Not Scheduled Is Da Vinci Safe?/Keep Ovaries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is Da Vinci Safe?/Keep Ovaries? Is Da Vinci Safe?/Keep Ovaries?

Unread 11-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Is Da Vinci Safe?/Keep Ovaries?

Hello, this is my 1st post. I'm 36 and have adenomyosis. Also heavy bleeding, heavy cramping all month long, lots of pressure on my bladder and bowels, labor-like episodes where I pass large thick sheets of tissue, and constant ovarian cysts, many of which are the "complex" variety, they rupture and land me in the hospital about every 6 months on IV antibiotics. And also suspected hyperplasia. Yes, I have it all

I am having my 3rd D&C in a few weeks, then a hysterectomy is recommended, my doctor says January. My doc wants to biopsy to look for pre-cancer cells, if there are none, she will do a Da Vinci hysto in Jan. If there ARE, I of course will need to go to an oncology gyn and get everything removed.

My doctor does hystos with Da Vinci. I thought at first this was great, but I am seeing news reports of Da Vinci having dangerous consequences. Very scary things I found on the internet. Should I request the surgery be done differently?

Also, she told me to decide whether to keep my ovaries. I don't know what to do. I am not afraid of long term consequences of HRT but my concerns are, how long will it take to get adjusted? How miserable will I be in the meantime? What if it makes me moody and uninterested in intimacy? That is the last thing I want to have happen. But I have been in the ER during 3 major holidays with abdominal infections due to ruptured cysts in the past 2 years. I had to leave vacation early this summer to get to the hospital, and spent Christmas and Father's Day weekend there for the same reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Re: Is Da Vinci Safe?/Keep Ovaries?

How much experience does your doc having doing daVinci hysterectomies? Don't be afraid to ask her how many she's done and what the outcomes were. I've heard of some women having really good outcomes with daVincis, but you absolutely have to get a doc who's experienced and skilled in using the robot.

Re: ovaries - you mentioned having suspected hyperplasia and also having your third D&C in a few weeks. You might want to avoid investing a lot of energy in the ovary decision until you get the D&C results back. If you've got precancerous endometrial cells, the gyn onc will probably recommend removing your ovaries, since estrogen feeds endometrial cancer.
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:30 PM

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2013, 07:35 PM

Hi beeincharge -

There are risks with any surgery, and DaVinci is not any different. Please be aware that people post when there are issues, not when things go great - it is just human nature. Having said that, ((SurprisedInNB)) is correct and that it is okay to ask about your doctors' experience with DaVinci.

Regarding keeping ovaries.... if you can keep them do keep them, obviously if it is okay for your health. I did not have a choice, and lost mine. But I would have kept them if I could have. Surgical menopause was no picnic at age 46. I was VERY MISERABLE. I went on HRT, and have my life back. I was lucky and the first dose tried. But it can frequently take some time to get it right. You just have to keep talking to your doctor.

Unread 11-15-2013, 07:52 PM

I had a positive experience with davinci. My recovery was pretty easy, and my scars are very small. My gyn onc had done 400 plus procedures , which made me feel confident going in.
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:00 PM

I am two weeks post op todaty after DaVinci surgery. I agree that the Dr.s experience is key. I would caution not to buy in to some of the hype that this type of hyster is a minor operation though. I kept my ovaries, have minimal pain at this point but I am taking a month to recover. Good luck!
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:03 PM

Don't do it. I've heard bad things too, Even my doctor with 30 years experience does them and he's starting to get away from it because of the risk. that's my opinion. Good luck get 2nd opinion.
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:56 PM

beeincharge

I had my hysterectomy for cancer and it was done using the daVinci robot. I hadno complications. Things to ask your Dr...

How many surgeries have you done using the daVinci?
What training did yu rceive on the daVinci system?
How many times have you had a robotic surgery convert to an open surgery? Why did these happen?
If your cervix is being removed ask about what suturing technique is used to prevent the vaginal cuff from opening. This is a potential complication.
Ask how many times they have had complications and what type of complications.

From there make your decision. It is most important you feel comfortable with the surgeon regardless of how the surgery is done.

I can't use HRT so no help on that one.

Unread 11-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Re: Is Da Vinci pSafe?/Keep Ovaries?

I had a very positive experience with the daVinci but my gyn onc is very experienced, trains residents on the method. I needed no narcotics after leaving the hospital 24 hours after surgery. Lost very little blood. Had no major complications. I healed fast, but still was glad I had six weeks leave to recover fully. Just because it's laproscopic doesn't mean you aren't still having major surgery. I was glad to have had this technology available to me.
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:49 PM

I had a DaVinci total hysterectomy on Oct 10th with both ovaries removed. No problems at all so far - never needed narcotic pain relievers, no post-op bleeding, could sleep on my side 48 hours after surgery, am healing well and started working part time in week 2. I would absolutely choose this method again. Initially I was also given the choice of keeping or removing the ovaries, but then it was decided they needed to come out due to having a very high estrogen level.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register