degree of pain felt really does depend on the individual. I know I was feeling far better than I had in years just the first week after my TAH and was out doing relatively normal activities before the end of my second week. I'm now 7wks post-op and feeling absolutely FANTASTIC!

My sister-in-law and I just spent four days/three nights in Victoria, B.C. and spent all that time walking to take in the sites. Didn't have any problems later.... But I'm one of the fortunate ones on these lists. My recovery has been very fast.

I would say that, like giving childbirth, our memories of what we endured would diminish at least a bit. Okay - for some maybe a whole lot!!! LOL
Unread 12-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Minor Surgery!

I'd say it is major surgery. Recovery time and degree of pain does depend on the individual, but ...

I talked to my sister in law, who had a partial hyterectomy years ago. She felt great, and was cleaning house, and did a lot, and then went skiing a few days after the surgery. A little later she had to go back in to complete the complete hyterectomy, and to have adhesions removed that formed because she did too much during the recovery period the first time.

The other person I talked to followed their doctor's advice about taking it easy, and in a couple of weeks could resume most activity, but anything strenuous waited a little longer.

Enough of a lesson for me; I don't have to learn the hard way. I'll take it easy. So far, I'm doing great, but mine was yesterday, so I have a lot of recovery time left.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register