Failed VVF Repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Failed VVF Repair Failed VVF Repair

Unread 06-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Failed VVF Repair

Went to see the surgeon yesterday and had a cystogram. I am still leaking after 8 weeks of having a catheter. The catheter is out now...phew the relief was instant.

My surgeon is checking his dates with the other surgeon who he operates with tomorrow morning and I should have a date for the real deal repair. I am going to have an incision from my belly button down and a flap will be inserted between the bladder and vagina. The repair op should be sometime in August. Lets hope this one works! Fingers crossed for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Failed VVF Repair

Donna,

I am so sorry to hear the fistula is still with you. At least the cath is gone!! My abd repair was also from the belly button down. My dr said it would give them a better look at what was going on. Do you think they may find a surgical opening before August? If not, at least the wait will be a little easier without the catheter.

Fingers and toes crossed for you!!

Dee
Unread 07-06-2007, 09:56 PM
self healing

My bladder was fused to the uterus, so it was damaged during the hysterectomy. After further surgery to repair it, a vaginal fistula opened up and my urologist said he would probably need to operate abdominally, but that we'd give it a chance to heal on its own. The foley catheter was left in after the final surgery, so I was sent home and told to have it changed every 2 weeks. I also took an antibiotic the entire time that I had the catheter. When I asked my doctor what I could do to promote self healing, he didn't have any suggestions. AFter much research I decided to try several things (figured none of them would hurt!). This week, after 6 weeks with the catheter (which became more painful each day) a cistogram showed my bladder to be healed and healthy. My urologist was pleased and told me he seldom sees this happen so nicely. So I want to share my treatment options, even though some may seem bizarre. 1) I took Gota Kola tablets (750-1000mg/daily) to promote healing. I am still taking these for good measure. 2) I drank at least 16oz of cranberry juice every day, and a great deal of water. 3) During an 8 day period, each night I placed a small cloth saturated in castor oil immediately over the bladder and meditated on healing for 10-15 minutes. 4) Numerous friends & family prayed to baby jesus, the virgin de guadalupe, buddha, the bladder god, and most likely other dieties.

Perhaps it was all, none, or some combination of these things that helped me to heal. I hope someone else can have a positive outcome like I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2007, 01:38 AM
Failed VVF Repair

Very pleased that your VVF healed the first time. You are very fortunate. Out of interest do you know how big the hole was in your bladder?
Unread 07-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Failed VVF Repair

Sorry, I don't have any idea how large the hole was. And yes, I do feel extremely fortunate.
Unread 07-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Failed VVF Repair

Lunamex. Thanks for the reply.

My understanding of fistulas is that if they are 2cm or larger they are harder to fix first time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register