Young Ladies - What side effects did you experience after hysterectomy, glad you did it, etc? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Young Ladies - What side effects did you experience after hysterectomy, glad you did it, etc? Young Ladies - What side effects did you experience after hysterectomy, glad you did it, etc?

Unread 09-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Young Ladies - What side effects did you experience after hysterectomy, glad you did it, etc?

Hello,
I am 27 and have a hysterectomy scheduled for Oct 22nd. I am feeling overwhelmed and scared. I would like to hear testimonies from women under 40, preferably in their 20's who have been through this. What side effects did you experience, glad you did it, ect? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Re: Young Ladies - What side effects did you experience after hysterectomy, glad you did it, etc?

I had it the month after I turned 42 so I won't answer but it would help if you expanded on why you are having the hysterectomy. I can say I wouldn't have wanted the hysterectomy so young and would advise my own daughter to do anything and everything to avoid a hysterectomy at 27. Good luck
Unread 09-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Re: Young Ladies - What side effects did you experience after hysterectomy, glad you did it, etc?

I agree with lizza!!!! I actually regret mine! So pls look at other options ! Xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2014, 02:33 PM

Thank you for responding ladies! My doctor is choosing this route for several reasons. I have Endo, PCOD, thickening of my endometrial lining and a polyp in my uterus, and a prolapsed uterus from having babies. I had three babies back to back so I think that had something to do with it. After my last son was born, almost 3 years ago, my periods became very painful and irregular which was odd for me. Then this year sex became more and more painful to the point that I can't have intercourse with my husband without being in severe pain. I started having abnormal bleeding randomly back in June with a water like discharge. I am in a lot of pain and its hard functioning and parenting three little ones. My doc thinks this is the only way to resolve the pain. If you ladies have any other suggestions I would love to hear them because even though I am DONE having children I am afraid of whatever other side effects could come along with me going through with this. My mom and aunt have both had hysterectomies due to fibroid's and they are telling me to just do it. My grandma had uterine cancer that spread to her ovaries so she also had a hysterectomy. My doc plans on keeping my ovaries unless the MyRisk genetic test comes back showing markers for ovarian cancer. If I am positive for the marker then he said I should have them removed as well during the surgery but I will not know this until the test comes back, hopefully in the next two weeks or so, so I have some time to think about it. I DO NOT want to have to start menopause this young. I have ulcerative colitis so I am on a vegan diet and eat very healthy to control my disease, I am not a big fan of taking meds. SO if I loose my ovaries I will have to look into alternative ways to manage my hormones. I would not want to take HRT. I really appreciate any advice you ladies can offer. THANK YOU SO MUCH
Unread 09-17-2014, 02:41 PM

Bindi, would you mind sharing with me why you regret yours?
Lizza, would you mind telling me why you would not have wanted one so young?
I'm really searching for wisdom and advice in regards to this huge decision!
Thanks ladies
Unread 09-17-2014, 02:54 PM

Hi,
I'm 38 and had a total hysterectomy 5 weeks ago (inc ovaries & tubes & cervix). My reason was for cancer prevention due to having Lynch Syndrome. I'm feeling great & no menopausal symptoms only because I actually went through that already when I was 30-33ish!! With you being so young if you do have a hysterectomy & ovaries removed, then the doctors will really urge you to take HRT to protect your bones first and formost. At 27 your bone density will not have reached it's optimum state and without eostrogen it will decrease very early in life for you so you'd be at a very high risk of osteoporosis developing. The HRT should also help with the horrid menopausal symptoms. Because I went through it early (after having my only child) I didn't realise until about 2 yrs on that my awful moods, hot flushes & irregular periods were all menopause related. If I'd been able to take something to ease all those symptoms life would have been far more pleasant back then! Good luck with your decision and I hope your genetic test result is good one x
Unread 09-17-2014, 03:04 PM

Thanks Gabby! My doc is testing me for Lynch Syndrome. Did you have any other symptoms or did you just have a positive test result for Lynch? I'm glad you are doing so well 5 weeks post op, thats wonderful
Unread 09-17-2014, 03:31 PM

I had mine almost a year ago, when I was 37. I was worried about my decision too, and recovery for me was prolonged, but now that that's over, I am SO glad I had the surgery done. In fact, I wish I had had the surgery 20 years earlier - there was so much needless suffering during that time! Life is so much better now!
Unread 09-17-2014, 04:50 PM

I'm in my 40's, but kept an ovary and am about 8 mo post op. I'm doing good. It was a long recovery, follow orders, save your ovaries of possible. I still ovulate, so get that 'sexy feel' each month. I had monster periods, I love not having them now. Glad I had mine done. Had adenomyosis, only cure is hysterectomy and hormones and anti inflammatories didn't work to help me, I was in daily pain. Dr told me , it boils down to your quality if life. I couldn't continue living like I was bedridden I felt so stinking bad. Only you can decide. I started a calender where I journaled my daily symptoms. I look back at that calender now and am so relieved I did it. It was do stressful living with adeno, it was stealing my life. We had an active love life and we have kept that. Cervix is gone, but it was so awfully painful anyway. If you feel uterine contractions w O's, that will be gone. But you adjust and it's fine. Just follow drs orders I don't feel 80 anymore!!!! It gave me my life back.
Unread 09-17-2014, 07:19 PM

K - I'm not young (44); but, I'm so glad I did it. No regrets. I do recommend keeping your ovaries - at 44 & done having babies, I enjoy sex & did not want instant menopause. And I strongly recommend finding a surgeon/doctor who is a Davinci pro - I think that has made a huge difference in my experience. I left my previous OB/GYN for many reasons & am so glad I did & found a Davinci surgeon (she has been doing Davinci for 4 years)….I just lucked out.

Here's what I posted elsewhere; but, good stories are worth repeating:
At 2 weeks: How I feel?
Yes - there have been moments when I have been surprised at being so fatigued & being emotional; but, I am way more happy that I am not dizzy, terrible vertigo, look 5 months pregnant, worried about how ginormous the fibroids were, can fit in my pants again (yeah - still swelly belly - but, NOT 5 mod pregnant swelly)…and my path report came back all benign (huge relief).

I stayed on top of the pain & enjoyed every minute of the Percacet - but, didn't need it way sooner than I thought. Now, I just take 200 mg ibuprofen when I get a headache (which is also getting way better ever day).

Every day really does better and better - no regrets. At all.

Oh & I can laugh & cough without peeing (first time in 7 years)!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register