surgery scheduled for January 25. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery scheduled for January 25. surgery scheduled for January 25.

Unread 01-04-2006, 04:06 PM
surgery scheduled for January 25.

I have been a member for a while but wasn't actually scheduled for surgery until now. I'm scared to death and feeling a bit selfish a well. I am scared I won't make it through surgery and since this surgery is really optional as I am having it because of excessive bleeding every month. I'm scared of dying and leaving my husband and daughter behind. I know it's crazy but I just have all these crazy things running through my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 04:30 PM

mrspossum!

Getting the surgery date sure makes it all more real, doesn't it? I'm sorry that you are feeling so scared.

I think you will find that you aren't the only one who has had these thoughts. You'll get great support from your Hyster Sisters here in the Pre-Op forum.

It can be helpful to read the Pre-Op Articles for information and tips to help you prepare for your surgery.

I'm sending s and best wishes!
Unread 01-04-2006, 04:40 PM

I having mine for the same reason. I would like to know what life is like without wearing a DIAPER all the danged time! I have had the same thoughts, but there's a risk in every surgery and to me, it's an acceptably small risk. Read all you can and be prepared. The more you know, the better prepared you will be. I am not nervous at all, which I guess is kind of wierd. Maybe it will hit me later, but I am so looking forward to being on the other side of this. Blessings.

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm getting past the "scared" part

I am having an elective hysterectomy on the 13th of January. I decided to have surgery in September and knew the month but not the date until early December. I was very scared for the first two months. I'm sure my DH was going crazy with me saying "If I don't make it..." but I started reading this site a lot and many books on endometriosis and surgery. Every time I got to a part that applied to me, I found out that "hysterectomy might be the only option". I've been in chronic pain for almost two years. Acetominophen stopped working in the summer and now I am on codeine most of the time. I have endo, a large adenomyoma and fibroids too. I have pressure on my ureter and am in pain drinking even small amounts of liquid. I've taken every kind of NSAID imaginable and now they all bother my stomach. I've taken Lupron and several kinds of birth control pills. I try to book family trips and am always counting the weeks and wondering if I can survive - travelling and sitting in a car always make the pain worse. Once I realized that the surgery might relieve even half my pain, I started to be less afraid. My poor quality of life now makes the risk worth it. Now, I will make a little envelope with notes to kids etc (just in case!) but everyone who knows me wonders why I put surgery off for so long. I've started packing my bag and assembling easy-to-eat and prepare foods for recovery time. I've even taped old movies (not funny ones!) to keep me from getting bored.
Give yourself a little time to get used to the "date" thing. And then you'll find enough things to keep you busy to distract you until the time arrives. I actually got my holiday letters out in record time this year and the house is getting clean as well!

Good luck on the 25th! I'll be posting once I can make it down the stairs to my computer!
Unread 01-05-2006, 12:14 AM

What you are feeling is totally normal! I am 31 and just had a TAH on December 28th. I have three little girls and a wonderful husband and trust me I was thinking the same thing. When I woke up in recovery I actually felt so relieved that it was over! So many women have this surgery and death is rare. Dont worry you will feel so much better when it is over. It still hasnt sunk in that i will never have a period again!!! Wow how great is this...and hopefully no more Pain. Good luck. Dont worry so much. I stayed up practically the whole night before my surgery watching my favorite movies...better than tossing and turning all night.
Unread 01-05-2006, 09:24 PM

Keep the faith! YOur emotions are a normal reaction to the unknown. Educate yourself so you know what to expect. That really helped me to not be so nervous. YOur fate is not in your hands and never really was. REminding myself of this really helps. Have you ever really had a close call with something like a car accident? And then later you say, "Well, it just was not my time to go." My husband and I were actually secheduled to be on a flight and for some reason ended up with tickets on another airline going the same place (we were in another country). At any rate, the plane we were supposed to be on crashed and everyone died. It was just a crazy experience!
Unread 01-06-2006, 06:53 AM

Hi, First of all Best Wishes to you. I am in the same boat....having the hyster because of heavy monthly bleeding and pain all the time. When the lady called and told me my date was January 23rd although I was thrilled to be getting this over with, but I was scared to death too. I just try to remember that I have complete trust in my Dr and I couldn't be in better hands. I hope this helps and I know you are having your surgery two days after mine, but if you would like to stay in touch please do so. Best of luck to you and take good care before, during and after surgery! Melanie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register