Not Scheduled Women who have had hyster. for PMDD | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Women who have had hyster. for PMDD Women who have had hyster. for PMDD

Unread 07-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Women who have had hyster. for PMDD

Hi,
I am new to the forum even though I have been reading hyster sisters for over a year now. I will introduce myself in the other section. I wanted to hear from ladies who had a hysterectomy (ovaries taken out or left in) who suffer from PMDD.

I am definitely getting a hysterectomy. I am tired of being in pain and I tried for years different alternatives and have accepted the fact that this is what I need to do. I am 35 years old.

I am trying to decide whether I should have my ovaries taken out or left in and would love to hear from others who have had this surgery and the results and how the PMDD was affected?

Thank you in advance,
Jenn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Re: Women who have had hyster. for PMDD

What kind of symptoms do you have & how were you diagnosed?
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms*sissycat View Post
What kind of symptoms do you have & how were you diagnosed?
I was diagnosed a number of years ago...about 10 years but after my pregnancy I got much worse in my opinion. I also have endometriosis which I have had 3 lap. surgeries on. I suffer from mood swings to rage to severe depression and anxiety. Some months are worse than others and I have tried psychotropic drugs which made me worse and birth control and all the natural things you are suppose to try.

Even my husband notices...he really doesn't say much but he said lately I notice alot when you get to the time of your month how bad things are. It starts when I ovulate and end at the first to third day when I am on my cycle.

I eat a ton and life is just down right miserable for 10-14 days of the month.

I have to say that my cramps are a bit better after I had my child but not significantly.

Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2010, 11:04 PM

Hi Jenn,
I was 31 when I had my hysterectomy and I also had both ovaries removed. Although the primary reason for my hysterectomy was endometriosis, I also believe I suffered from PMDD but was never officially diagnosed with it. I chose to have my ovaries removed for several reasons...

1. Frequent cysts (endo)
2. Fear of cancer in the future
3. Hormonal imbalance

The decision to have my hysterectomy (and remove both ovaries) has DRAMATICALLY changed my life. Being on HRT has evened out my mood because of the steady level of estrogen as opposed to constant flucuations. I no longer suffer from pain in any way, shape, or form!!
Ultimately the decision is yours and not everyone will agree with it (especially people who really don't understand what you are going through). I wish you all the best!

Kim
Unread 07-23-2010, 01:34 AM

Hi Jen, glad you are here asking questions. This is a big decision. Although I had mild endometriosis which caused me to have severe menstrual cramps about 1 week out of every month, the PMDD took so much more out of my life. 2 weeks before my period it was like a switch and I became a horrible person. I was either homicidal or suicidal. It interfered in all aspects of my life.
I am 7 months post op and I have to say that finding the right dose/method and combo of HRT has been extremely difficult and I'm still struggling to find the right one. I have new symptoms now after the surgery and while trying to find the right HRT that I didn't have before. It can take some women 6 mos. to a year to find the right HRT and I seem to be one of them. I don't know if you will be. I do believe, however, that once I find the right HRT the hysterectomy with removal of ovaries is the right choice. If you don't remove your ovaries, PMDD will not be cured because the ovaries are the source and not the uterus.
I had used Lupron before the surgery. The only other thing I didn't try and I stumbled upon it only after the surgery was in 2 books called "screaming to be heard" and "it's my ovaries stupid" by Elizabeth Vliet. She talks alot about this condition and I think you'll find lots of answers and information so that you can make an informed decision or maybe even try another treatment that you haven't already. Best wishes to you.
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanou-ct View Post
Hi Jen, glad you are here asking questions. This is a big decision. Although I had mild endometriosis which caused me to have severe menstrual cramps about 1 week out of every month, the PMDD took so much more out of my life. 2 weeks before my period it was like a switch and I became a horrible person. I was either homicidal or suicidal. It interfered in all aspects of my life.
I am 7 months post op and I have to say that finding the right dose/method and combo of HRT has been extremely difficult and I'm still struggling to find the right one. I have new symptoms now after the surgery and while trying to find the right HRT that I didn't have before. It can take some women 6 mos. to a year to find the right HRT and I seem to be one of them. I don't know if you will be. I do believe, however, that once I find the right HRT the hysterectomy with removal of ovaries is the right choice. If you don't remove your ovaries, PMDD will not be cured because the ovaries are the source and not the uterus.
I had used Lupron before the surgery. The only other thing I didn't try and I stumbled upon it only after the surgery was in 2 books called "screaming to be heard" and "it's my ovaries stupid" by Elizabeth Vliet. She talks alot about this condition and I think you'll find lots of answers and information so that you can make an informed decision or maybe even try another treatment that you haven't already. Best wishes to you.

I really hope that you find the right HRT doseage. I am hoping that I ill get pain relief and some relief from the PMDD even though my ovaries will be in. I knew a few people who had PMDD and left their ovaries in and they did have some relief in their emotions and one woman I knew who had her ovaries taken said she was like a new person. See I can't be on HRT due to my clotting disorder and I already had DVT's. I am not worried about the surgery.

Thanks for your input.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register