Constipated - Nothing works! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Constipated - Nothing works! Constipated - Nothing works!

Unread 07-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Constipated - Nothing works!

I'm 6 days post-op TAH/RSO/TVT-O. Recovery has been going extremely well for me with exception of constipation. Am still on pain meds, and am not ready to stop those just yet. I have a history of constipation problems, and started taking Colace prior to surgery, and immediately after surgery. Been passing gas since post-op day 1. Been drinking tons of water, apple juice, and prune juice ... high fiber diet with lots of fruits, apple sauce, oatmeal, coffee, bran... lots of walking ... and of course, continued stool softeners. In hosp, was given suppositories day 3 and day 4 (no success).

Per Dr., finally took laxative on day 5 which worked (diareaha). But now getting backed up again. Dr. told me to "stay ahead" of it, but hesitant to rely on laxatives every-other day. Today I started the prune juice/bran/applesauce concoction .... no success yet.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2007, 10:13 AM

Hello. If your pain meds include oxycodone (OxyContin) or hydrocodone (Vicoden) or Tylox, it could be that these are increasing what sounds like an already uncomfortable situation. My doc prescribed Colace 2 x/daily, and it worked for me, but I did not take any of the prescribed pain meds. Sometimes making sure you are walking around can help relieve the problems, too. Colace has not, to my knowledge, been shown to be habit-forming. Best wishes to you in getting this issue resolved.
Unread 07-29-2007, 10:22 AM

I feel your pain...or I did 6 days after OP when I still hadn't had any movement. I was told it was normal and the doc told me Milk of Magnesium. Worked like a charm! Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2007, 10:31 AM

i think milk of magnesia would work good for you. right now you really dont have to worry about your body getting used to a laxative. its better to keep things moving at this point so you dont get too uncomfortable.
Unread 07-29-2007, 11:26 AM

I don't like the liquid stuff, so I take a Magnesium caplet (500mg) every night before I go to bed... it helps me a lot, on days that are really rough, I take two.

I hope you can comfortably go to the soon

When I was a few days post-op, when I was able to go my stomach would go into weird convulsions.... believe me... this does get better. Sending s your way!
Unread 07-29-2007, 12:28 PM

I take 500mg magnesium every morning after breakfast. I've heard if you take it late in the day it can keep you awake at night. Also, for lunch I drink a smoothie made from milk, black or blueberries, plain yogurt, and sometimes add some protein powder. Plus I have been eating more fruit, because some of the foods I used to eat just aren't as good to me since my surgery.
Unread 07-29-2007, 02:06 PM

Dear Jen:

I feel for you. I also have always had a sluggish bowel so the post op constipation is horrible. I tried stool softners and they were useless. I'm eating a high fiber diet supplemented with Benefiber 3 times a day. I am drinking tons and tons of water. I am walking as much as my body allows me and still nothing. The surgeon said it is ok to take Milk of Magnesia nightly. (Does anyone know if it is habit forming?!?!) He said it is "harmless." First dose I took the max--4 tbsps. It thankfully worked since I was getting quite uncomfortable. Next, dose I cut it in half and it still worked. I will discuss this matter in greater depth (among other things) when I see my regular gyn (different than my surgeon). I hope she has some better insight into the matter.

Best wishes.

Lisa

45-tah/bso-endo with strong family history of ovarian cancer
Unread 07-29-2007, 02:31 PM

Dear Jen,
I went through the same thing, finally went after 7 days. I took myself off percocet by day 3 because that slows the motility down. Took Benefiber daily & colace w/laxative in it & miracles happened. Suffered horrible gas pians just before movement for about 3-4 weeks but they, too disappear. Good luck. Hope things improve. By the way, by week 6 I feel as if nothing happened & I had a TAH, omentectomy, ruptured appendix w/pseudomyxoma peritomei which will require more surgery & chemo. My HELL hasn't started yet.
Best wishes,
Seirra
Unread 07-29-2007, 02:52 PM

Hi Jen:
Get off the pain meds and try the motrin alternating w/tylenol.. my doc said 600-800mgMotring 2-3 x / 24 hours and alternate w/tylenol (no more than the bottle states)
Next thing: Milk of Magnesium mixed w/prune juice "nuked" in the micro x 30 seconds and drink.. The warmth helps get the peristalsis of the bowel going. We used to give it to our cancer pts all the time... worked great..
Also I would stop the apple juice.. it is really gas forming and probably isn't helping your abd. pain.....
Water, and walk and walk....

Hope this helps.
Unread 07-29-2007, 05:01 PM

Hi Jen,

I have had the same problem, tried everything from laxatives, drinking water, walking, high fibre - nothing worked. I then read on one of the forums to try:
Equal amount of Prune juice, apple juice & Orange juice heat this up in the microwave for about 20 seconds, this worked for me and was very simple.

Hope you are feeling better soon

Sandra

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register