Can a tipped uterus cause pain or constipation? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can a tipped uterus cause pain or constipation? Can a tipped uterus cause pain or constipation?

Unread 07-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Can a tipped uterus cause pain or constipation?

Hi, ladies. After reading a recent post, I was wondering if my tipped uterus could be pushing onto my bowel and causing my struggle with constipation all these years? Maybe after my hyst I won't have to be so darned careful about my diet and taking fiber every day (except post surgery, of course!)

Here's another puzzle I wonder about. I have also, on occasion, had an incredibly sharp and intense pain from my uterus right before a BM. I was thinking that it might be when my tender, pre-menstrual (and tipped) uterus is being pressed on by a passing "movement". The pain is so intense that I catch my breath, hold onto what ever furniture is handy and breathe through it. It's incredibly intense! Luckily, it only happens a few times a year. Does this scenario ring a bell with anyone? I've never mentioned it to my doc, feeling that since it only happens once in a while that it wasn't someting I could chase...

At least I'll be able to put together some answers after my hyster!

Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2006, 11:13 AM

i also had a tipped uterus. which gave me problems... i use to get sharp pains that felt like someone was stabing me with a pen or sharp utility knife...i was one of the lucky ones i had two children but they are 12 years apart because of the tipped uterus..it made it hard to concive... im 6 weeks post now,i never gave it a thought i have not had a sharp pain in weeks so maybe they will be gone,it was something i lived with and not really gave it a thought... hmmm
well good luck to you,hopefully it will help you too..
Unread 07-05-2006, 11:20 AM

I had a tipped uterus also and pains and constipation have not gone away for myself except for the fact I had soem with my cramps and that is gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2006, 12:56 PM

I had the same problems pre-op. The tipping and movement made the pain of the adhesions and fibroids worse. I had an ablation in 01' and my doc said it didn't help enough to reduce the heavy bleeding and other symptoms (it was like a life saving/changing procedure for me). He said I'd be back and he was right.

I used to only have the intense pain for a few days during my cycle then it started getting much worse really fast over the past few months. I would go on a liguid diet during my cycle so I wouldn't cramp as much. I never thought to try to treat the bowel problem since it was only cramping on my left side with lower back pain. I was never constipated but it did hurt to move my bowels only during my cycle. Then I thought I had a hernia since the only way I could go to the bathroom in that state was to push down on a painful spot on my front left side.

I got an emergency appointment on the 16th since I was in such intense pain my DH could stand the screaming/moaning. I felt so silly when the doc said I had bowel trouble (again I had never thought that was it was). The doc gave me an ultrasound and saw that I was bound up but couldn't see much else. After an enema, MoM, and phospho juice...I still felt pressure, tipping, dropping, etc but a touch lighter.

I was lucky to get scheduled for a LAVH so quickly (6-29), especially before my doc went on vacation. I had had a 2nd lap exactly a year ago so we were all surprised how quickly I relapsed.

I don't know all of the details of the surgery as of yet (my post-op is on the 11th) but my lovely tipped uterus had somehow flopped on top of one of my ovaries causing some extra unknown pain. I was happy to hear that it was freed by the surgery. I'm hoping that I'll have a bit more freedom from the pain too once I recover.

I just want to say to everyone on the pre-op list that I am so relieved to have had my hyst and have no regrets. My doc said 3 strikes and my uterus would have to come out I was waffling but once I got really sick the choice was gone and I moved full steam ahead. I've been battling with my uterus for 20 years (I'm 30) and I want something more out of my life. I was having more bad days than good and had just gotten used to it. I needed someone to remind me that what I was going thru wasn't normal and that I deserved better.

I only wish I had found this site sooner. I even told my Doc about it during my pre-op.

cyber-cat: hang in there and keep reading/posting as we'll all be there with you on your journey. Hopefully you'll only have 1-2 cycles left until you can tip your hat at your uterus rather than having it tip inside of you.

cheers.

-ebeb
Unread 07-05-2006, 05:47 PM

I have had the same problem. Much to my surprise the doctor said that was a symptom of a prolasped uterus, (pain during intercourse, constipation,and cramps) I felt like crying because I have had so many problems with my uterus and fibroids over the pass few years. My hysterectomy is July7, 2006.

Good Luck
Unread 07-05-2006, 08:52 PM

I have the same problem. Mine got so severe at one point I was put in the hospital. Come to find out I had an acute attack of diverticulitis. Then 2 months later, all the meds from period pain caused 9 ulcers in my stomach and put me in the hospital another week in Jan. I think a lot has to do with my prolapsed uterus because when I get cramps I get the "sharp" pain on the left side. And I immediately get diarrhea (sorry if TMI) taking fiber daily has aleviated some of that though. Good Luck with your surgery, hope all goes well!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register