Overnight Stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Overnight Stay Overnight Stay

Unread 04-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Overnight Stay

I saw another post regarding staying over night in the hospital for a Davinci Procedure, which is what I am scheduled for on Friday. As far as I know I am scheduled for an out patient procedure, but an curious as what circumstances they kept patients overnight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Re: Overnight Stay

Hi Chelle~ My Davinci is schedule on Thursday and the dr told me I would be staying the night. He told me he wanted to monitor me for 24 hours and then I would probably go home. I would call your insurance company to see if they will pay for it. For me, i am glad I am staying to assure all is well with vitals and such, before releasing me. Talk to your dr and ask why.

jewel
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:22 AM

I'm having a LAVH on Wednesday and they are keeping me overnight. They want to keep you monitored and the pain under control. My doctor said it is considered an inpatient procedure. I'm glad they are keeping me overnight because I live two hours from the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM

I was scheduled for a daVinci but due to complications on surgeries before me, the surgery got pushed back so far that my doctor and I chose to do a lap with vagina removal.

However, I'm sure the requirements to leave the hospital would be the same. I had to be able to do 3 things before I could leave which sound easy, but you'd be surprised!

1. Walk. This was easy. I did this in the first 3-4 hours after surgery, but that may not be common.
2. Urinate. I had to wait until they took the catheter out and then drank a lot so I would have something to urinate! That took a couple of hours after they took out the catheter which wasn't until the next day, but my surgery didn't end until 10:00pm.
3. Pass gas. This was the hardest for me, and actually caused the most pain (not passing it, but having gas in my tummy) They want to ensure your bowels are functioning before they send you home. I really wanted to leave and considered telling them I had when I hadn't until a HS explained to me why it was important!:

Also, as much as I did not want to be there, and as sure as I thought I was going to be one of those patients that would just fly through everything, it was so nice to push a button for water or a pain pill or anything I needed because my stomach was really sore. Yes, I got up and walked right away, but I had a motive.

Good luck!!! See you on the other side!!!
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:36 AM

Mine was not Davinci, but was a minimally invasive LAVH and I stayed one night. I was considered outpatient (went through outpatient registration process) but stayed from 6 am Thursday to 3 pm Friday. The doc wanted to make sure I had pain managed well and could pee on my own before release. Ask your doc, Outpatient still could mean an overnight stay.
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle310 View Post
I saw another post regarding staying over night in the hospital for a Davinci Procedure, which is what I am scheduled for on Friday. As far as I know I am scheduled for an out patient procedure, but an curious as what circumstances they kept patients overnight?
Hi Chelle310. I am scheduled for DiVinci tomorrow and will also be staying overnight. I don't really understand why but all my paperwork considers this an "outpatient". My insurance company said its has something to do with the timing. If you are out within 24 hours from the end of the surgery it is considered outpatient. However, my insurance recommended that I get prior approval in the event there are complications, there will be no problem with them paying for another day or two.
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:57 PM

I am so thankful that I signed up on this site! Thank you all so much for the advice and replies!! I had no idea that even though it is "outpatient" I could still be spending the night...guess my packing is quite done yet.
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:07 PM

My hyst is tomorrow ,they are keeping me overnight ! Did my bowel prep just waiting for it to work and gotta do enema in morning before hospital and I already have my beautiful bracelet ,cause they called me in to do another blood test for my blood type , here goes , I guess that's all for now. Good luck to all the other ladies in waiting!!!! See ya on the other side ! All my best AMY
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:22 PM

Good luck to everyone who's surgeries are coming up. I definitely feel more informed for my pre-op appointment in an hour than I did this morning. I have additional questions for my doctor and hoping for more information on his part. Getting anxious

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register