When I eat,I get awful pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When I eat,I get awful pain When I eat,I get awful pain

Unread 04-11-2005, 11:27 AM
When I eat,I get awful pain

Ok ladies...question...I am 3 weeks post-op tomorrow

Every time I eat, I get awful stomach/bowel pain. Like tons of gas, or the food moving through. I'm not sure how to explain this.

I am eating 3 small meals a day, I do not over-do, and I walk.

A hot 'rice sock' [like heating pad] helps, but I am in so much pain about 15 minutes after I eat I wonder if something is wrong?

Laying down, being still, seems to help..but it is an hour of agony before it all settles down.

The pain is in the lower left of my stomach, actually more my bowel region.[close to my pelvic/hip bone]

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2005, 11:38 AM

I am 2 weeks post op and am experience the same cramping pain. It's horrible. I go to the doctor tomorrow and will discuss this with her. My mom says I need to be taking a stool softner. We'll see what the doc has to say. Your not alone on this.
Unread 04-11-2005, 11:48 AM

Oh thanks for telling me I am not alone....I thought I was weird, or something was wrong.

I do take stool softererns now. My Dr. said one after each meal and 2 at night before bed. I really have no trouble pooping...just hurts a bit from the retocele repair.

But as you said the cramping after I eat anything is awful...driving me nuts!

Please post and let me know what you find out. I have been to the Dr twice...1 week to talk 2 weeks to have internal exam] but not since this started ,and I do not go back now until May 5th...but if this doesn't stop I may call him.

Thanks, Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2005, 04:33 PM

Hi Kate,

While gas pains can be really painful, I realy think you need to give your doctor a call. It's not normal to have such severe pain after eating, even if it is just gas. It definitely needs to be checked out. It might be nothing, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

s,

Lisa
Unread 04-11-2005, 05:59 PM

I dont know if what I experienced is similar ,or not, but i had terrible bloat and gas cramping after meals, no matter how large, or small,myself. I also had normal bm's so it wasn't constipation. I asked my DR at my 6 wk appointment as it hadn't let up at that point, yet, and he said it wasn't anything pertaining to my hyster!!!! He suggested that I talk to my family DR about it. I was a tad let down from that answer, since I hadn't experienced it before my hyster, mentioned it to my DR, was told to go for bloodwork at the lab on a Thursday, but had workload and oculdn't make it Thursday or Friday and ironically, by Monday, it seemed like it passed without me noticing it till someone at work asked how I made out with it. Now it's been 2 wks and it is gone????? I REALLY think it had alot to do with my surgery since I had the worst gas problems from the recovery room, but it is gone, and no other symptoms. The only thing I tried to do was avoid any gassy types of food and took GASX faithfully up until it left. So I don't know if it's the same thing, or not, I am curoius to see what your DR tells you though!!! Good luck...Kathy
Unread 04-12-2005, 08:18 AM

Hi Gals;

I did call the DR. He thinks it is gas moving through the bowel.

Basically...my bowel empties.[because of stool softeners]..then I eat...gas builds...I eat again, and the gas and food moves through, and is painful. My bowels have yet to 'awaken' fully. He told me they went through allot and the lower end of them were shoved around allot during my repair work.

He says to avoid all carbonation, do not drink anything through a straw, or out of a can...only use a glass, because you swallow air otherwise. Also sugers, starches, and too much fiber, all cause gas...who knew?

Also...I am now allowed to take my Nexium...because I have reflux, and he is very sorry he forgot to tell me to start that up again! Thanks Doc!!!!!! This he says, will help.....

BUT....SHASHI/LISA please let me know what your Doc says...just to compare notes!

Much Luv,
Kate
Unread 04-12-2005, 09:41 AM

Who knew GAS could be such a problem???
I asked for advice about this a few days ago, and helpful sisters suggested several things. I've been trying GasX, Smooth Move tea, and peppermint tea each day along with a prescription stool softener. I feel like this is helping - improvement is gradual. I'm 3 weeks post op today. Do you think at 6 weeks this gas problem will all be history?
Unread 04-12-2005, 10:02 AM

LindaRenee

You and I share the same date...3/22! 3 weeks today !!!

As for the gas problem.. ..man, I never thought it would be this bad.

I mean as 'Ladies', our whole lives weare taught Not to [excuse me] fart...

Now it is the only thing I want to do...like a trumpet!
To get rid of it! LOL !!!!!

My best to you, and all here...hoping the 'gas' goes away soon!

Much Luv, Kate
Unread 04-12-2005, 10:06 AM

Be sure you drink enough plain water.
Unread 04-12-2005, 05:38 PM
When I eat, I get awful pain

I must admit it is nice to read about others going through the same thing. I hit the 4 week mark yesterday and the most annoying thing for me is the tender swelly belly and that bloated full feeling and intestinal pain that at times can be gruesome.

Even though I've been eating smaller portions, it just seems with less activity and so much internal swelling that my body just couldn't handle it so this past weekend I decided to try drinking Slimfast for breakfast and lunch and small servings of healthy snacks in between (ex. grapefruit, orange, carrots, jello, strawberries, fruit popsicle, teaspoons peanut butter) along with water or plain ice tea.

So far it seems to be working and I feel much better during the day and am more able to enjoy a "normal" dinner (meat, potatoe, veggie) but I try to keep those portions to a minimum too cause if I eat the same portion size I had BEFORE surgery .. I again bloat up quickly and feel useless the rest of the evening.

In addition I take prilosec for acid reflux. I had been off it for awhile and doing well but not feeling too good digestively since surgery started to take it again and that too seems to help or a Tums from time to time. And I also take a stool softener twice a day .. one pill usually at 7am and another pill at 7pm .. and have been doing that since it was prescribed in the hospital. I figure it cannot hurt to take the stool softener for the first six weeks since that is when we are in the "worst shape" and adjusting to everything that's been done (I had full hysterectomy).

Since I've always gained excess weight in my stomach area I figure watching my diet more carefully too while being less active is a plus for the future. And I can honestly say that for me ... I have not had painful gas, intestinal cramping or anything since I began the Slimfast on Saturday (4/9) so it might be an option for others. Prior to that I tried to eat oatmeal, eggs w/toast, sandwiches for lunch but again it just seemed like too much for my system to handle at this point in time and when I came across some Slimfast powder that my husband used to use on occasion .. well it was worth the try and so far so good for me.

Meanwhile I'm taking it easy and catching up with my soap. magazines and doing little household things in between so I'm not a total couch potato .. but I will be glad when I get the "green light" to do more knowing I won't be doing any damage to what is still inside healing. I've been told by others that although we might feel we can resume to regular routines of cleaning (vacuming, cleaning floors, etc.) that it is still wise to not bend too much or push/pull, lift even if you think you are able. Better to ease into everything slowly cause we only have this one time to heal right!!

Hoping we all feel more energy and less achey, swelly by the time the nicer weather arrives. I live near Niagara Falls/Buffalo New York so we don't really get consistant warmer weather until late May and I hope by then I can get into my jeans and feel more comfortable (and maybe they'll even feel loose)!

Taking it day to day and reminding myself as well as everyone else in the same situation ... that this will all be a distant memory someday !!

Write me anytime if you feel like chatting!! :email:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register