Stupidity caused by Lupron? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stupidity caused by Lupron? Stupidity caused by Lupron?

Unread 12-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Stupidity caused by Lupron?

I did something stupid today, but thankfully I realized it in time. Back story....I had my 2nd of 3 lupron shots last week in prep for my LAVH next month.

I was at work when I had a strong urge to get out of there. I can't explain it other than I needed to get out. I carpool with my husband and he drops me off. His office is 7 miles away from mine. So I put on my coat, grabbed my purse and just walked out the door.....didn't say a word to anyone, just left and headed to hubby's office. Now, keep in mind the temp was in the 20's today and the wind was blowing. This part of the walk had no sidewalks so I was walking in snow along the side of the road. I got about 2 and a half miles from the office when reality sunk in. My feet were soaked, my legs frozen,(I was wearing yoga pants because it's the only thing that will fit right now), I called a friend at work to come get me. They took me to my hubby's office.

What bothers me about this that safety went out the window and stupidity set in. It scared me to say the very least. Of course there's been the crying jags, but is this normal? Is this hormonal? Is this because of the shots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Re: Stupidity caused by Lupron?

Yes.

There was a period where my husband was going along behind me making sure I was doing things correctly, like making sure I was going to the right place for work (I travel), remembering to shut the door, etc. I'm normally hyper organized and dependable. With Lupron, that went out the door.
Unread 12-15-2010, 08:08 PM

What's embarrassing about this is that now I have to explain to my supervisor why I took off. I'm taking tomorrow off to try to get my head together. I'm sending work an email apologizing for today and asking for tomorrow off. It really scared hubby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2010, 08:15 AM

I did Lupron for a year for my endo and I think it messed with my ability to be rational and control my emotional impulses during the time I was taking it. The main thing I remember is that I was getting married in a month and I knew I was thrilled and happy but I kept bawling. I finally told my GYN "You need to give me something to counteract this or I'm going to be the most miserable bride ever." I was loaded on Wellbutrin for my wedding. :-P
I also remember being more aggressive when I was on the Lupron which was VERY strange for me....I'm very laid back and pacifistic by nature. Heck I'll go out of my way to avoid a conflict. But when I was doing the Lupron if you upset me boy howdy I'd give you an earful. I burst into tears in my old boss's office and told her I hated her....which I did. But I was usually better about keeping quiet about that. ;-)

Hang in there...you've got one more shot. And if it's really worrying you ask your doctor. It could have been far worse though...you could have stripped naked and claimed to be the Messiah. (I'm happy to report that one was NOT me, but a friend who had a bad reaction to her diabetes meds).
Unread 12-16-2010, 08:35 AM

I have a phone call into my Dr.
Unread 12-16-2010, 02:39 PM

i am getting my third and last lupron shot next week. i havent really noticed any big changes in behavior. but i havent been sleeping well, so that is affecting me. i started wearing my hair in a bun on top of my head so the night hot flashes wouldnt be too bad. (they really became less frequent starting with the second shot). the most frustrating thing is that any time i do anything too physical i get real dizzy.

i am sooooo looking forward to getting past all of this and getting the real me back.
Unread 12-16-2010, 03:12 PM

wsea, let me know if your vertigo goes away when you stop....I've long been suspecting that the Lupron is what fried my equilibrium. I was never graceful mind you, but now I'm a walking disaster. I'd probably flunk a dwi roadside test completely sober if they asked me to walk a straight line.
Unread 12-16-2010, 03:33 PM

I talked with the nurse this afternoon. and yes, I'm finding all new sorts of side effects. At least I know what to look out for and so does hubby now. Behavior not normal can be a side effect.

I had sleep problems too. I could fall asleep but would wake up and not be able to get back to sleep. I started taking 1 benadryl before bed and it worked. I have to admit that I haven't had to take it this past week. Sleeping isn't a problem now.
Unread 12-16-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopysCoPilot View Post
wsea, let me know if your vertigo goes away when you stop....I've long been suspecting that the Lupron is what fried my equilibrium. I was never graceful mind you, but now I'm a walking disaster. I'd probably flunk a dwi roadside test completely sober if they asked me to walk a straight line.
the vertigo was the worst during the first cycle. i would be so dizzy when i got up from bed that i would fall back down. that has gone away thank goodness. if i exert myself, i will get dizzy, but it seems to subside once my heartrate gets back to normal.

the side effects are weird. no doubt. but i definitely prefer it to the constant bleeding and cramping. i had to do the lupron for 3 months prior to surgery to get my blood count up.
Unread 12-16-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbevo View Post
I talked with the nurse this afternoon. and yes, I'm finding all new sorts of side effects. At least I know what to look out for and so does hubby now. Behavior not normal can be a side effect.

I had sleep problems too. I could fall asleep but would wake up and not be able to get back to sleep. I started taking 1 benadryl before bed and it worked. I have to admit that I haven't had to take it this past week. Sleeping isn't a problem now.
i had been taking benadryl before the lupron, so i can only imagine how much i would be waking up without it.

i honestly believe that my uterus has gotten bigger since the sonogram 7 months ago and is pushing on my bladder, because most of the time when i wake up, it is to go to the bathroom. (much more than i used to).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register