TAH and Walking | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH and Walking TAH and Walking

Unread 09-04-2010, 07:51 AM
TAH and Walking

My TAH was 3 weeks & 4 days ago and I've gotten the go-ahead to walk "as much as you are comfortable with." She told me to walk until I'm tired or uncomfortable and then try to walk a little more the next day. I walked for about 15 minutes - slowly - yesterday up and down my driveway. This morning I walked about 20 minutes, again slowly. I never let myself get too far from the house.

Is anyone else with a TAH walking? If so, how long ago was your surgery and how much are you walking at this point?

Thanks for the input. I love this site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Re: TAH and Walking

I am at 3 weeks 1 day and I have been walking much as I can since I woke up on doctors orders.

I had no complications during or after my surgery except for spotting starting day 10. If you had a difficult surgery that might be why you had to wait.
Unread 09-04-2010, 08:20 AM

I had my TAH 8 days ago. I had to stay flat in bed for 24 hours and then was told to walk as much as I could. Once I came home my mom and I would walk down to the end of the block and back twice a day. Thursday I got my staples out and that helped so much. I went to Wal-mart yesterday and we walked around for awhile. I was worn out when we got home - but not really sore. I too am walking like I have a corn cob up my rear as my DH so kindly puts it - but slow and steady is better than fast and painful I think.
I hope you are doing good.

Hugs, Whitney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2010, 08:36 AM

My TAH was Wednesday 9/1, 3 days ago and I was allowed to walk the next day. I've been walking since they let me but only until I know my body is telling me "enough". It has helped with my gas and from previous surgeries I know it will help me heal faster as long as I don't push it. Every couple of hours I try to walk about 15 minutes around the house but not speed walking, just as fast as I'm comfortable. I haven't ventured outside yet but will be as soon as I have someone to go with me. You know your body and how much is too much plus everyone is different. Do what you can and don't hurt yourself.
Unread 09-04-2010, 08:48 AM

I had my TAH on Wed the 1st. I've been walking since the 2nd. I am walking when I'm not tired. As soon as I feel tired, I sit and rest or nap. Walking helps me feel better. I just walk really slow and make sure I listen to my body.
Unread 09-04-2010, 10:29 AM

I am 8 weeks out from a TAH and was allowed to walk at 5 weeks...thought that day was never going to come! I mean I was getting around the house and the stores but no fitness walking...my doctor allowed me to do a 1 mile first and then build up if I didn't see any spotting. I hope you can keep it up and get a little bit in each day...sunny and almost "cool" in GA today...I got out and did 3 miles today with my neighbor. I've heard the exercising helps our bodies heal...but like we all know...don't overdo.....!
Unread 09-04-2010, 02:10 PM

My TAH was 10weeks 3 days ago. At 3 weeks I was barely able to walk 10 minutes without getting completely exhausted. It has just been in the last week that I have been able to walk for more than 10 or 15 minutes, at a sustained pace.

At this point, I am walking every day, for 20 minutes at a sustained, decent pace, I guess it is decent. It took me 20 minutes to walk a mile.

Anyway, please be careful and take your time, and listen to your body. I always tried to stop before I got tired and uncomfortable. It has been a long road but now I do see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is not an oncoming train! ;-)
Unread 09-04-2010, 07:43 PM

I too started walking at week 2 but only about a half a block. I'm now at week 3 and 1/2 and am walking(at a slower pace)for about 10 minutes. It seems my legs start getting tired before my abdomen starts to ache so I guess my body knows when enough is enough.
Remember-slow and easy, don't try to rush your healing.
Unread 09-04-2010, 07:47 PM

2.5 miles - slow .. 1 week after surgery..relieved gas, etc
Unread 09-04-2010, 08:20 PM

I currently walking around the block, but quite slowly and that is enough for me! I wish I could do more but no sense in being silly about it I guess.

You are doing well!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register