fibroids and pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

fibroids and pain fibroids and pain

Unread 01-21-2003, 02:13 PM
fibroids and pain

Hi everybody, and thank you for such a wonderful site. I am 41 years old and recently found out I have a fibroid tumor the size of a softball on the front of my uterus and it is also connected to my bladder. It has grown rapidly and was not there last year. I am in excruciating pain in my lower pelvic region. I also get shooting pains down my legs. I am on Vicadin and it helps a little, but makes me feel drugged and constipated. So I am either in pain or high. My periods are very heavy and last 10 days. My doctor told me that my fibroid has outgrown it's blood supply and is dying. That my body is trying to remove the garbage. Does this make sense? Has anybody ever had this happen? I have 4 children and have had my tubes tied for 16 years so I no longer need or want my uterus. I will be keeping my tubes and ovaries. I also want to get a tummy tuck while they're at it. My doctor always uses a plastic surgeon to close, so there is no problem there. I would appreciate any advice on the pain. My surgery is not scheduled for 3 more weeks, so I will be in pain or high for at least 6 weeks.
Thanks
Love and Hugs
Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2003, 06:33 PM
fibroids and pain

Hi Judy

I'm a two time fibroid sufferer and the largest one I had was the size of a grapefruit. I've heard about fibroids dying (there's a term for it but I can't remember the name, sorry) and that the pain is excrutiating. Sometimes a dying fibroid can cause other problems if it's not removed so it's a good thing you're having this taken care of.

Best of luck to you. Being free is a beautiful thing!

Unread 01-21-2003, 06:41 PM
fibroids and pain

Hi Judy,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!! While I'm very sorry that you are in pain and need to have surgery, I am glad that you found us and posted to say "hi".

I didn't have my hyst for , but it certainly sounds as if it's time to get them out of there.

While you're waiting for your surgery date to arrive, please be sure to read the pre-op and post-op hints that are found in the hints and articles section in the left-hand column of the main page (click onto the Princess logo at top left to get there).

Also please go back into your profile and enter your surgery date so you'll be on the calendar for that day and will receive our special greeting.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2003, 06:42 PM
wow, a plastic surgeon to close?

You have sweet insurance there! That would be considered a cosmetic procedure under my plan and not covered. Neither would a tummy tuck.

Sometimes when blood flow is impeded to a fibroid, they will start deteriorating and it is a world of hurt when that happens, forget the medical term for it too. Fibroids are blood-suckers. Time to get rid of that fibroid. Good luck!
Unread 01-21-2003, 07:15 PM
fibroids and pain

Hi and Welcome!

Degeneration is what my doctor called it. And painful, yes.
Please be very careful for any signs of blood clots, a side effect of a large degenerating fibroid. It's rare but it happens. I think a clue would be sudden cough and or pain in the chest or back (lung) area. In the case of my mom, she just coughed a little and spit up blood...........big sign!

My gyn was not crazy about a tummy tuck because no one knows where the pain is from...the surgery or the tuck. But...there's no better time like open abdominal surgery to have it done. My insurance would not cover it. It would have ran me between $5,500.00 and $6,000.00, extra. Simply pulling down some loose skin and cutting it off is not that painful...but a full cosmetic tuck is pretty difficult because everything is so tight.

Use the search button up top for tummy tuck. I remember quite a few here have had it done and were very pleased. It's still on my wish list!

Please take care.
Unread 01-22-2003, 09:34 AM
Thank you so much

Me again, Wow, thank you so much for all the responses. I feel validated. My pain is not all in my head. LOL When I researched fibroids on the internet, only one place referred to degenerating fibroids. I thought my dr was making it up! I will pay attention for the blood clots. I only have one period left
I will still have to pay some for the tummy tuck, but not as much as by itself since the ps will already be there. And after 4 c-sections I need it!

As soon as I find out my surgery date I will post it. Mid February.
Love and Hugs
Judy CA

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register