to hell and back in 9 weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

to hell and back in 9 weeks to hell and back in 9 weeks

Unread 03-29-2012, 11:19 AM
to hell and back in 9 weeks

I had abdominal hyst they left my ovaries on January 26th. From the first week after my surgery I felt something wasn't right. Week 2 my incision was totally healed up.I started to feel a small lump in my stomach 6 inches above my incision line (I'm over weight so have over hanging skin) gross I know. Anyway, this lump started to grow everyday by at least an inch round. My surgeon said it was a hematoma. It continued to grow until my stomach looked like I was 6 months pregnant!!! Week 5 my skin on my stomach got red and inflammed found out I had cellulitis . My stomach began to get thin and raw. Was treated with keflex. Week 7 my incision opened up about 1 inch and started draining. Went to emerg and they said I had a seroma. They did a ct scan and it was huge! They drained almost 4 liters of fluid/blood from that spot! I was admitted for 4 days on IV flagyl and keflex. During my stay in hospital the raw spots on my stomach had started to open up and drain They ended up packing my incision and cleaning the raw open spots. I was let out of hospital to go home with a nurse coming twice a day to pack and clean my wounds. Its gotten worse then is SLOWLY starting to heal up. The packing spot is getting better before the wounds I just finished my keflex and flagyl and now and on doxycycline to finish treating any infection. I am to the point of crying everyday I am so frustrated I just want to get better I am constantly tired and feel blah ! I'm 31 and feel like I'm in the body of a 90 year old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Re: to hell and back in 9 weeks

Oh my God! I had my hysterectomy the day before you had yours and my recovery has been pretty straightforward, apart from some pain, swelling and a little bleeding early on. I don't have any advice to offer just wanted to commend you for your bravery! Hang in there - the only way is up!
Unread 03-29-2012, 11:57 AM

You are dealing with some really rough stuff - I am sorry you are having such a hard time But it sounds like you are dealing with it and you are going to be able to overcome this. Everybody's experience is so, so different! I sincerely wish only the best for you and I am amazed at your strength. Keep being strong and pushing on. This is a battle you will win! Peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2012, 12:59 PM

Oh...my heart goes out to you. That is a LOT to deal with!!

Your youth is definitely an asset and hopefully you'll have smooth sailing from here on.

Sending you a heartfelt hug and wishes for a speedy recovery,

BlueMoon
Unread 03-29-2012, 01:04 PM

Thanks so much Ladies! Its great to know that people are here for me to vent to
Unread 03-29-2012, 01:21 PM

What a dreadful experience you have had. Thank goodness you are now on the road to recovery.
Unread 03-29-2012, 05:40 PM

Have faith it will slowly get better and may take quite some time.
A similar thing happened to my niece after she had a cyst removed from her breast. She ended up with a MERSA infection the size of a baseball in the skin right below where your bra sits. Yours sounds very much like what happened to her. It started out looking like a mosquito bite and within just a few days turned into a 2 month ordeal of wound packing and trips to the doctors for more checks/medications.

It took her a good 2 and a half months to really start feeling like herself and there were many days where she felt the same way you are. Hang on! It will get better.

Her experience is why I always tell anyone with a mystery lump after surgery to get it checked out.
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:14 PM

WOW!! you have sure been through it!! I commend you for hanging in there!..It sound like you have this whipped now. That is great!! You will begin to feel like yourself after that infection is completely gone. I didn't have an infection, but I did have major complications, and I am just starting to appreciate that I no longer hurt and bleed like I used to. I can bend and reach and don't have any pain where the Uterus and ovaries were. That kinda feels a little strange really. You will begin to notice that too. Take care and I am glad you are doing better. We are here for you vent anytime.
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Thanks again! I saw a plastic surgeon today that my hyst surgeon works with and he is pleased to see that things are looking up. He wants me to follow up in 3 weeks. He's talking about me losing some weight and getting a tummy tuck at NO COST TO ME! Are they trying to cover something up ? I do know that I asked for a drainage tube to be put in during my surgery because my incision was huge! Hip bone to hip bone to be exact. My surgeon said I didn't need one. Hmmm makes me wonder. I do have a question though for the last 2 weeks I have had a weird feeling vaginally. I use the bathroom to pee and after I'm done I have a pressure which feels like its inside my vagina or the very top? Its concerning but the gyn(surgeon) wants to wait until next week to check. Has anyone else had this?
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:34 PM

Maybe you can post this question as a new post so more people will see it. I don't have this problem, but it does sound like the bladder.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register