Scheduled LSH I am confused. How much time do most people take off work after a Lap Hyster? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am confused.  How much time do most people take off work after a Lap Hyster? I am confused. How much time do most people take off work after a Lap Hyster?

Unread 03-12-2011, 07:48 PM
I am confused. How much time do most people take off work after a Lap Hyster?

I am 53 with 1 very large fibroid and a number of smaller fibroids. My job is not physically demanding, but it stressful with frequent 10-12 hour days. My doctor said I will probably need to take 1-2 weeks off, but it seems like a lot of women need to take more time off. What is your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Re: I am confused. How much time do most people take off work after a Lap Hyster?

Hi Diana - for me personally, there was no way I was ready for work at two weeks. For one thing, sitting in an office chair was extremely uncomfortable for too long at a time, and secondly I was still feeling very exhausted...more exhausted than I have ever felt before even with anemia. Even if the day started off well, I'd often be horizontal by late morning.

I planned on having 6 weeks off and only managed to do a little bit of parttime work ahead of that schedule.

My doctor was great and said she just wanted me to do what felt right and she supported me with that. I was ultra concerned with the notion of "healing right the first time" and since I was able to arrange the time away from work, I did so and was very glad I had.

I could not have imagined an 8 hour shift at 2 weeks, let alone 12 hours. I know everyone heals differently and maybe you will be up for it. But is it possible to plan for needing 6 weeks and if you can work parttime before that, go ahead? It would be really awful to feel pressure to go back before you are ready.

Unread 03-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Re: I am confused. How much time do most people take off work after a Lap Hyster?

My doc told me I should be good to return to work in 2 weeks, unless he has to open me up abdominally, then it will be 6. My HR person told me it would be easier to put in my leave request for the "worst case scenario" date and if I could come back early, I could with the note from the doc I will need anyways. That's my plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2011, 12:01 AM

I can't be of much help since I haven't had my surgery. My doc is saying to take 2 weeks off. I am planning on that being the best case scenario. I would for sure tell your work 2 weeks. 1 week is too soon. Tell them 2 weeks is best case scenario and that it could change.
Unread 03-13-2011, 12:07 AM

I'm 7 wks post op & tries going to my office to wrk 2 diff times. I got very anoid very easy, my bottom side hurt from sitting & and the fatigue kicked in over drive! I'm now on sabatical & will go back when I can run my house first! Then maybe I'll be strong enough for the office.
Unread 03-13-2011, 04:25 AM

I haven't had my surgery yet, but my doctor is saying 6-8 weeks. I'm having a TAH, however, I'm on my feet all day with my job.
Unread 03-13-2011, 04:54 AM

I've had 2 docs say 3 weeks with vaginal and 6 weeks with abdominal. In my case it won't be decided how it's done until he gets in there. I told my HR 3-6 weeks. And she was OK with this.
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:05 AM
I am confused. How much time do most people take off work after a Lap Hyster?

Thanks everyone for your help and thoughts. I told my boss I will be out two weeks, figuring I can always work at home the second week if I feel up to it. But now I am thinking I should let HR know it could be longer, especially if the surgery is more complicated than expected and they need to do a abdominal hysterectomy instead.

I just finished making a big pot of bean soup, so I can freeze individual servings. Next weekend I will make a batch of chili. While my husband is happy to cook for me his repertoire is fairly limited to the grill and takeout food. Have a happy Sunday.

Diana.
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:51 AM

I had a total daVinci surgery. At a day before two weeks, it was Thanksgiving and I had agreed to dine next door with our neighbors. It took me everything I had to shower, dry my hair and be dressed to be there at the appointed time. Sitting in an upright chair for the duration of the leisurely meal - and then on the sofa, being politely social for another two hours....I was wiped for two days afterward.

Arrange for the maximum time you can and if you return early or feel up to working from home earlier, be happy. I had surgery on 11/12 and returned to my desk job on 12/6 - and for that first month, I was tired often. Evenings were eat, clean up the dishes and rest followed by going to bed early.

I'm now four months' out and am back to normal (less about 30 lbs) - better than normal in several ways.
Unread 03-13-2011, 04:24 PM

For me, at two weeks I was still pretty foggy and daily life revolved about taking meds and the potty. I went to a dinner at 10 days, just a couple hours out, was exhausted and didn't get out of bed the next day.

Around 4 weeks I could see me going back to a desk job.

Unfortunately, I've had complications and won't be returning until 8 weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register