When is everyone going back to work? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When is everyone going back to work? When is everyone going back to work?

Unread 02-28-2012, 02:30 AM
Re: When is everyone going back to work?

Going back that is the big question. I saw my Dr yesterday I am at 8 weeks and not going back to Grocery store job until April 1st. He said same thing when your ready. I have a sharp pain very low in my abdomen, he checked and some of my stiches around my bladder are not healed. The other thing I work and I lift for 6 hours and I mean heavy items 50 to 60 pounds, use a pallet jack and a Uboat to move stock and supplies around the store. I checked oneday on a pedometer and I can walk up to 6 miles in a shift. Thewalking would be great but not pushing , pulling tugging and up down up down for 6 hours. That was my biggest concern that I would not heal properly and cause myself more problems. I have heard horror stories of women doing too much too soon and ending up having over a year of surgeries to repair the mess they made, by too soon. My other job which is facials and waxing I started 2 weeks after, but its not demanding, I set the appointments so if I feel only able to do two people or one then thats it for the day. I also can sit when I do a facial. My clients have been great they help me carry the laundry to my car. I had dvh and only one of the little holes is tender and that is because of the muscle it went through per dr. I still tire easy and I test my ability to lift by trying little things, I still can't lift a 40 pound box of cat litter or Pellets. I can lift my two year old granddaughter, she has to get into my lap and then I can stand up with her. This is serious surgery, my job would be liable if something happened on the job that caused me harm. I told them 12 weeks when I went out I wanted to be sure, so I am glad my Dr agreed. If I had a desk job it would have been easier and I could ease back into gradually, grocery store once your back its full swing, no sitting or lounging there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2012, 07:25 AM

I am 6 weeks tmw and not ready. I am going back at 8 weeks only part time, to see how things go. I admit to being totally jealous of people who are feeling so good! I have been slower to recover - but am recovering. I have a total desk job, and am worried about that ... But my employer has been patient with me and wants me to ease back slowly. Thank goodness ... I was planning to go back to work the week before and 'practise sit'. Just for an hour or so everyday ... Start catching up slowly so I don't feel quite so overwhelmed. Now I am doing that at home (practise sitting) but being in the actual work environment is different. The office will be very quiet that week, takes the pressure off me ...
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:33 AM

My dr asked if I was ready to go back in 2 weeks(which would be 7 weeks). I asked for 1 more and he was fine with it.
Of course, I think my substitute can't stay for the 3 weeks so now I am starting to feel guilty. I know that kids will be fine - they don't care who is there as long as they can play! but I really wanted a consistent person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2012, 01:14 AM

I went back after 4 weeks working 10-11 hours a day 5 days a week boss ignores me so she doesn't care as long as I get the work done, stressed and hectic job supporting ministers. On call and start at 7.30am. Really feeling it. If you have choice to stay home then do it.
Unread 02-29-2012, 02:16 AM

I went back this week after 3 weeks, was okay but a bit uncomfortable sitting at computer and have decided not to do last 2 days of the week...see how I feel next week. Good luck everyone...

Thinking walking a small dog would be ok...but no letting him pull you.
I am walking each day and loving it.
Unread 02-29-2012, 03:51 AM

I was told walking is good. How much can a tiny dog tug you You should do fine. If it begins to be uncomfortable stoo
Unread 02-29-2012, 04:22 AM

My puppy is 25 pound and like to pull powerfully and unexpectedly; it took me around 6 weeks before I even tried to walk her, and I do feel it in my tummy when she pulls... often I hold the handle of the leash in my right hand, loop the leash behind me and guide/control her with my left hand, so that sudden jerks are absorbed more by my butt/hips than by my arms.

I also like walking to work and carrying in bottles of vitamin water, but I only carry them in a shoulder tote so the weight is not in my hands. Both these approaches help me minimize the kind of strain that could cause damage.

Damage is the word, ladies, more than exhaustion, or even pain. Whenever you go back to work, whatever your job or other people's expectations of you, you don't want to hurt yourself, right? As long as you keep that a priority and step back from things that you were told are risky for you, you will be okay.

I did not know that bending too soon could damage my vaginal cuff, but I was told not to bend the first couple of weeks so I didn't. As far as I know, sitting too long at my desk will not damage anything, but it certainly puts pressure on the healing parts, and if I do it too long, I feel like I got stabbed, the pain is so sharp. At that point I have to be on my feet, whether I walk home or just take a long break in another room. But if I let the pain get that bad, I really am finished doing any worthwhile desk job for the day.

I went back from TAH at 6 weeks with the first two being part-time. The first week that I did 8 hour days, I was in a lot of pain, left early a few times, an barely made it through the week. That was because my job really is totally computer-oriented and there was no way to divide my time between standing and sitting while catching up the work left from my 6 week leave.

Now, with over 2 months recovery, I am feeling more normal, definitely not 100% but I can assume I'll make it through the work week. As for other people's opinions, that is irrelevant. Whenever people ask how I feel, I say "better".... not "great!" or "wonderful" as I did pre-op. That was a habit of mine and I am determined to break it... we often imply things are fine with us even when they aren't... if I am just trying to shrug off a little headache or an argument with my husband, I might 'act as if' everything is fine. But our major surgery and its aftereffects are not 'little' and we do ourselves a disservice if we see them that way.

Keep in mind that it can take up to a year for internal stitches to heal and for us to be able to say we are 100% recovered. Think before you do anything that may be unsafe or painful for you and respect your body's timeline in recovery.

By the calendar I am around 50% healed. I am doing a lot of what I used to do, but I try to stop myself before doing something stupid (like picking up that 25 pound puppy from a standing position) so I DON'T DO IT!

Whether you go back at 2 weeks or 3 months, please stay alert and respect your healing process. As is often said here, you only have one chance to do it right the first time.
Unread 02-29-2012, 05:57 AM
When is everyone going back to work?

My dr is letting me return at 4 weeks but I talked him into giving me 5 weeks
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:06 AM

Re : going back to work. I had the da vinci on Feb.15. Today will be 2 weeks. I'm feeling great but that's because I'm not working. I can definetly tell when ive been too active. Even a couple hr. Shopping trip wears me out. Still cant imagine working again. Originally my doc told me id be ready in 3 weeks!!!! Ha!! Well that's for a desk job he continued. My job is physical so I'm taking 4 weeks off total. Going back only out of financial necessity. I don't have any benefits at work. The state of Illinois doesn't have any short term disability benefits and I'm a single mom who lives paycheck to paycheck so.... still cant believe its all over. Hang in there ladies!!!
Unread 02-29-2012, 05:15 PM

I WANTED to get back to work because I was so bored and felt fine and was out of sick time. I worked my full shifts last week and had no problems! I went back at six weeks. I'm an RN and work three 12 hour shifts. I wasn't any more tired than usual or anything. I had vag hysto, sling placed, anterior and posterior repairs and am 45. I guess its a combination of listening to your doctor and your body. I was really happy to be back at work.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register