Pain and increase in discharge/bleeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain and increase in discharge/bleeding Pain and increase in discharge/bleeding

Unread 02-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Set backs?

I wonder if anyone has been having any set backs? I was hardly having any discharge, mild pink and not much of it, but today I awoke to a lot of pain in my abdoman and my discharge/bleeding has increased by about 2/3s. I have a sore back and much pain. It is not subsiding with the tylenol. I am terribly upset about this as I thought I was doing really well. Now I feel I am a failure in some ways. Can anyone relate? Am I the only one this has happened to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Pain and increase in discharge/bleeding

Hi Blink!

Recovery can be frustrating and sometimes it can seem like it's going backwards.

Have you been increasing your activity? Sometimes that will trigger an increase in discharge/bleeding. Is the bleeding bright red? That was a symptom my doctor wanted me to report. Also, if your pain is new it should also be reported.

Please call your doctor to share your concerns. It's worth it for peace of mind if nothing else. Your doctor can decide if you need to be seen or what to do (or not do!) until your next appointment.

Keep us posted, okay?

s
Unread 02-21-2009, 07:21 PM

Hi back April Dawn. Thank you for your response. It is not red, but clear pinkish but much more than there was. I am also feeling a lot of pressure. I cannot call the Dr. as it is the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2009, 07:27 PM

Blink- I am so sorry that you seem to have had a set back in your recovery. I think that I would rest as much as possible to see if that will help with the bleeding. If it is over doing it that has caused the bleeding then extra rest should help. If you are still having pain and bleeding on Monday give your doctor a call. If the pain or discharge gets really bad then I would make a quick trip to the ER. Best of luck to you.
Unread 02-21-2009, 07:29 PM

When I call my gynecologist's office before or after hours I get a medical answering service which takes a message to relay to the doctor on call. If I call my family physician's office, I get a recording with a number to call in case of emergency. If you can't reach your doctor one of those ways and are concerned, you can have someone take you to the emergency room to be checked if you're not feeling any better.

You're not a failure in any way. Recovery takes time, we don't all heal at the same rate and there are days when it seems there's no end to the problems. We're here to help you through the bad days...as well as the good ones yet to come.

Unread 02-22-2009, 02:00 AM

hi, just to let you know that you can have bleeding up to 4 weeks after a hysterectomy. I had almost nothing for a week and then 3 weeks of it after that. Check with your doc though as it will give you reassurance. If it red or it smells or there seems to be a lot of blood I would contact er or doc.
Keep on healing and pamper the princess. lol
Unread 02-22-2009, 02:12 AM

You are really very early in the recovery process and you can take one step forward and two back, feeling great one day (or even hour!) and not so good the next.

I would call the Dr even if it was the weekend if I had any concerns. Failing that, rest as much as you can and see if the symptoms subside. If they do, it would suggest that may be you have overdone it a little.

Let us know how you get on

Hugs
Unread 02-22-2009, 02:19 PM

Hi,

I am 4 weeks post op tomorrow. I had a picture perfect first week. Then into the second week I started spotting and then bleeding bright red. I was very nervous but had my post op two days later. The Dr. said everything (stitches) looked good and to anticipate some bleeding. After that I just spotted and then last week I had the same bright red bleeding that lasted for about 36 hours. I was very nervous so called my Dr. who again reassured me that it is normal for some and not for others. Please don't be to frightened and call your Dr. for re assurance tomorrow. On a good note it has stopped and there has been no bleeding for three or so days. If you fill up a pad every hour that is when you should worry...

I felt the same way, what am I doing wrong since I have been pretty active. just remember we are all different and will have different experiences so don't be hard on yourself!
Unread 02-22-2009, 08:55 PM

Thank you, all of you! I took your advise and laid low last night and most of today and am feeling much better! I guess the one step forward, two back will apply. It is so reassuring to have you who have done it, be there and be so supportive when we feel like we have no where to turn.
I am hoping tomorrow will be even better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register