How long is a typical dvH or TAH procedure? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long is a typical dvH or TAH procedure? How long is a typical dvH or TAH procedure?

Unread 07-01-2013, 02:35 PM
How long is a typical dvH or TAH procedure?

How long is a typical dvH procedure? What if it is a TAH? Can anyone give me a little heads-up? I am scheduled for the dvH but may have the TAH if the doctor can not due it safely due to previous surgeries and scar tissue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Re: Pre op Jitters Holy nerves Bat man

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalkttn View Post
How long is a typical dvH procedure? What if it is a TAH? Can anyone give me a little heads-up? I am scheduled for the dvH but may have the TAH if the doctor can not due it safely due to previous surgeries and scar tissue.
Tag is total abdominal hyst. I went in knowing if too ugh scar tissue then convert to open. I have to say my doc was amazed how clean my insides were after 3 laparoscopic surgeries, 2csectionsand one abdominal myomectomy. Surgery is never fun , but like the DvH I had
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Re: How long is a typical dvH or TAH procedure?

I had 2 previous C Sections and my DvH lasted a little under 2 1/2 hours. I kept my cervix and 1 ovary and my surgeon spoke with my husband 2 1/2 hours after my surgery started. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
A TAH would generally be a shorter surgery time than a DvH simply because the doctor has better access and a clearer view of what it going on but that is assuming the decision is made to do a TAH from the start. If they start DvH then convert then you would have the longer surgery. It might be worth having a further discussion with your doctor about the chances of needing to convert. You could end up with the worst of both worlds if they have to do that, the multiple small incisions plus the large one, the CO2 gas pain because they blow up your abdomen with gas for the DvH plus the abdominal incision pain and also the risk of any complications that cause them to convert the surgery in a hurry.

I had a TAH and it was planned that way due to extensive adhesions and severe endometriosis. My doctor just said he wouldn't attempt anything else. I have to say that for me I have had both lap surgery and abdominal (3 x) and wasn't frightened of having more abdominal surgery.

The difference between surgeries is more about the size of incisions through the skin and muscle as the surgery on the inside is the same. Recovery tends to be faster with DvH on the outside but the vaginal cuff can take longer to heal because of the way they do the surgery. You can always go to another doctor for a second opinion to help you consider your options, even if you are sure you want your first doctor to do your surgery.

with whatever you decide is best for you.
Unread 07-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Dr told me mine would be 60-90 minutes. My DvH will be vaginally assisted.
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the information ladies. I am making my nest list now and waiting for the pre-op tests to be done. I am sure I will be more anxious as the date approaches but today is a good day.
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:12 PM

LegalKttn -

It can take longer with the daVinci because they have to position the system. The CO2 that they use to blow up your abdomen would be released when they did the abdominal incision. My Dr. was really good about getting the CO2 out because the only pain I had was feeling like I had received a vaccination in my arm.

The surgical field is more open in an abdominal procedure but the actual visualization of what they are doing is better in a laproscopic procedure. With something like the daVinci the field of vision is actually magnified 10x so the Dr. can see things a lot better in this situation.

As you mentioned the scar tissue might be so heavy that the surgeon can't get the instruments to move as they are supposed to so would need to convert. Also as mentioned that would mean you have some additional incisions however my incisions are about 1 to 1.5 inches and have faded nicely.

I can't tell you how long my surgery was exactly but do know I was one of the earlier surgeries and was in my room by 2pm so that included recovery time. I have no clue how long I was in recovery. Mine was a bit longer due to the removal of lymph nodes because of a cancer diagnosis.

Check with your Dr. regarding numbers of dvh surgeries, how many have converted and that sort of thing. Also suturing techniques for laproscopic surgeries have changed over time to reduce issues with the vaginal cuff no closing properly.

Unread 07-08-2013, 05:17 PM

I had a TAH/BSO and mine took near 5 hours due do a lot of scar Tissue from 4 C.Sections and also my bladder was attached to my Uterus and there was a lot of bleeding * Very Vascular Organs I was told *
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Just had my dvH on 7/5/2013, it took 4.5 hrs to complete. Everything removed except cervix; some lymph nodes removed due to cancer dx.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register